Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH Anti-Hack... You are drunk, go home - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH Anti-Hack... You are drunk, go home

Comments

• @Cameron consider yourself lucky you didn't spend last evening/this morning the way I did.

When you find good providers you have some thing more valuable than gold. Just sick of hosts that don't care. That shit doesn't cut it in the business world And it is not worth any more time than it takes you to get back online. Your post just struck a chord with me.

Kick some verbal ass if you have to But get yourself away from that kind of crap.

The few hosts I really trust any more can shag my woman.

• @natestamm said: The few hosts I really trust any more can shag my woman.

@jarland :3

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
  • Just spoke to them again via phone asking for an update. The guy said that he did not have an update and that my server was also being used for "other hacks". I asked what these hacks were and he didn't know... I stated that if I was actually informed about the abuse I would be able to solve it, but he says otherwise. It seems that providing me the IP address of the abusing customer is too hard...

After the unhelpful encounter with the rude Frenchman I asked to speak to Octave, how very strange that he is "out of the office currently". This company is just a joke..

Anyone know of any good alternatives and a good place to host a SolusVM master?

Thanks!

• @Cameron said: After the unhelpful encounter with the rude Frenchman I asked to speak to Octave, how very strange that he is "out of the office currently". This company is just a joke..

You think the owner of OVH's 15+ datacenter wants to deal with an angry customer? Don't fool yourself, that's what any large scale dedicated server company would do

• @BronzeByte said: You think the owner of OVH's 15+ datacenter wants to deal with an angry customer? Don't fool yourself, that's what any large scale dedicated server company would do

I may be an angry customer but I'm also worried for them. Treating long term customers like this is going to get them no where, the guy at the top needs to be informed and given an opinion from customers

• @Cameron said: I may be an angry customer but I'm also worried for them. Treating long term customers like this is going to get them no where, the guy at the top needs to be informed and given an opinion from customers

Throw me an email sam [at] rethinkvps.com and I might be able to give you a discount on a dedicated server.

• @pechspilz said: If CCcam/Mgcam/Oscam is running on a server, you can be 100% certain it's not for legal purposes whether you received a complaint or not

NO, this is NOT how law in Europe works - If you shut it down for simply being CCcam can get YOU sued.

• I've done a while on here with out seeing that word. @William Thank You. Some times that's the only thing people understand.

• @William: Both parties can terminate the contract for whatever reason they want. The reason doesn't matter at all.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@pechspilz said: The reason doesn't matter at all.

From the legal point of view, yes, IF the unused money are returned.
    From the commercial point of view this will not help.
    They maybe have hundreds of thousands of customers and couldnt care less for any one of them, no matter how long the relationship, but this means savvy ones will get informed first and avoid them, perhaps this is what they want ?
    At the end of the day I would rather have my service down by accident than because the automated "anti-hack" was programmed to do so whenever something remotely problematic is detected.
    Not having any recourse other than barking at the tree and be ignored will not make things better.

• goexodusgoexodus Member
    edited April 2013

so on a positive not who are the good providers.

• pcanpcan Member

@pubcrawler said: Horrid provider message there.

I am not a OVH customer anymore, but the message could have been even worse. The one I received when they nullrouted one of the IP on my dedicated server (a good server, yearly prepaid with the extra "professional use" fee) was: "attaque. game over." I tried contacting them via phone and email, but I received no further explanations until the following day.

After some head scratching I figured out that a VPS on the server could have been compromised and used for an attack. On the following days the OVH support agreed to remove the nullroute, but my server was online again only after several further tickets and many days.

At the time, I had the impression that OVH technical support is competent but severely understaffed and had no time to care for the customers. Little has changed, it seems.

• classic message there @pcan.

I won't prepay a garbage pickup company let alone a data company. Things change from week to week with some companies, shamefully.

@pubcrawler said: Things change from week to week with some companies, shamefully.

I am not sure things changed much with OVH, if anything, this came about in years.

• Personally, I'd never use OVH for anything critical. I just use the Kimsufi Atom for minor personal uses.

• OVH is great as long as you aren't doing anything shady. Been hosting there for 5 years without issues so far, great folks.

-3-

• So, here is an update for anyone who does actually find this interesting

I have finally received an email back regarding the issue, the guy has now explained what CCCAM is and has actually provided me with the IP address where the CCCAM was running from! So that customer is now finally suspended.

They have also listed three other "attacks" which they state I never replied to, yet looking at my inbox and my OVH emails from their manager I see no sign of any of them. Just to add, the logs of the attacks he sent me in the email just look like walls of spaghetti text, very useful I must add! (Not)

He also states that the server has had several incoming attacks which caused "disruptions on our network", however personally I've not noticed any attacks over the last few months.

Just to add to the mess, he then states that I can not rely on OVH informing me of any abuse that may be going on. I don't understand how that works as if you lookup the IP addresses their abuse email is the one listed, so how on earth am I meant to know of any reports? Seems like a lazy provider to me.

Finally it ended on a slightly better note, he said that I'm welcome to investigate and explain "what happened" (I don't see much that happened, just one customer host CCCAM that I've now suspended?) and the measures I've taken to fix it. He shall pass it on to the "engineers" (potato heads) to see if they could consider changing their minds (lets hope they do)

Even if they do renew the contract, still moving everything away from them. I'm not putting customers services in the hands of some provider that doesn't know how to do their job correctly.

I hope you enjoy the read. Moral of the story? Stay away from OVH

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Don't trust to their report, as occasionally it's not true. The OVH never bothered to investigate the claims or OVH Anti-Hack report properly, if you want server quick do it your self.

• DeanDean Member

@Jack Hahahaha
    Cats will rule the world one day, I am telling you that now!

• There are so many negative things about OVH, is the condition same with hetzner (Just to know) like no tolerance policy or so.

• @Liam said: I always wondered how they offered 10 euro servers.

As people says, ROI utilized equipments, no server container/boxes, and some other.
    I know you know lot more than me :) ..

Actually I think the same.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

@Cameron ... I even received that warning and we were told to relocate by the 17th ... I think they just want to get rid of people with the old contracts.

I surely will be moving away, and will offer clients better deals for the hassle of moving. I am in no need of OVH anymore. The way they treat a client who was been with them for a long time is just pathetic.

• drsproutdrsprout Member
    edited April 2013

@pechspilz > "Newer CCcam versions even have a trojan horse built in"

Trojan Horse my arse!! If there's anything at all in later versions, it's a back door distributed by a certain encryption company enabling them to read card serial numbers but there's no conclusive evidence to back this up as CCcam is closed source. Also Mgcamd is not a server, it's a multi-protocol client only and would be useless on a VPS. OSCam is a newer multi-protocol server that can use the CCCam protocol; this is open source and there's a growing uptake from older software.

As for it being 100% illegal, there has been no test case for non profit sharing, so no legal precedents have been set. Who would prosecute if you where sharing a subscription from Poland to someone in Italy? If the Polish supplier did not have an active market in Italy how could you prove a financial loss?

There are instances of people receiving custodial sentences for sharing but these have been on the basis of people illegally selling their subscription and providing a service. Cardsharing started purely as a hobby between satellite enthusiasts until some bright sparks thought 'Hang on, I can make money from this' and in this case I say good luck to the prosecutors.

edited April 2013

They are pretty easy to spot, they use lots of pps.
    I have no reason to stop them so far, and no intention too. Other hosts might use this gray area because if we reach 200 k pps on a node only from them, probably OVH reaches even more.
    It is the same issue as with buyvm/Tor, they block some software because it stresses their network/infrastructure.
    Honest would be to say we do not allow more than x pps and that is it. Nobody will be able to say anything, due to the low prices. But OVH is not honest here.

• @Maounique i don't think OVH should care about the pps, as long as the total traffic sent towards the server does not exceed the port speed.
    For a VPS node very high pps might be a problem - because it is processing all the packets in software, needs interrupts, etc... and can only process so much before hurting the CPU.
    For a hardware ASIC based switch/router that just routes/switches the packets - the pps shouldn't matter at all, they should be able to handle maximum pps on all ports without problems. And i am sure OVH isn't using any software routers :)

edited April 2013

@rds100 said: the pps shouldn't matter at all, they should be able to handle maximum pps on all ports without problems

Not really. they add up on switches/routers. Perhaps are not top of the range/new ones.
    They could also trigger some DDoS alarm, probably this happened, they thought was a DoS, then looked it up and saw what what the problem.

• My own opinion, dealing with ovh.es is much much pleasent than ovh.com.

They are very responsive and nice people.

Ovh france is too big and understaff, thats why support sucks.

Maybe in Spain is also harder to get a job and ppl are working harder.

• @Maounique said: Maybe in Spain is also harder to get a job and ppl are working harder.

Greece too?

Anyway, France is losing its "economy foundation". They're fk'd sooner or later.