Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH Anti-Hack... You are drunk, go home
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH Anti-Hack... You are drunk, go home

CameronCameron Member
edited April 2013 in General

Well, to my surprise I've got a very nice email from the good guys at OVH, eating their baguettes and drinking their wine.

Bear in mind, we have had NO reports from OVH of any CCAM being hosted, this is now the second issue from OVH over our 4-5 year experience with them, nice to see how they treat long-term customers!

Dear Customer,

One or more of your IP addresses had to be blocked by our services due
to a number of alerts being received.

This constitutes a breach of your contract, your server was blocked.

You have two weeks to recover your data. Also, access your server will be permanently suspended on the 2013-04-17 >19:06:36.

You can find the log returns from our system below that led to this alert.

START OF INFORMATION

Serveur utilise pour de la diffusion de contenus soumis au droit d'auteur via le protocole CCAM

END OF INFORMATION

Kind regards,

OVH customer support.

How very kind! We have not had a single report regarding any CCAM being hosted, this is the first communication we have had from OVH regarding this.

This server is used to host virtual machines, we always take action to any abuse reports we receive however in this case they decide not to warn us!

It's also very professional to see they provide the reason in French, here is the English translation. "Server used for content distribution subject to copyright through the CCAM protocol"

I just don't understand why a company would do this to customers, this isn't the first time I've had issues with them personally. I have heard of many others having similar issues with them.

So far I'm just waiting for a reply from their support department, cant wait to see how far I get with this.

Have you been with OVH and had an awful time, if so feel free to share your experience!

TO ANYONE WHO HASN'T USED OVH YET, STAY FAR AWAY!

P.S. Let's hope this post didn't upset ovh :'(

Comments

• LukeTLukeT Member

OVH seems to be getting worse.

• wth is CCAM

• @texteditor said: wth is CCAM

Still trying to work that out...

• @Cameron CCAM according to wikipedia is:
    Congenital cystic adenomatoid malformation (CCAM) is a congenital disorder of the lung similar to bronchopulmonary sequestration. The disorder is often referred to by another name, congenital pulmonary airway malformation (CPAM

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

CCcam is a protocol to share coded access cards for programs on tv satellite.
    It uses a lot of pps.

• JacobJacob Member

Mm, I swear I've seen CCcam in the process logs of one of our nodes before.

• @Maounique said: CCcam is a protocol to share coded access cards for programs on tv satellite.

It uses a lot of pps.

Thanks for the explanation! I still do not understand why OVH haven't reported this to me instead of suspending me... A late april fools gone wrong maybe? We will never know!

edited April 2013

I warned a while back that OVH is now following a one strike you are out policy. Ppl didnt believe me then, said I have something against them or maybe they started to eliminate romanians first, dunno.
    It also detects wrongly DDoSes that are not there and puts you in rescue mode.
    They do not need customers, have hundreds of thousands and the more cancellations, the more yearly plans can sell.
    I never had a server there, was denied a few years back and didnt try again, but have friends that had various problems and asked me to help since I know french and something about computers.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • ATHKATHK Member
    edited April 2013

Is it CCcam? - http://www.cam-sats.com/cccam/2409.htm - something about faking cards.
    http://www.kingcccam.com/page/installing-cccam-protocol

Don't mind me.

• Problem with OVH message is it doesn't say sh!t. WHo can work through being labeled for violating or doing nothing?

" due to a number of alerts being received."

Alerts? From whom? What nature?

Horrid provider message there. Did OP try contacting them to get clarification on the matter from a human? Seems like an autogen message.

• @pubcrawler said: " due to a number of alerts being received."

Alerts? From whom? What nature?

I've not received one alert from either OVH or a 3rd party regarding it.

@pubcrawler said: Did OP try contacting them to get clarification on the matter from a human? Seems like an autogen message.

I did reply to the ticket stating what the servers are used for (I thought they would note the use by the hostnames, however it seems to hard for them) and explaining that we always take action upon receiving a report, however I yet to have any reply regarding this. I do understand, it's 2AM UK time, 3AM France time, I'll let you know when I get a reply and what interesting garbage they have to say!

• natestammnatestamm Member
    edited April 2013

@Cameron Good luck!

..Run from this thread too. I did. /Smile

• OVH sucks!

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited April 2013

@Simple3x said: OVH sucks!

Thanks for adding content to this discussion.

Honestly I'd be interested in hearing OVH's reply to the claims that it's been reported multiple times.

• Heh OVH sucks!

• SPSP Member

@HalfEatenPie said: Honestly I'd be interested in hearing OVH's reply to the claims

+1 on this. Contemplating a dedi from them to dip my toes in the public hosting waters, would really hate to get shat on from the jump.

• @Sperryman said: Contemplating a dedi from them

I was looking into it too XD
    I guess we will see how they reply.

• @Simple3x said: Heh OVH sucks!

@Jacob said: Mm, I swear I've seen CCcam in the process logs of one of our nodes before.

I see it too and I know the people doing this.
    So far had no complaints, even tho the pps is sometimes 50 k for one vps.

• @Sperryman said: +1 on this. Contemplating a dedi from them to dip my toes in the public hosting waters, would really hate to get shat on from the jump.

Piece of advice, take it with a grain if salt if you like, if you are going to do any hosting do not get an OVH server. I know the price is attractive but you will be sorry for the same reason the OP is right now.

• goexodusgoexodus Member
    edited April 2013

Wish you good luck

• That's strange. I know we have customers running CCAM, never received a single complaint about it. And it doesn't seem to cause any big loads either.

• If CCcam/Mgcam/Oscam is running on a server, you can be 100% certain it's not for legal purposes whether you received a complaint or not. Newer CCcam versions even have a trojan horse built in. Being an Europe based provider, I understand why OVH has to act in such cases because it's asking for a lot of trouble if they don't.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited April 2013

Considering the amount of shit that OVH let through their network that they ignore, this is pretty darn stupid.

I've never heard of a company terminating a dedicated server for one violation, until now.

• @pechspilz said: I understand why OVH has to act in such cases because it's asking for a lot of trouble if they don't.

Well, I think that's wrong. I would say this is over reacting. We have not had a single report from OVH regarding this. You can't just terminate a customer without warning them before hand (well, I thought that's what any decent provider would do...)

To update on the situation, OVH still haven't replied to my ticket reply, I've bumped my ticket there however if I fail to receive a reply I'll ring them up. How fun! I get to speak to some arrogant OVH employee, not...

• @Cameron
    It ain't going to work, they will just tell you to either sign a support-contract or contact support via tickets ;)

• natestammnatestamm Member
    edited April 2013

@Cameron said: We have not had a single report from OVH regarding this

This.

• @pechspilz said: it's asking for a lot of trouble if they don't

PS asking isn't telling.

• I personally agree it's not a good business practice but then it's OVH and they give a rat's ass about it. It's been known for a while now that one shoulnd't choose them for any sort of business if you're not in total control over the contents on a server. They started killing LEBs last year with the introduction of a per-IPv4 fee.

Interestingly, they don't give a rat's ass about hosting thousands of Kimsufis for the sole purpose of torrenting non-legal stuff.

• Right, just phoned OVH and spoke to some very arrogant Frenchman. He says that this issue is "very serious" and that the technicians had to take action, I tried to explain what the servers were used for yet he still didn't take that for an answer.

I just do not understand how they can treat a long term, paying customer like this.. I even explained to him that the phone I was calling him off was an OVH business SIP line!

Hey ho, he said that I will receive a reply via email soon, lets see how far that gets me