Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone using letbox.com?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone using letbox.com?

I'm wondering if anybody is using letbox.com. I was thinking about giving them a try. They seem to have been in business for quite a while so that's a good thing I guess. I found some mixed reviews on them and their website kinda puts me off but you know, sometimes those are the ones with the best services :)

Comments

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

Creation Date: 2000-01-04T16:29:36Z o.O

Admin Country: Egypt

• I'm also very interested but:

Oops, there's a problem...
    Out of Stock

We are currently out of stock on this item so orders for it have been suspended until more stock is available. For further information, please contact us.

• rpollestadrpollestad Member
    edited July 2015

I've been a customer for more than two years and have nothing but good things to say about them. As noted above, they're Egyptian, so there is the occasional language barrier in support tickets but I next to never have to bother with needing support since the services are stable.

The above said, the recently just migrated all VPS from Seattle to LA (mine was migrated yesterday), so it's possible that future stability could differ. Just have to see how the new data center performs. (It's Quadranet, so it'll be fine.)

Probably my only regret is only buying one VPS from them when I had the chance. They haven't run another similar sale since then, and it's been a few years.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2015

@Saragoldfarb said:
    I'm wondering if anybody is using letbox.com. I was thinking about giving them a try. They seem to have been in business for quite a while so that's a good thing I guess. I found some mixed reviews on them and their website kinda puts me off but you know, sometimes those are the ones with the best services :)

Happy to help if you have any question.

@inthecloudblog said:
    I'm also very interested but:

Which package looking for?

@rpollestad said:
    I've been a customer for more than two years and have nothing but good things to say about them. As noted above, they're Egyptian, so there is the occasional language barrier in support tickets but I next to never have to bother with needing support since the services are stable.

The above said, the recently just migrated all VPS from Seattle to LA (mine was migrated yesterday), so it's possible that future stability could differ. Just have to see how the new data center performs. (It's Quadranet, so it'll be fine.)

Probably my only regret is only buying one VPS from them when I had the chance. They haven't run another similar sale since then, and it's been a few years.

The performs will be much better and now we have DDoS-Shield Mitigation with both location Dallas and Los Angeles as well as IPv6 once Migrate Compete. We can do the same deal you have for you or anyone else's.

Ps: we moving to Psychz Not Quadranet and to be fair we loved the performance with Psychz so far.
    Thanks

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • They're decent. The network in Seattle wasn't too hot when I got the box, but it has gotten a lot better recently. They were helpful when I had made some complaints and went as far as moving the box to another rack to test things, etc. Overall a pretty positive experience thus far with a few quirks in the beginning.

Thanked by 1elliotc
  • @4n0nx said:
    Creation Date: 2000-01-04T16:29:36Z o.O

Admin Country: Egypt

Yeah I noticed. Language shouldn't be a problem as usually I don't need any support at all. Unless their services turn out to be a mess of course but whenever that's the case I just pack my stuff and leave. I usually don't bother with refunds either as it's not worth the time :)

@key900 said:
    Happy to help if you have any question.

Thanks. No further questions ATM.

@mikeyur said:
    They're decent. The network in Seattle wasn't too hot when I got the box, but it has gotten a lot better recently. They were helpful when I had made some complaints and went as far as moving the box to another rack to test things, etc. Overall a pretty positive experience thus far with a few quirks in the beginning.

OK, sounds promising then. I will probably give them a try. If it doesn't work out at least I'll end up with another review to add :)

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • @key900 - sorry I got the DC wrong. I didn't bother to check. I just knew I got migrated to LA. So far, so good.

Please run another 2GB special soon. :)

@rpollestad said:
    key900 - sorry I got the DC wrong. I didn't bother to check. I just knew I got migrated to LA. So far, so good.

Please run another 2GB special soon. :)

We will as soon as possible just need to clean things up.

Thanks

• gincognitogincognito Member
    edited October 2017

Old post, but the first hit on google for Letbox reviews.

Stay away, far away.

My VPS has been rebooted multiple times in the month I've had it. No email, no updates to their status page. Just unscheduled surprise down time. They offer no refunds. You're going to pay to try out their service, and you're going to be very disappointed.

• What did they say when you asked them about it? There might be an issue with your VM, such as an out-of-memory condition, that they're not going to know about.

• FWIY, my server with letbox has been stable since the day I set it up. There was an occasion where I left a live CD running when I first got it, which ran away and used 100% CPU for an hour until they emailed me to let me know and gave me a chance to fix it, they didn't even shut it down or suspend like some providers do.

Then just the other day I got an email from them offering a partial credit because of some server issues, which I never noticed even happening. In saying that, I don't monitor that server so it may have gone down but I never noticed.

I would recommend their services, they give off a little bit of an unprofessional vibe though with the website (LETbox = low end talk box?) but other than that not too bad. I wouldn't run anything mission critical on it, but if you had mission critical apps you'd be using a dedicated server and be paying anywhere from 5 to 100 times the monthly price.

That's my $0.02.

edited October 2017

And down again, in fact, they seem to be down completely, even letbox.com is down. Putting aside network issues, which to some (some) degree are out of their control, the box has been involuntarily rebooted 4 times in a month.

• honestly they are pretty good.

edited October 2017

They're really not pretty good at all. Down again. Been down for almost 10 minutes now. And according to their status page there's no problems, wasn't on Oct 27th either, even through their main site was down and my VPS had been rebooted. And since their main site is down, there's no way to even file a support ticket.

$ ping letbox.com
    PING letbox.com (144.172.68.2): 56 data bytes
    Request timeout for icmp_seq 0
    Request timeout for icmp_seq 1
    Request timeout for icmp_seq 2

Double checked with downrightnow.com which says...

"Letbox.com is DOWN for everyone. It is not just you. The server is not responding..."

edited October 2017

It finally came back up after more than an hour. I went to submit a ticket and currently this from their ticketing system.

Critical Error: Could not connect to the database."

Edit: All of my.letbox.com currently throws that. letbox.com itself throws a 500. I'm done with letbox, they can keep the money. It's amateur hour over there.

Edit2: Haha, status.letbox.com has finally been updated:

Our Main node shutdown and won't boot up We are investigating this for you now and will advise shortly.

Update: We replace the power cable and it booted up.

Wait, what? "Main node". What is a main node? You rely on ONE BOX to keep things working? One box with a single non-redundant supply of power? REALLY? My landscaping sprinkler system has more redundancy than that.

• @gincognito is your VPS in Los Angeles, on Node LA09?

• Possibly? Hard to say, their service page is still down.

• Client area is down but the VPS management panel is up

edited October 2017

Logging into that page doesn't work for me. Who knows what their deal is, but I think it is safe to say at this point, just based on what caused their latest outage, that their architecture isn't sound. Given that they had to go physically replace a bad power cable, they clearly had no disaster recovery plan in place for the one node that their entire service hinges on.

@gincognito said:
    Logging into that page doesn't work for me. Who knows what their deal is, but I think it is safe to say at this point, just based on what caused their latest outage, that their architecture isn't sound. Given that they had to go physically replace a bad power cable, they clearly had no disaster recovery plan in place for the one node that their entire service hinges on.

Thanks for your feedback we will make this happen, right now the issue not effect with anyone and if you don’t like the services i’m happy to give you refund.
    I will ensure that we will upgrading our system to be better and fit clients needs.

Thanks you

Thanked by 1Frameworks
  • Does Anyone know the average response time to a ticket on Letbox. I've had a rather important ticket pending for a day now with no response.

• Check their support ticket system for your ticket number. Chances are it might have disappeared.

It looks like my support ticket from October disappears after their ticketing system hiccupped on Monday Oct 30th.

See ya...

d.c.

Thanked by 1jonscookie
  • I'm having problems here too, the client area loads but nothing responds, noVNC doesn't load either. All 3 of my VMs were rebooted a couple of days ago too by the host. I'm losing faith in LETbox ;(

@dahartigan said:
    I'm having problems here too, the client area loads but nothing responds, noVNC doesn't load either. All 3 of my VMs were rebooted a couple of days ago too by the host. I'm losing faith in LETbox ;(

Hello,

We haven't rebooted anyone it was since 9 or 10 days ago and we did announced that. please send me your register mail i will looking into it. Our Client Area restored no issue.

@imchandave said:
    Check their support ticket system for your ticket number. Chances are it might have disappeared.

It looks like my support ticket from October disappears after their ticketing system hiccupped on Monday Oct 30th.

See ya...

d.c.

Send me the Ticket id you though it gone and you mail i will looking into it.

@jonscookie said:
    Does Anyone know the average response time to a ticket on Letbox. I've had a rather important ticket pending for a day now with no response.

I don't see any tickets in the area please send me the ID ticket i will take a look.

• I've completely moved off of Letbox now, but I left the monitoring going.

VPS was rebooted again yesterday, then the network went down for ~ an hour. Their status.letbox.com shows no problems. Geez.

@gincognito said:
    I've completely moved off of Letbox now, but I left the monitoring going.

VPS was rebooted again yesterday, then the network went down for ~ an hour. Their status.letbox.com shows no problems. Geez.

Hello,

We have no reboot since if your services rebooted submit ticket so we can looking into it. If your VPS rebooted not means we reboot our services. please kindly stop doing false details before confirmed.

• Another 3 hours of downtime. This one actually did show up on their status page:

"Description: For better performance We will do fsck for the following nodes LA13"

OpenVZ containers can be live migrated. I'm not sure why they didn't move affected customers to another node instead of taking them down for 3 hours.

• Again, downtime. 40 minutes here, 15 there. Took a bunch of customers down on the 9th. Someone really needs to figure out the live migration story over there.