Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Southeast Asia provider with good routes, reliable connectivity, unlimited data - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Southeast Asia provider with good routes, reliable connectivity, unlimited data

2»

Comments

• Well, theoretically speaking there is i-83 with their Singapore nodes. They claim to have "unlimited" traffic even in ridiculous places like Singapore and New Zealand. However, looking at their track record and stability in the past, it's only a solution if you're fine with less than 80% uptime. Also, I doubt that it'd work for double digit TB.

Otherwise, OVH Singapore, you could get a dedi and pay the fee for an unlimited 100 Mbit/s port (+50 USD as far as I remember), which could be ideally about 60 TB? However, their routing is still not where it should be. Korea is a nice example, KT FTTx is 450ms+ to OVH SG. Not worth the money imo.

Or just ask @randvegeta, he can get you a great deal if you can live without direct routes to mainland China as stated above.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Incendiu said: This is LowEndTalk so a LowEndBudget :)

It's all relative. In HK, a 20sqr meter apartment cost about US$500K. So if I found a small apartment for $200K, I would consider that seriously cheap! On the other hand, $200k in most of Europe and USA can buy a pretty decent sized house.

So by which standard do you consider cheap to be cheap? Asia is more expensive for bandwidth, no exceptions. Cheap bandwidth by Asian standards are 'premium' price by US standards.

Rayhan said: So, how much can be the cost of 50 Mbps shared bandwidth in HK?

Well look, the cheapest DEDICATED 50Mbit would cost around US$200 /month (without China traffic). It could be cheaper on a larger commitment, but I think you would struggle to find anything cheaper than that.

On the other hand, you mention only 200GB of data transfer, which as @teamacc mentioned, is an average of only 0.7Mbit. You also mentioned 'shared'. Now shared is a very difficult thing to price for. How much total capacity? How many people sharing? It makes a difference.

But if you assume the average use is like you, and uses 200GB /month data transfer, and you had a 50Mbit line shared with... 25 people for example, then there would be capacity of about 600GB per person, and it could cost less than US$10 /month. So it could conceivably cost less than what you pay now and allow for 3x more data transfer usage. This scales up quite well too, so if you share 1G between 1,000 it would be cheaper per person. Same goes for 10G between 10,000 users.

But lets consider relatively high personal usage of 100GB /day. That would be equivalent to about 3TB /month or about a 10Mbit average. If you have a 10G uplink to the relatively cheap upstream providers, it could cost between $10 - $20 /month, just for bandwidth. And that's 10x more than you use now.

Incendiu said: Do you take Bitcoin?

We accept BitCoin ;) and we can do comparable pricing to ExpertVM.

http://hosthongkong.net/?page=vps

'Developer Servers' don't include the Premium route traffic. In case you want to give us a go.

Thanked by 1Rayhan
  • winnervpswinnervps Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2017

Jakarta - Indonesia is part of SouthEast Asia, and we have good connectivity. (Even though, Singapore would be your best bet as we are lacking around 12 - 16ms behind, Jakarta - to Singapore latency). But we have good connectivity to and from APAC (Asia Pacific). <100ms to most China. (our Indonesia routes are best, even compare to our SG location).

There are 3 kind of traffics (for our server product) and none of them counted based on volume:

1. Local (inter Indonesia connectivity). Usually this kind of traffic will depend / capped / limited based on the port speed of the server. We have peers among "local peer" and the connection doesn't cost us (inexpensive indeed), so we prolong to our customer as a complimentary, as well.
    2. SG or APAC traffic. These traffic are usually burstable to the port speed of the server, because some of these traffics might include GGC, Akamai, Netflix, etc. (content or cache that might be at SG and have "intra peering" and doesn't cost us a lot).
    3. International traffic. or the traffic that have not covered by the two mentioned. This traffic charged by speed, not volume (quota). Our upstreams also charged this traffic by speed and limit them. Correct this traffic is quite expensive, indeed! Beside the bandwidth cost in SG, we need to add another expensive connection also (from Jakarta to Singapore connectivity, either using IPLC or Lambda, or IP Transit).
    Thanked by 1mgilang
  • @randvegeta said:
    We accept BitCoin ;) and we can do comparable pricing to ExpertVM.

http://hosthongkong.net/?page=vps

'Developer Servers' don't include the Premium route traffic. In case you want to give us a go.

Premium route is China?

• edited October 2017

Japan latency is good

JAPAN to ASIA 30ms-60ms

JAPAN to US 80ms-110ms
    We have dedicated server E3-1276v3

10Mbps unlimited traffic
    or

100Mbps 2500G traffic

also support BTC

Regards

• @winnervps said:
    Jakarta - Indonesia is part of SouthEast Asia, and we have good connectivity. (Even though, Singapore would be your best bet as we are lacking around 12 - 16ms behind, Jakarta - to Singapore latency). But we have good connectivity to and from APAC (Asia Pacific). <100ms to most China. (our Indonesia routes are best, even compare to our SG location).

Thanks. As I asked ExpertVM, do you take Bitcoin?

• hzrhzr Member
    edited October 2017

JapanDedicatedServer said: Japan latency is good

yes japan is good ! but never use leonhosting, they are forum spammer

edited October 2017

Incendiu said: Premium route is China?

Bandwidth to China is incredibly expensive, so if you have a good and fast connection to China, I would call it 'Premium' yes. FYI, CN2 (China Telecom) bandwidth cost about US$150 - $200 per Mbit/s. Last quote I got from China Telecom was US$150,000 /month for a 1G uplink. So no real bulk discount. The big ISPs like PCCW, HGC and even HKBN get better rates, but still expensive.

Take out all the high cost routes, and then bandwidth is much more affordable.

The low cost routes are still perfectly good for Singapore, Japan, Hong Kong, and Taiwan, and a few other places in Asia. USA/EU makes little to no difference weather you use high cost or low cost routes, so you may as well use the low cost stuff.

• @randvegeta said:
    Take out all the high cost routes, and then bandwidth is much more affordable.

The low cost routes are still perfectly good for Singapore, Japan, Hong Kong, and Taiwan, and a few other places in Asia. USA/EU makes little to no difference weather you use high cost or low cost routes, so you may as well use the low cost stuff.

Those are some pricey numbers.

All your "Developer" servers are marked "Coming Soon" on the page -- http://hosthongkong.net/?page=vps -- so how do we order?

Incendiu said: All your "Developer" servers are marked "Coming Soon" on the page -- http://hosthongkong.net/?page=vps -- so how do we order?

That's Asia for you.

PM me the plan you want and I'll give you instructions.

• winnervpswinnervps Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2017

@Incendiu said:
    Thanks. As I asked ExpertVM, do you take Bitcoin?

Hi Incendiu, I'm so sorry, as we don't do "Bitcoining". But we accept Fasapay (it's popular among Forex industry though).

• @Incendiu said:
    Yes, but there are lots of VPS providers who offer unmetered connections so it seems like a reasonable criteria :)

NOBODY offers unlimited unmetered. Someone started marketing their service that way once upon a time and then everyone had to start doing it. In reality, if you actually try use it most providers will shut you down or just limit your connection speed.

• zevuszevus Member
    edited October 2017

@JapanDedicatedServer said:
    Japan latency is good

JAPAN to ASIA 30ms-60ms

JAPAN to US 80ms-110ms

10Mbps unlimited traffic
    or

100Mbps 2500G traffic

also support BTC

Regards

yeah, definitely. I can get 95ms on (some) japan providers from Tyler, Tx (near Dallas). lower than Europe.

lots of good providers in Japan, too (and inexpensive)

ed: i used conoha

• @LosPollosHermanos said:

@Incendiu said:
    Yes, but there are lots of VPS providers who offer unmetered connections so it seems like a reasonable criteria :)

NOBODY offers unlimited unmetered. Someone started marketing their service that way once upon a time and then everyone had to start doing it. In reality, if you actually try use it most providers will shut you down or just limit your connection speed.

Yes and no. If you are using "unlimited" ad absurdum and maxing out the pipe 24/7.. then yes I could imagine some providers not being happy.

But for my purposes, I know I won't be using absurd amounts of data. I just don't want to have to worry about data usage caps in the event I exceed the usual usage allotments by a reasonable factor.

That is precisely the use case to which "unlimited" offers are well suited.

• edited October 2017

@Incendiu said:

@LosPollosHermanos said:

@Incendiu said:

Yes and no. If you are using "unlimited" ad absurdum and maxing out the pipe 24/7.. then yes I could imagine some providers not being happy.

But for my purposes, I know I won't be using absurd amounts of data. I just don't want to have to worry about data usage caps in the event I exceed the usual usage allotments by a reasonable factor.

That is precisely the use case to which "unlimited" offers are well suited.

So you would rather go with a provider that lies to you about offering unlimited when in fact it's not and probably hides that in the fine print, as opposed to someone being upfront with you?

Thanked by 1Incendiu
  • randvegeta said: And then beyond HK, a lot of connectivity is US/EU bound, which is cheap and plentiful. The expensive stuff is Asia/China bound, and the usage is much smaller.

Nice summary, widely also applies to KR and parts of EU though the IX network and cheap long haul transport (partly also due to political stability) balances this out (RO, BG).

Notably depending on what ISP you use your connectivity to China in HK can vary a LOT - some are more geared mainlanders and mandarin speakers (or the cantonese minority/GD) and some are plainly english/cantonese based and more oriented towards US and EU (or, rather, "English" as SG).

Much more than in EU/US picking the right ISP in Asia can impact a lot of your performance, not just in China (good example mobile is Indonesia which seems to range from horribly unusable to actually not bad, wired anything non-monopoly in Asia has somewhat differing routes aside of Mongolia, some worse (HK) and some just minor (ID, which ends up in SG with primary upstreams a lot but with various intermediate upstreams/transports from ID).

Incendiu said: But for my purposes, I know I won't be using absurd amounts of data. I just don't want to have to worry about data usage caps in the event I exceed the usual usage allotments by a reasonable factor.

In that case accept non burstable.

As you said low double digits TB max. you can just use 12000 (GB)/330 (GB in Mbit) to get = 35-40Mbit, this will cost you with a good upstream in Asia somewhere along this lines, with +-10-20% depending on POP and another +-10-20% on ISP.

• ~50$/Mbit (~2000$) - As below and at least 30% direct China included with a 50% oversold port (1:2), in HK, KR or TW. This is, for Asia, gold standard BW only few offer for maintenance/monitoring and cost/profit reasons. You can go higher to ~75$/Mbit by having higher China % or less overselling on the port, it tops at around 100$/Mbit for pure and gets cheaper then by volume.

• ~25$/Mbit (~1000$) - no HE, NTT/PCCW/HGC/something along Singtel/Telstra, vast peering (HK+SG and at least one other major IX), might has direct (from your host location) China but not really guaranteed, but will at least carry inside Asia always

• ~10$/Mbit (~400$) - not pure HE but with HE, no direct China (or on/off only with no guarantees) but at least routed inside Asia primarily, example would be NTT in HK/JP or KT in Korea or CWT in Taiwan)

• ~5$/Mbit (~200$) - mostly HE, most of Asia via US if not available peered in HK/SG/possibly JP, IX access for some useful things direct (eg. Vietnam or most of HK)

• ~2-3$/Mbit (~100$) - crap, IX BW and oversold HE or entire datacenter/room shared on few 100Mbit international. This can be had in Malaysia and can work for some things in Asia, now also with free HE added bro.

• 0.5-1$/Mbit (~35$) - Utter crap. Local IX and entire DC on hundred Mbit int BW or less per room. Indonesian "IIX" VPS/servers offer this and it is as bad as it sounds unless you use it as intended, to serve local IIX peered traffic at 100Mbit+ for few $.

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

William said: ~5$/Mbit (~200$) - mostly HE, most of Asia via US if not available peered in HK/SG/possibly JP, IX access for some useful things direct (eg. Vietnam or most of HK)

Generally speaking, your knowledge of the HK and Asia market is astounding. One would think you actually have some serious business in the area :-D.

The one thing I would say is, $5/Mbit HE.net is pretty cheap for a 50Mbit commit, but to be fair, on a 1G commit, the price (excluding a local loop) is generally available for $2/mbit. I think they lowered their prices when Tesltra started offering $2.5/Mbit. Cogent followed suit, also offering $2/Mbit.

The only caveat here was the offer was on a 10G port. If you commit to the full 10G, price was even better. Obviously these are oversubscribed, but that would be Cogent/HE.net/Telstra technically overselling rather than the host/DC. But most of the smaller providers I am aware of don't have more than 1G connection to any given upstream. And a 10G local loop is kind of expensive. If you get a 10G local loop + $2/Mbit 1G commit from HE.net, it's still gonna cost $4/Mbit. You need a full 10G commit to see that price come down much more.

Still.. $4/Mbit is damn cheap by HK / Asia standards.

Thanked by 1Incendiu
  • OliverOliver Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2017

@William Telstra and PCCW based transit is available in most Equinix facilities in Asia (Singapore, HK and Tokyo) for around $5-6/mbit even with small commits (100mbit).

HE is incredibly cheap for 1 gig commitments; in fact a cross connect between Equinix facilities to reach HE in some cities costs as much or more than the 1 gig transit commit with HE.

btw thanks @William and @randvegeta useful information here.

• @randvegeta I messaged you but haven't heard back, check your spam folder?

Oliver said: @William Telstra and PCCW based transit is available in most Equinix facilities in Asia (Singapore, HK and Tokyo) for around $5-6/mbit even with small commits (100mbit).

$5 - $6? I don't think so. Not unless it excludes China traffic. PCCW quote different rates depending on how much China bw has been committed to.

Telstra do bandwidth for $2.50 on a 1G commit, but you need a 10G port for that deal. So you can't get a 100Mbit deal, unless you're willing to pay more money on the xcon fee than you are on the transit....

PCCW will charge at least US$40 /month per mbit on a 200Mbit commit if it has any real China traffic it in. But even then it would be like 20-30% China max.

Incendiu said: @randvegeta I messaged you but haven't heard back, check your spam folder?

Oh yeah. I'll message you now.

• randvegeta said: Generally speaking, your knowledge of the HK and Asia market is astounding. One would think you actually have some serious business in the area :-D.

Well, that times are over as you know.... maybe again at one point :)

randvegeta said: $5 - $6? I don't think so. Not unless it excludes China traffic. PCCW quote different rates depending on how much China bw has been committed to.

Yea, this is without direct china (no percentage either, none) - This makes sense for him to request as his target market is not China but rather AU/NZ unlike ours.

I lost trust in PCCW since even the guaranteed ports have issues with congestion at time - this is to be blamed on the CN side obviously but at the scale of PCCW and the prices charged i'd expect them to have better guanxi there.

randvegeta said: Telstra do bandwidth for $2.50 on a 1G commit, but you need a 10G port for that deal. So you can't get a 100Mbit deal, unless you're willing to pay more money on the xcon fee than you are on the transit....

Notably, very rare for Asia, they do burstable ports at 95% in most locations. Insane pricing can be had and quality to EU/US is ok, just Asia can be hit or miss.

Better backend network management than PCCW for sure, especially congestion wise.

randvegeta said: The one thing I would say is, $5/Mbit HE.net is pretty cheap for a 50Mbit commit, but to be fair, on a 1G commit, the price (excluding a local loop) is generally available for $2/mbit. I think they lowered their prices when Tesltra started offering $2.5/Mbit. Cogent followed suit, also offering $2/Mbit.

Depends, i don't expect OP to sign with a carrier directly for various reasons aside of commit, but rather as Tier3 customer so the price is not as high as it would be for a 100M port with 100M commit (which HE does, 500-700$ or so).

Cogent in Asia is useless anyway, even more than HE - their pricing war stopped mostly when HE shifted focus on things Cogent does not have and has no desire to get into (Brazil, South Africa, UAE...), by pure transport costs both could still go cheaper (considering we know what a 10/40G wave costs on most newer cable systems for smaller users even, especially in Europe).

Oliver said: HE is incredibly cheap for 1 gig commitments; in fact a cross connect between Equinix facilities to reach HE in some cities costs as much or more than the 1 gig transit commit with HE.

This happened in HK also, the LL from HGC to CHU at times did nearly always cost way more than HKIX ports/usage and with HE later also more than transit.

It did adapt and loops are now cheaper especially between the western owned DCs/Cages (Equinix, Softlayer space, Leaseweb etc.) and the "old" core DCs that had to do something to keep business (MegaI/JumboI, CHU to less extent as they have the primary HKIX but they had to also with the secondary locations, NTT bought HKNET etc.).

@randvegeta probably knows more for prices nowadays, but a Gbit MegaI<->Equinix should be way less than 3000 HKD now (~400US$) which granted is still expensive (1G Vienna-Budapest or Vienna-Prague costs around 500EUR and is way more distance, on the other hand a loop in Vienna will cost you more than in HK, so this is not THAT far off).

• @JapanDedicatedServer said:
    Japan latency is good

JAPAN to ASIA 30ms-60ms

JAPAN to US 80ms-110ms

10Mbps unlimited traffic
    or

100Mbps 2500G traffic

also support BTC

Regards

Nice server, is there any cheaper vps ?

• ru_tldru_tld Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2017

Hi

We can offer the following server with unlimited traffic on 100Mbit port both in Hong Kong and Singapore for 179 EUR/month

Dell R210-II/Intel Xeon E3-1220/16GB/2x1TB SATA/100Mbit unmetered / Hong Kong or Singapore - 179 EUR/month

Just PM me or contact through e-mail [email protected] for this deal.
    We accept BTC.

• @JapanDedicatedServer

Is there any promotional activity available?