Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS with Hong Kong/China IP - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS with Hong Kong/China IP

Comments

• lbftlbft Member
    edited April 2013

@rm_ said: They are funny, they casually use "$" when they mean HKD, which is like eight to one USD.

Well, they're presumably a Hong Kong company - $ is their local currency symbol. The dollar/peso sign is used for a bunch of currencies.

• @rm_ said: They are funny, they casually use "$" when they mean HKD

Eh? That's pretty normal on HK sites, nobody in HK cares about USD.

• Another vote for vr.org, we use them for the HK location in our anycast setup, they've been great.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@William said: Eh? That's pretty normal on HK sites, nobody in HK cares about USD.

This is a .com site written in English, nothing gives out that this is a local HK site.
    And on global websites at least specifying "HK$" (if not HKD) is more common.

• HK was British colony several years ago, i believe more people speak English there than any Chinese language (since there is not only one single Chinese language).

• @johnlth93 said: wait o.O

you're @Jylee ??

No? I just like vr.org's services?

@rds100 said: i believe more people speak English there than any Chinese language

That's not correct.

Hong Kong's de facto official language is Cantonese, a Chinese language originating from Guangdong province to the north of Hong Kong. English is also an official language, and according to a 1996 by-census is spoken by 3.1 percent of the population as an everyday language and by 34.9 percent of the population as a second language.

• @rm_ said: @rds100 said: i believe more people speak English there than any Chinese language

That's not correct.

Most of people CAN speak English in HK since they have to undergo the British education system, but most of them don't use it as their first language at home or at work.

• FluXFluX Member

@rds100 said: HK was British colony several years ago, i believe more people speak English there than any Chinese language (since there is not only one single Chinese language).

I think you mean dialect. Chinese is the language, mandarin, cantonese are dialects of the chinese language. Difference is dialects all use same written characters, so if people can't speak to each other they can at least communicate via written form.

• @William said: We moved to VR a few months ago (very early 2013).

I'm that dude asked on edis fb page, waiting for your HK server =P

@HalfEatenPie said: No? I just like vr.org's services?

I see

• wickawicka Member

I use vr.org as well. Performance not perfect but support is good and stable.

• @wicka said: I use vr.org as well

Seem quite lot of ppl suggested vr.org
    If their HK server come to available again, i would really go for it

vr.org lowest plan is $10, and network speed is limited to 1 Mbps.
    Seems like a total waste of money.

• @rm_ said: network speed is limited to 1 Mbps.

Um... my container is definitely not limited to 1 Mbps.

edited April 2013

http://www.vr.org/buy-vps/#asiahk

Name Ram HD Xfer Speed Cost
    VR256 256MB 10GB 100GB 1Mbps $10

@HalfEatenPie if not now, then they can limit it at any time, and this will be completely according to the published plan specs. Or maybe you bought it before these terms, and this doesn't apply to you.

• The fact that it's advertised as 1Mbps doesn't mean it's really limited.
    For instance we also advertise 10Mbps on some plans, but don't enforce it unless the customer starts doing stupid things. So far we've had to enforce it on one customer only, ever.

• @rm_ said: Name Ram HD Xfer Speed Cost

VR256 256MB 10GB 100GB 1Mbps $10

dam i din't even notice that, 1mbps

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited April 2013

@rm_: Huh, well I do see that now.

You see, I ran this: http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2013/03/22/IBNoiIMvcbCRIfRP

Edit: I'm sure that's guaranteed 1Mbps but burst up to 100Mbps.

• @rm_ that's actually great pricing for dedicated mainland china bandwidth.

@HalfEatenPie - it's different based on region (selector in the top right of the plans page) - looks like the link given goes directly to asia/hong kong

edited April 2013

@rds100 Well if a grocery store would advertise their bread as having sawdust in it, this doesn't make me want to buy, even if they don't actually put sawdust in there right now, or did it just once some time ago. (And they are free to do it again since it's "as advertised").

@rds100 said: For instance we also advertise 10Mbps on some plans

This would just make me close the browser tab INSTANTLY.

but don't enforce it

...this would be completely irrelevant to me as the browser tab is already closed and your brandname/offer is already forgotten.

• @rm_ ok you have a point there, might reconsider the advertising strategy ;-)

• @unused said: it's different based on region (selector in the top right of the plans page) - looks like the link given goes directly to asia/hong kong

Hm touche. You did get me there. I again didn't see that. I guess its time for me to finally get to bed.

edited April 2013

@unused said: that's actually great pricing for dedicated mainland china bandwidth.

That's pretty lousy pricing-to-specs, compared to offers from EDIS or OneAsiaHost or even OVH.

edited April 2013

...Speaking of which, did we not forget about OVH?
    http://www.ovh.com/fr/vps/vps-low-latency.xml
    2TB of b/w @ 100 Mbps in Hong Kong for 10 EUR/month.

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/7770/512mb-25gb-2tb-bandwidth-vps-in-hong-kong-from-ovh-9.99-eur#Item_62

Test IP is 103.5.12.4

$ geoiplookup 103.5.12.4

GeoIP Country Edition: HK, Hong Kong

• @rm_ said: ...Speaking of which, did we not forget about OVH?

OVH doesn't provide any type of mainland connectivity so it's useless if that's what you need. (I get 30kbps from Shanghai to my HK OVH kimsufi )

• 2TB of b/w @ 100 Mbps in Hong Kong for 10 EUR/month.

I've asked them but they doesn't seem to allow tun/tap module

• @johnlth93 You can get a kimsufi box for $20/mo and run whatever you want. As long as you aren't in mainland china it should be fine

• @unused said: As long as you aren't in mainland china it should be fine

does kimsufi available in HK too? saw the cheapest kimsufi cost only 8.99 pounds
    fine of what?

• Well i am planing to tunnel my network through a HK server to access China
    If as you said (30kb/s) then it would be real bad isn't it?

• Yes, I have a kimsufi in HK, I'm not sure about the conversion to pounds.