Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NOCIX Just Shit the Bed Again - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

NOCIX Just Shit the Bed Again

Comments

• already loss 50$ in last 8 hour .

• Now working good

• @munni69 said:
    Now working good

Great. Mine is still down.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

munni69 said: already loss 50$ in last 8 hour .

Well if you are using them for commercial gain put some redundancy in place and stop putting the foundation of your business on the cheapest possible framework.

Simple common sense.

• @AnthonySmith said:

munni69 said: already loss 50$ in last 8 hour .

Simple common sense.

I believe that's optional.

I mean if they're losing $50 in 8 hours they could certainly invest that $50 in some form of redundancy... No excuses really other than profit margins.

• Now also my E5--- server down but another 6 server working good . All script have in this server so my earning stop now .

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited October 2017

@munni69 said:
    Now also my E5--- server down but another 6 server working good . All script have in this server so my earning stop now .

You should have planned for this, tough shit.

Thanked by 2ucxo jaypeesmith
  • "All script have in this server" == "I was too ignorant for backups"

• ZareZare Member, Host Rep

Must've been power issue again, members of WHT say all their servers rebooted. This seems to be a recurring issue with NOCIX and WSI? Would love to see their UPS and general power infrastructure.

• @Zare said:
    Must've been power issue again, members of WHT say all their servers rebooted. This seems to be a recurring issue with NOCIX and WSI? Would love to see their UPS and general power infrastructure.

I think NOCIX/WSI is more like: what is a UPS? we just use old af diesel generators

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

I noticed network/routing issues after the power loss.
    Guess that is what happens when gear boots up in random order.
    Hope it stays stable from now on.

• ZareZare Member, Host Rep

@mikho said:

Really bad if that was the case - to know their core routing equipment isn't on dual PSU's with diverse routing. I guess you get what you pay for though.

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

@Zare said:

Their entire power setup might as well be a large set of daisy chained 9v batteries.

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited October 2017

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited October 2017

derp!

• Anyone else still down? Tried reloading/rebooting from control panel, still server is unreachable.

Support doesnt reply beyond "Theyll look into it" (10 hours ago).

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Zare said:

@mikho said:

Really bad if that was the case - to know their core routing equipment isn't on dual PSU's with diverse routing. I guess you get what you pay for though.

It’s funny you bring that up ;-).

Thanked by 4nik Rhys Zerpy J1021
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited October 2017

I got this answer to my ticket from them:

We had severe weather that came through and took out our power for a short period of time. All power has been restored at this time.

Now, for all of you that asking from Nocix-WSI to have redundancy with ups, new gen of generators and backups about a power loss to avoid an hour of downtime, are you asking this without price rising? Because if you want an E-5 for 25$ per month and a /29 or a c2q with 10TB of traffic and 4GB memory for 15$ AND a full redundant network/power, then, you are just nuts.
    They sell dirty cheap servers. And when we say dirty cheap, the cheapest in the US, without even setup fees. How can they do it? By cutting costs from infrastructure, obviously.
    If you don't like it or if you moaning because you...lost 50, 100, 200$ for some hours of downtime or you have clients you maybe lose them, then, go elsewhere and pay much more. If you want a working server for testing, non critical jobs or even production stuff having also your own live backups elsewhere in case of, then, nocix-WSI are for you!

• Reply for ticket said server is responding to ping/traceroute now and closed. Still can't connect at my end. Was trialling a server to replace a delimiter one.

Can we drop this 'buy cheap, get what you pay for' circle jerk that pops up in every thread like this? It's starting to feel too much like WHT. No one here is expecting IBM uptime on a Sourceforge budget, but if they wanna have a moan then let them bloody well moan.

• WSSWSS Member

@jvnadr said:
    a c2q with 10TB of traffic and 4GB memory for 15$ AND a full redundant network/power, then, you are just nuts.

I would expect them to have backup on their core network, yeah.

• RhysRhys Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2017

@Zare said:

@mikho said:

Last time I checked your power solution/situation in Bristol isn't much better. Nor your network for that matter. Very diverse.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited October 2017

WSS said: I would expect them to have backup on their core network, yeah.

I dunno their infrastructure, but as of my experience, I am with them for over 3 years and I had only a major downtime (several hours) and two minor ones (including yesterdays incident). Hickups on their network, are similar as I see in much more expensive providers and their speed is more than fair, especially for the price and, once again, sometimes better than more expensive servers.
    So, having or not backup on their core network, their infrastructure really works for me, considering that for a dual cpu E5520 (8 cores 16 threads) with 24GB memory, 3TB HDD, a /29 and 10TB traffic@1Gbit, I am paying 25$ per month...

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • WSSWSS Member

@jvnadr said:

WSS said: I would expect them to have backup on their core network, yeah.

I've had this host with them less than a month, and almost exactly 2.5 hours downtime due to the power outage. Now, the host dropping off? I can live with that. Having no backup on the network? Yeah, that's ghetto as shit.

For what it's worth, I've never seen anything near your build from them for $25 on either WSI or NOCIX.

• Hm, my gateway IP responds to ping, but not the server IP.

Can't do much since it's preconfig, and reloading the OS still leaves it inaccessible.

They reply it's showing at login on their end, but it's just unreachable from all ping locations I've tried.

• Being at that ... maybe your definition of a simple but reasonable hoster is different but here's mine:

• min. 2 back end networks/providers
    • min. 2 x 10 Gbit back end fibers and ports (not necessarily fully used)
    • dual/redundant router + core switch
    • dual PS (incl. gen. + ups) for the core infrastructure
    • ups to the racks to allow for orderly shutdown (2+ minutes)

strongly desirable but not a must:

• dual PS to the racks
    • dual fibers to the racks
    • redundant server power supplies

TL;DR: A professional provider will stay above water, no matter whether a back end pipe breaks or a electricity provider fails or ...

A cheap provider will stay above water, albeit in a limited "survival mode". wrt networking that may mean "considerably slower than usual but still reasonably operational" .

Regarding power we come to a point that often amazes me, namely: Pretty much all the unixes understand UPS "I'm about to die. You should shutdown" messages - yet I do not know a single provider who forwards those messages to the racks and servers. Being at that I'd also bet that almost none of the providers who sell servers without redundant power supply at least follow/check/monitor these single power supplies to know when one is about to die.

Final side note: I'm amazed how many providers are with nocix. I would have expected better. nocix is obviously an amateur operation (which is OK for cheap end users but not for vps providers, sorry).

Thanked by 2WSS IAlwaysBeCoding
  • CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

Nocix is the Kimsufi of the US. You don't put production stuff on a Kimsufi either.

• WSS said: For what it's worth, I've never seen anything near your build from them for $25 on either WSI or NOCIX.

Sorry, it is 30$, I forgot the exact price.

• WSSWSS Member

You should ask for your /64. It's free.

• bsdguy said: which is OK for cheap end users but not for vps providers, sorry

I couldn't agree more. Selling vps from a box without redundancy, raid, multihomed network etc., can be a ticking bomb for a vps hosting provider.

• @agoldenberg said:

@Lee said:

@agoldenberg said:
    Everything with them is down. No idea whats going on with these guys.......

Their website is up.

It just came back up. I opened a ticket and it's still going up and down.

You'll see cloudflare errors

Same here .their web plus servers .cba about uptime anyway