Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I need a low cost dedicated server - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I need a low cost dedicated server

2»

Comments

• meh

• Strikerr said: chipcore ru i3 $8.26 out of stock

Wow, pricing isn't bad. Did you (or anyone else) try them? The SSD is kinda small but the specs are pretty good for the price and location (even though it might be structurally out of stock?)

WSS said: a Core2 pops up.

The core2quad you mentionned was indeed interesting. A core2duo (as still available) is slow though - most VPS with dedicated core will be faster...

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

datanoise said: The core2quad you mentionned was indeed interesting. A core2duo (as still available) is slow though - most VPS with dedicated core will be faster...

I don't know about that. How many VPS providers actually dedicate a whole core to a single client? Truly high end CPUs with dedicated cores would not be so cheap. For cheap and truly dedicated cores, the CPUs would need to be a bit older or lower spec, and so may actually may not perform as well as a dedicated Core2Duo or Core2Quad server.

Consider a C2D E8400 - Passmark score of 2,159
    And a Xeon E3-1230v6 - Passmark score of 11,081

I suppose per core, you could consider it to be 2,770, which is 28% better than the C2D.

But the C2D, for any host who has them, can look at it as having $0 cost (in terms of hardware). And the power cost would be modest, of about $10 - $15 /month.

The E3-1230v6 would have about $2 - $3 /month in electricity cost (per core), so there is an operating cost saving, but how long would it take before you can break even or 'profit'.

You could conceivably rent out an old C2D server for $20 - $30 /month, leaving you $10 - $20 /month in 'profit'.

A reasonably spec'd E3 would cost about $1,000. At $20 /month, that's only $80 for the whole server, and would take over 14 months to break even. Or 9 months if sold at $30.

In terms CPU performance, once you factor in cost, I don't think a modern VPS is has a significant advantage over a dedicated CPU on an old server.

On the other hand, having a dedicated server means having dedicated HDD/SSD, RAM, Network Port, etc. CPU power may not be as big a concern as other factors.

So I would not totally discount the usefulness of old hardware. They can still be useful.

And yes, I have oversimplified the above cases,completely ignoring cost of bandwidth, IPs, rack space, and have not even touched on the potential benefits of a virtualisation environment, or access to new instructions sets on newer CPUs, or clock-speed considerations, etc. Take everything I say with a TABLESPOON of salt (as you would for those highly questionable 'passmark' results).

• rdesrdes Member
    edited October 2017

Found this few days ago:
    https://www.serverroom.net/orderdedicated/M701#configuration

Opteron X2150/8 GB/32 GB SSD for 7$ monthly (and 13.99 setup). There's also yearly payment available, without setup.
    Haven't tested yet, but looks interesting ;).

edit: It looks like there's only IPv6 with this server.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • datanoisedatanoise Member
    edited October 2017

randvegeta said: How many VPS providers actually dedicate a whole core to a single client?

Don't know how many but some do. Tier.net on their cheap VPS line said they do for example, and I expect one of their cores to be faster than a slow C2D. For a long time at Vultr it was possible to use 100% of CPU when needed, didn't check if it was still the case but wouldn't be surprised if it still is.

randvegeta said: Consider a C2D E8400 - Passmark score of 2,159

And a Xeon E3-1230v6 - Passmark score of 11,081

You're right, it depends what kind of C2D is in those servers: @sin had a E5200 in the past (passmark 1489) but here they say the cpu is 1.66Ghz or faster: a Core2Duo T5500 @ 1.66GHz has a passmark score of 921 only..

That kind of CPU is still better than old atoms and quite capable. It also depends mostly of the intended usage: if it's to serve mostly static files for example, bandwidth will probably be the bottleneck before the CPU.

Comparison with a VPS has to be done also on the storage level: you get more privacy on that kind of cheap dedi (if you use FDE) but no redundancy, while most VPS nodes come with (at least) RAID 10.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

datanoise said: @sin had a E5200 in the past (passmark 1489) but here they say the cpu is 1.66Ghz or faster: a Core2Duo T5500 @ 1.66GHz has a passmark score of 921 only..

Ahh. Such is the case when dealing with ultra low end. I mean, if you start off with a low end CPU from >10 years ago, then it's definitely going to be less and less useful in the future.

A modern i3, or Pentium is pretty cheap these days. Even if you consider the the old servers as having $0 cost, the power difference within the first year alone can normally pay for the new hardware.

I've generally stopped buying NEW low end hardware for this reason. The useful life span is actually not very long, and it tends to be more cost effective to just go for the high end stuff all the time.

An i7-950 for example. Already over 8 years old, but still performs better than current i3s. The power consumption is obviously higher, but servers spend most of the time idling. Anyone buying an i3 or old i7 isn't going to be hammering the CPU (if they needed the power, they would just rent/buy a proper and modern one).

An idling i7-950 will still use about double the power of an idling i3-6100 for example, but the idle power of the CPU will be small, and idling the RAM, Motherboard, HDDs, and the efficiency of the PSU will mean a very small total difference. An idle i7-950 with a high efficiency CPU probably uses about 70-80 watts, whereas the idle i3 would be 50-60 watts. So the difference in power consumption of a 1 year period would be about $20-$30. But even if the CPUs were being maxed out, the it would be less than $100 difference. Meaning it would still be reasonably economical to run an i7-950 as a budget dedicated server, and look a hell of a lot more attractive than the same age i3 CPU.

Just an opinion of course. Maybe I'm wrong and no one wants an old i7 :P

• i7-950 for example. Already over 8 years old, but still performs better than current i3s

this isn't true, because of chipset technologies and motherboard considerations ... in some cases like these, the benchmark can be misleading. one easy example; i7-950 MB won't support things like SATA 3.0

& of course the most cost effective approach, is buying the 2nd or 3rd tier

• its seems to be Virtual server not Dedicated, when click on configure button

@regele said:

@qingxi said:
    It is better than $ 10 / month. If someone can provide, please tell me. Thank you!

Hello,

https://oneprovider.com/dedicated-servers/paris-france 10$

• regeleregele Member, Host Rep

@Pkwebhost said:
    its seems to be Virtual server not Dedicated, when click on configure button

@regele said:

@qingxi said:
    It is better than $ 10 / month. If someone can provide, please tell me. Thank you!

Hello,

Hello,

Dedicated servers in Paris, France That's how it says the title, plus I used that server some time ago, back up. And to my surprise it was even dedicated.

• WSSWSS Member

@regele said:

@Pkwebhost said:
    its seems to be Virtual server not Dedicated, when click on configure button

@regele said:

@qingxi said:

Hello,

Hello,

Dedicated servers in Paris, France That's how it says the title, plus I used that server some time ago, back up. And to my surprise it was even dedicated.

It isn't. The "#10" deal is now a "Cloud Series", which is a KVM and they won't even let you install your own custom ISO on it. Please stop promoting these worthless resellers.