Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Life after CrashPlan: why they sucked, why Backblaze & B2 suck, Glacier vs Others - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Life after CrashPlan: why they sucked, why Backblaze & B2 suck, Glacier vs Others

Comments

• williewillie Member
    edited October 2017
    1. For online bulk storage/backup I've been happy with various storage VPS including Time4VPS and ZXHost, Hetzner auction dedi, Hetzner Storagebox, and Online.net C14, generally in the $3-5/TB range. I don't see reason to mess with Backblaze.

2. After that thread about someone's disks being seized from their Hetzner server with no clue about the reason, I think I'm going to start replicating my backups across multiple countries even though I'm sure I don't have anything seize-worthy in them. That's not for continent-level disasters but just so cross-jurisdictional bureaucracy will make it harder to get everything at once.

3. Offline backup is perfectly good. Just keep a copy away from home, like with a family member or at your office or in a safe deposit box. See this strategy: https://www.jwz.org/doc/backups.html

Thanked by 2szarka ofit
  • WSSWSS Member

It looks like you should have had a better Crashplan plan.

I used CrashPlan, but couldn't stand just how difficult their client was to live with, and decided that rsync.net was much much better designed for the standard nerdhole, and haven't looked back (since this time I actually moved to a cheap Dacentec plan since I really don't use that much).

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2017

Here's the simple solution I've ended up switching to: Synology Hyper Backup to multiple rsync servers and cloud storage (Amazon Drive and Google Drive)

It does versioned backups, single file restores from the web GUI, and encrypts the data on the source before transferring to the target. I use a few different servers in addition to Amazon and Google bit Synology should be releasing their own cloud storage solution soon (in beta) also.

• iwaswrongonceiwaswrongonce Member
    edited October 2017

@willie said:
    1. For online bulk storage/backup I've been happy with various storage VPS including Time4VPS and ZXHost, Hetzner auction dedi, Hetzner Storagebox, and Online.net C14, generally in the $3-5/TB range. I don't see reason to mess with Backblaze.

Aside from C14 which may or may not be cheaper (we would probably use them if they had a US location), the others are not at all comparable. There was a time when Backblaze was the cheapest option on the market. They legitimately boosted competition in the space. Amazon has even cut prices as a response. Are they the cheapest anymore? Depends I suppose, since most of the cheaper competition is from cold storage whereas they are really near line. B2 certainly has its problems, and it definitely feels amateurish at times, but that's not to say it isn't a solid offering.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited October 2017

Hezner has 4x4 TB drives for 67 Eur which is about 5 USD per TB. If you make a raid, though, it is only 12 left which is about 7 USD per TB. But you can make it iSCSI and mount remotely, for instance and it comes with 30 TB traffic a month.
    SB67 (30 TB)

I am sure you can find better pricing if you wait and check long enough, although, for raid 5 $ per TB is a bit on the low side for full options dedi.

• szarkaszarka Member
    edited October 2017

OMG. Yes, someone please figure out the solution and let us all know, would you? I have about 4 TB on CP, and the pain of re-uploading everything is why I've continued to put up with their pig of a client, but it's time for a radical re-think. About 2 TB is audio files, and another 1 TB comprises ancient stuff that's not continually changing; I could handle all of that pretty well with periodic off-site backups on USB drives.

But that other 1 TB? What I like about CP is that I can use the same solution across Linux and Windows. (I don't use it for production server backups, mind you. Just personal Linux machines.) My entire backup set is also sent to a USB drive, and that saved my bacon last summer when my main desktop machine went casters up. (Even restoring locally took forever. Can't imagine how bad it would have been over the network!) If there were a solution that could handle this 1 TB subset of my data in a similar way with good performance at a good price, I'd be all over it...

TBH, my approach may ultimately be to just accelerate my migration to Linux on the desktop. If I'm going to roll my own solution, then it is just so much easier with Linux that it's worth killing off Windows for everything except those few programs that I just have to have to work with legacy data, support customers, etc.

I guess that $25/month Dacentec box is going to come in handy. ;)

• snickerpopsnickerpop Member
    edited October 2017

Someone else mentioned it here.
    But I've been using GSuites for holding data.

5TB is a very reasonable amount to have on this service.
    Rclone doesn't take that much memory. Works fine with my server with 2GB

• Maounique said: Hezner has 4x4 TB drives for 67 Eur which is about 5 USD per TB

They have 10TB storagebox for 40EUR and it's already raid. If you're not running a seedbox that seems like a good option to me. If you want a dedi, they have 4x6tb for 69 euro with 69 euro setup fee, not too bad if it's a long term rental. The setup fee is 3 euro/month spread over 2 years, say.

• WSSWSS Member

@szarka said:

Doesn't it only come with 10TB/mo? I've considered paying the $5/mo to go 100/unmetered, as I could technically push about 30TB through it/mo that way, whereas an upgrade to 20TB/mo for $5/mo on Gig-E would be useful, but still lose me the 10TB, at the expense of speed. Since most of my backups are incremental.. I've just sat on the fence about what to do, since I haven't run out of bandwidth yet.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    edited October 2017

@snickerpop said:

But that’s with a min of 5 users right?

edited October 2017

@raindog308 said:

@snickerpop said:

It 10 dollars per user I believe
    I only have my account on there. So you can get away with that.

edited October 2017

@snickerpop said:

@raindog308 said:

@snickerpop said:

It 10 dollars per user I believe
    I only have my account on there. So you can get away with that.

It says something about a number needed for unlimited, but once you get past that limit. You won't see any limits being put on more data

• Plus you can use drive stream which is business only. Which lets you stream files instead of holding them permanently on your drive
    • Or stick with backup and sync

• Also, some else about google drive is that you can share a folder with someone as long as the owner has space it won't affect the person who has the shared drive added to their account. They can then add the folder to their drive. So instead of in the shared items folder, it will be in the regular drive. It can then be used like any other folder for that person. (Syncing??)

snickerpop said: It 10 dollars per user I believe I only have my account on there. So you can get away with that.

Hmmm...you sure you're not a student or something? Pricing sheet says 1TB max if you have less than 5 users.

https://gsuite.google.com/pricing.html?tab_activeEl=tabset-companies

• @raindog308 said:

@snickerpop said:

Same here. I'm the only user and currently pushing $10 for 4.8 TB.

edited October 2017

willie said: If you're not running a seedbox that seems like a good option to me.

Seedbox, virtualization, etc. For non-full options dedi, that is also very good.
    To each his own, I would rather pay a bit extra to have a capable server too on top of the storage, but you are right, the man asked for storage, period, even some "cloud" option would have been good, so Hezner storage boxes are way more than that and satisfy the pricing of under 5 $ per tb.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@raindog308 said:

Hmmm...you sure you're not a student or something? Pricing sheet says 1TB max if you have less than 5 users.

They say it, but they don't have any accounting system built in to limit it. On the business plan with a single user it still says " has unlimited storage!"

I've got just over 4TB of encrypted data up there for almost 6 months without issues.

edited October 2017

@raindog308 said:

snickerpop said: It 10 dollars per user I believe I only have my account on there. So you can get away with that.

>

Nope you can register as a "business" as long as your have own domain. You can upload like 750GB a day. I actually ate up like all my bandwidth 1TB within a few days (Comcast).

Usually I switch to hotspot but I forgot to this month. The point is that if your connection is fast enough. You could fill things up pretty quick,and downloading is quick as well.

• Personally I'm using Backblaze's B2 for a lot of mysql backups and such, it is honestly fine with rclone. Really cheap too assuming you never need your backups, though with their reduced download costs as of some time ago, it actually isn't too horrible if you do need your backups.

Thanked by 1vpsguy

Googled and read and it appears the GSuite situation is that they presently don't enforce the 1TB quota...but they could...

• Try to lurking at /datahoarding they share cloud service review sometimes

• @raindog308 said:
    Googled and read and it appears the GSuite situation is that they presently don't enforce the 1TB quota...but they could...

They already introduced a daily data cap after unlimited Amazon fell apart and everyone jumped ship to Google.

• lukehebblukehebb Member
    edited October 2017

BackBlaze have an app for downloading large archives. Generate the archive on the website (it can take a while to build if there's a lot of files / data) and you have 7 days before it gets removed

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/restore-downloader-apps-available/

Saved my backside on a few occasions!

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • @Tion said:

@raindog308 said:

They already introduced a daily data cap after unlimited Amazon fell apart and everyone jumped ship to Google.

Doesn’t mean they won’t do something in the future.

• I've been using Hubic for a few years now. Hubicfuse on a HP microserver and the hubic client/swift explorer on desktops/laptops.

The speed doesn't bother me. If the server dies, and my local backup explodes, I can rebuild from hubic over several days/weeks. If I need any particular file/folder in a hurry - I can grab that too.

• @WSS said:

@szarka said:

Doesn't it only come with 10TB/mo? I've considered paying the $5/mo to go 100/unmetered, as I could technically push about 30TB through it/mo that way, whereas an upgrade to 20TB/mo for $5/mo on Gig-E would be useful, but still lose me the 10TB, at the expense of speed. Since most of my backups are incremental.. I've just sat on the fence about what to do, since I haven't run out of bandwidth yet.

I was thinking about it more for a spare copy of my media files (music, PDF scans of books, etc.), which don't change much. Restoration of that stuff wouldn't be an emergency anyway, and it accounts for a massive chunk of my personal backup needs, so I could trickle it back down if I had to. But, yeah, the 100 Mbps option looks nice, too. It's not as if my crappy cable connections can max that out.

Do we know whether inbound counts toward the 10 TB? I'm not seeing that anywhere.

• WSSWSS Member

@Dacentec questions...

Thanked by 1szarka
  • @raindog308 said:
    I'm back to wishing BackBlaze would go bankrupt. OMG.

Amazon AWS S3 bucket naming has the same policy.

This is because you can enable your bucket to be exposed publicly and you get your own subdomain.

Thanked by 1Zerpy
  • @squibs said:
    I've been using Hubic for a few years now. Hubicfuse on a HP microserver and the hubic client/swift explorer on desktops/laptops.

The speed doesn't bother me. If the server dies, and my local backup explodes, I can rebuild from hubic over several days/weeks. If I need any particular file/folder in a hurry - I can grab that too.

HubiC? They're beyond bad -- the cap is like 10 mbit/s.

Thanked by 1chrisp

doghouch said: HubiC? They're beyond bad -- the cap is like 10 mbit/s.

For me CrashPlan was going at about 1 mbit IN AVERAGE! If 10 mbit is beyond bad, how about 1 :P

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2017

doghouch said: HubiC? They're beyond bad -- the cap is like 10 mbit/s.

The cap is not "like", it is 10 Mbit/sec, as plainly specified in their ToS. And I really don't see what is there to whine and complain about -- that's nowhere near "beyond bad", it is a perfectly valid product at a price that can't be beaten -- if the speed limit is not an issue for you (and it's not, for me and many others). Heck even the OP only has a 10 Mbit upload on his Internet connection.