Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So Solus got a new look...
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

So Solus got a new look...

jhjh Member
edited April 2013 in General

And so did OnApp (just got the update). What you think?

Comments

• Although its better than SolusVMs, I prefer the old design personally.

• i prefer the old solus interface.. i dont want it to be pretty and i don't want to see it daily!!!

• What's the point with these design changes, really? Fix the f****ine code, please. The design is not that important. For me, anyway.

• New solus looks so trashy... will have to reskin this for sure.

• DStroutDStrout Member
    edited April 2013

@rds100 said: The design is not that important. For me, anyway.

Then you shouldn't care if it changes to something you consider ugly. I think the new SolusVM looks OK, just way too much like all the other BootStrap apps, which, while unfortunate and shows a lack of creativity, doesn't matter since I spend less than five minutes in SV every day. I think the real news with it (as I see it in the video) is the greater use of AJAX.

• +1 for the old OnApp design, not sure what made them change it.

• @BradND said: New solus looks so trashy... will have to reskin this for sure.

Are you serious or is it sarcasm? I like the design from the video :) It's a lot better than it currently is for sure. Solus will probably finally have a decent font size. I would have preferred @soluslabs to fix the code first, interface later, though.

@jhadley said: And so did OnApp (just got the update). What you think?

It's confusing, to say the least. Those icons? They don't say a thing to me. The tag with the $ on it, does it give me discounts? The cloud? What's that? The compass? Does it come with navigation? The icon left of James Hadley? Is that a switch I can pull? What does it do?

• jhjh Member

The left menu bar does actually fold out, I just closed it down to avoid showing everything inside the admin area.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited April 2013

@mpkossen said: Are you serious or is it sarcasm? I like the design from the video :) It's a lot better than it currently is for sure. Solus will probably finally have a decent font size. I would have preferred @soluslabs to fix the code first, interface later, though.

I dislike it too. I mean Bootstrap is nice when applied properly, but that black bar on the top just makes me cringe (its seriously overused). The main page is fine, but all the other pages have tons of unused white space that just makes it look mediocre and sloppy.

That above comment was about Solus's new theme, not OnApp's new theme.

• LukeTLukeT Member

It looks as if solus is creating a blank canvas for people to retheme from, the new design half looks like a step backwards.

• A plan should work and provide all needed features. The design isn´t so important, it should work correctly :) Solusvm should spend lot´s of time to integrate some new features and don´t do any new designs. If everyone need a corporate design or something, they should sign on a designer.

• when new solus design being launched?

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited April 2013

I've been working on a simple theme for SolusVM based on Zurb. If/When I finish it, I will just dump it on GitHub for anyone to use.

How SolusVM currently does theming is horrible.

• @MrAndroid: Me gusta

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@MrAndroid Looking good

• Just FYI

The new theme is far more versatile, quicker and easier to modify. It uses more Ajax as @DStrout said. Pretty much anyone can drop a new header and footer in to wrap it. You don't even need to clone the template if you want to modify it, you just drop the custom header/footer files in the original folder and they won't be overwritten in a update.

@fileMEDIA said: A plan should work and provide all needed features. The design isn´t so important, it should work correctly :) Solusvm should spend lot´s of time to integrate some new features and don´t do any new designs. If everyone need a corporate design or something, they should sign on a designer.

The idea behind the new design is so we can start adding the new features. There is no point in adding them to the older templates.

• Looks good to me. One issue I think could be looked at is the nasty effect having one or two nodes down has on the panel.

• @Jack said: @soluslabs + Others; what issues do people have with Solus atm? it just works for me... Wish I could say the same for WHMCS.

I find Solus to get better with each iteration. I know there have been problems in the past; however things generally work.

• jhjh Member

@ShardHost said: One issue I think could be looked at is the nasty effect having one or two nodes down has on the panel.

This was my main gripe when I used it - really like OnApp's command queuing.

• @jhadley said: This was my main gripe when I used it - really like OnApp's command queuing.

How is OnApp? We were waiting for v3 to dip our toes into the water

• @Jack said: It's not the fact the nodes are down is it? isn't it when clients are processing reboots when the node can't connect and it kills PHP as it cant process the request?

Pretty sure the polling causes lockup on the panel.

• jhjh Member

Yes that's right @Jack

Can't complain about OnApp - works a charm and everyone is very helpful.

• edited April 2013

@jhadley said: Can't complain about OnApp - works a charm and everyone is very helpful.

Are you still using local storage only? I know you had SAN before for UKcloud

• jhjh Member

@ShardHost local storage but if I were doing a fresh deployment I would use OnApp Storage.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Jack said: I'm pretty @Francisco has the same issue as when they did the Vegas move they said they left Stallion down due to it would just cause locks up from clients trying to boot?

That's because we both fork processes into the background to do work loads. After a while PHP just gets crapped on though.

Stallion 2 is moving to a proper job queue system that will let us ram in however many jobs a second we want and it'll chew through it w/o causing issues.

It took a lot of reading to find a platform that did what we wanted.

Since everything is done in PHP I'm not able to just write a simple queue system in PHP without it being blocking :(

Francisco

• jhjh Member

@Francisco are you using Rails for the queuing system by any chance?

@jhadley said: @Francisco are you using Rails for the queuing system by any chance?

Fuck no why would I ever touch rails?

What a terrible idea.

Francisco

• jhjh Member

@Francisco just wondered as OnApp seem to think its a good idea ;)

@jhadley said: @Francisco just wondered as OnApp seem to think its a good idea ;)

OnApp also thought using 3ware RAID cards was a really good idea for their SAN's.

Francisco

• @ShardHost said: Looks good to me. One issue I think could be looked at is the nasty effect having one or two nodes down has on the panel.

Thats another good point. You now have the option to put a node in maintenance so the client can't manage it

That will help. It will also disable the api's