Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you have a Paypal subscription? YOU maintain it!!!! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do you have a Paypal subscription? YOU maintain it!!!!

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2013

@serverian said: Anyone interested in some WHMCS module that'll cancel the paypal subscriptions when the product is terminated for $5 one time fee?

This is available for free, I don't think it's been updated in the recent updates but look for "PayPal Subscription Canceller".

• @KuJoe said: This is available for free, I don't think it's been updated in the recent updates but look for "PayPal Subscription Canceller".

I couldn't find a module for WHMCS

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@Damian said: We have this too, but it's difficult to find subscriptions. We have several hundred on there, and I'm sure you have way more than we do. Another thought is: we didn't create the subscription in the first place; it shouldn't be our ward to cancel them.

we have not so many, 3-400 active I think. Forgotten payments cases aren't frequent BTW.

@serverian said: I couldn't find a module for WHMCS

I'll upload my hacked up one shortly. It fixes some bugs in the original but doesn't have the same functionality.

• EpidriveEpidrive Member
    edited April 2013

You can be an honest guy, refund him his money back, and contact him through email and tell him that he should cancel his paypal subscription, explain him . THAT'S IF YOUR HONEST ENOUGH TO DO IT :-)

Think on his side too, it would be much easier to open a dispute than to contact the host, normally the host (more of the 'greedy' ones) will reason out that they only offer 15-30 money back guarantee, and that the transaction isn't covered anymore.

Happened to me before as a client, just explaining :-)

edited April 2013

This is fork of this. The only difference is that the checkboxes do not work since the bug in the original would randomly uncheck the boxes and turn the options off under certain conditions. I didn't go through all of the code, I just remove the if/else statements for the checkboxes and made them readonly.

http://my.securedragon.net/paypalsubscriptioncanceller.zip

EDIT: Fixed 2 more bugs and added MIT licensing to the file. Make sure your version is 1.1 or it will not work.

• Looks like it'd work @KuJoe. Well, no need for a new one :)

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

Happened to me this morning :(

• Recently I have noticed that some paypal transactions under a certain amount default to the subscription module on the client side. It has happened to me once and I immediately opened a ticket with the provider and had him cancel it. I do not know if this happened as part of the whole fiasco they recently had or not but I thought you all might like to know about it. If the provider sees this he can post more on this if he would like.

I do not ever use subscriptions because my household budget is so low I may have to cancel before the next month comes along. Heck I can not even afford a yearly deal from most providers lol. It is just not feasible for me to use the subscription module.

• @AuroraZ said: Recently I have noticed that some paypal transactions under a certain amount default to the subscription module on the client side. It has happened to me once and I immediately opened a ticket with the provider and had him cancel it.

This might not actually be a default to certain amount. Providers can specify if the subscription service is available, and providers can specify that all new sign-ups are subscription only.

• @AuroraZ said: default to the subscription module on the client side. It has happened to me once and I immediately opened a ticket with the provider and had him cancel it.

This is that drinking water moment, it's your paypal account, your subscription, why do you think the provider can help you on this?

There is a little misunderstanding I see, I do have the ability to cancel subscriptions, and with thousands of them, and PayPal site moving at glacial speed, I really want to do this, NOT! You as a customer have far fewer, so most likely won't even need to scroll a page at PayPal, while I might scroll 5 pages just for Feb, and wait 1-3 minutes per page for PayPal to think about it.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

I see alot of anger from more then one provider in here, may I ask why you offer subcriptions at all?

Some will probably reply that most customers can handle it and thats the reason to keep it.

We should remind ourself that most people on the internet fon't know what to do with it.

• @MikHo said: may I ask why you offer subcriptions at all?

Customer demand for it is my biggest reason. A small percentage of clients are forgetful and would rather have some form of automatic payment to insure their service is not suspended.

• Can't paypal just get smart and make this available via the api?

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@mitgib

Thats what i thought aswell, so basicly it ends up to the customers cant remember to pay their bills and they cant remember to end paying them.

Either way te provider looses.

• @MikHo said: I see alot of anger from more then one provider in here, may I ask why you offer subcriptions at all?

This:

@miTgiB said: Customer demand for it is my biggest reason. A small percentage of clients are forgetful and would rather have some form of automatic payment to insure their service is not suspended.

99% of subscriptions are created, get paid, and get cancelled without issue. It's just that 1% handled incorrectly....

• @24khost said: Can't paypal just get smart and make this available via the api?

I'm thinking it's WHMCS that needs the intelligence boost here

• @Damian said: This might not actually be a default to certain amount. Providers can specify if the subscription service is available, and providers can specify that all new sign-ups are subscription only.

See I had no idea since I have never even looked into that kind of thing.

@miTgiB said: This is that drinking water moment, it's your paypal account, your subscription, why do you think the provider can help you on this?

I understand this now at that time I did not. I knew absolutely nothing about the system. The provider was nice enough to help me out this one time and that was end of it. There has been no further incident.

I did not mean to say I side with anyone here because I do not. I just pointed out something that had happened to me. I am sorry I upset someone it was not my intention. I apologize to @miTgiB and I shall use this experience to remember to keep my mouth shut period and give my pension to anyone who asks.

• @AuroraZ said: I apologize to @miTgiB and I shall use this experience to remember to keep my mouth shut period

No need to be sorry, I only asked a question of you to help you learn for yourself as the only dumb question is one never asked.

• CoreyCorey Member

I'm with the providers on this. I get so mad when people call us thieves or something because the client forgot to cancel their own subscription which even if we could cancel it for them is such a pain in the ass time consuming endevour

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

"Why did you charge me after I cancelled?!"

etc

• (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

• @Damian said: Nothing ruins your day like a former client not cancelling their Paypal subscription, then OPENING A DISPUTE about it instead of just contacting us. What the fuck. We're not the ones maintaining YOUR subscription. What the hell is wrong with people!?

Easiest thing to do, just don't allow subscription, people have to pay their bills once a month.

• I've been guilty of forgetting to cancel PayPal subscriptions (just ask @George_Fusioned). I felt a schmuck but he was gracious enough to help me without feeling the need to rub my nose in it. This is one of the reasons why I continue to promote his services on my website. Good karma....

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@zhuanyi said: Easiest thing to do, just don't allow subscription, people have to pay their bills once a month.

Sadly not the case at all, because then you get 50 tickets a month saying "Why is my server suspended" or... "I forgot to pay is my data still ok" or... "I have paid please unsuspend"

Hosts just cant win, if you dont take subscriptions people forget to pay then make it your problem, if you do take subscription people forget to look after their own paypal account and make it your problem.

WHMCS just needs to integrate paypal subscription cancellations.

• @AnthonySmith said: WHMCS just needs to integrate paypal subscription cancellations.

+1

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

@Roph said: Perhaps a big red warning in account / service termination emails about cancelling paypal subscriptions?

I wish this worked. They still ignore the warnings.

• We had to remove credit card captures from our cron because of a very similar issue. People would not actually cancel services then chargeback on CC fees rather than reach out to us because we 'stole' their money.

• I don't see an issue. We don't allow subscriptions, but when I previously had to deal with them and a client forgot to cancel, I'd just refund the money. It happens.

When users file a PayPal dispute, I work it out with them. It's part of the system. I don't know why so many people take offense to when one is filed, regardless if you're the seller or buyer. Each case is treated independently as it should. If there's obvious signs of fraudulent behaviour due to a bazillion filed disputes, then PayPal step in to take further action.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

A related question for the providers here - when you grant a PayPal refund, does PayPal charge you a $0.30 fee?