Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question regarding UK/US/Spain Newspapers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Question regarding UK/US/Spain Newspapers

Hello everyone,
So in a week I am starting to study English & American Studies + Spanish at my University so I decided I wanna follow along the respective quality papers of the countries UK/US/SPAIN to know what's happening from their POV. What would quality papers be in UK/US/Spain? I'd assume The Guardian and The New York Times (no idea for Spain). Any recommendations?

Comments

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited October 2017

For the UK, the ones to go for are The Guardian, The Times, The Observer, The Telegraph and the Financial Times. If you want a rounded political view, I suggest The Guardian and at least one of the others.

• @Nekki said:
    For the UK, the ones to go for are The Guardian, The Times, The Observer, The Telegraph and the Financial Times. If you want a rounded political view, I suggest The Guardian and at least one of the others.

Thanks @Nekki :)

• WSSWSS Member

Also, burn them all before you end up reading any of the dreck printed upon them. Then, go to Vine!

• The Guardian Weekly is pretty nice, they had nice deals in the past for really, really cheap yearly subscription, sadly not available anymore.

The Economist (way more liberal) currently has a 12 weeks for €20 offer, as long as you don't forget to cancel before you receive the 12 issues it's interesting.

• The New York Times and The Guardian are both good if you want to practice English. But if you're trying to get a perspective from their respective countries you'll want to keep in mind that they are both well-known for being solidly on the left side of the political spectrum. You could balance them out by reading The Washington Times and maybe The Telegraph (I can't bring myself to recommend The Sun, even though that would be more appropriate), respectively.

If you're looking for something to listen to instead of reading, National Public Radio has many good podcasts. (Again, clearly slanted left. But I have nothing of a similar quality to recommend on the right.) This American Life is an interesting non-news program that might give you more insight into American culture than our newspapers. :)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • I am afraid all our newspapers are crap :P.

Anyway, if you have to choose one: http://www.20minutos.es/

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • PlioserPlioser Member
    edited October 2017

Spain.

Right wing: El mundo - El país

Center: Eldiario.es

Left wing: Público

Sports: Marca - As

Money: Expansión - El economista

Thanked by 2Ympker lion
  • @datanoise said:
    The Guardian Weekly is pretty nice, they had nice deals in the past for really, really cheap yearly subscription, sadly not available anymore.

The Economist (way more liberal) currently has a 12 weeks for €20 offer, as long as you don't forget to cancel before you receive the 12 issues it's interesting.

I can get the papers free at Uni with a 1-2 day delay to publish date + archieves so I dont need a subscription :P

• @szarka said:
    I can't bring myself to recommend The Sun, even though that would be more appropriate

Why would The Scum be more appropriate that the telegraph?

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • Ympker said: I can get the papers free at Uni with a 1-2 day delay to publish date

Nice! Why don't you just go to the library and check which one(s) you prefer?

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Nekki said:

@szarka said:
    I can't bring myself to recommend The Sun, even though that would be more appropriate

Why would The Scum be more appropriate that the telegraph?

More populist, which seems to be a reality these days (unfortunately).

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @datanoise said:

Ympker said: I can get the papers free at Uni with a 1-2 day delay to publish date

Nice! Why don't you just go to the library and check which one(s) you prefer?

I did :P Was just looking for some local input ;D

• jhjh Member

In the UK, the only good newspaper in my opinion is the Financial Times (which isn't just finance). The Guardian is well written but full of whinging about tiny injustices.

The Times and The Telegraph are also well written but select stories that further their pollitical agenda.

The Economist is better than a newspaper. The BBC news website is good and free but they omit most of what would be awkward for the government.

Thanked by 2Ympker datanoise
  • I say skip the papers and read long form journalism instead, the likes of the New Yorker, the Atlantic Monthly, and such. Most of those articles end up on longreads.com and longform.org anyway.

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • @WSS said:
    Also, burn them all before you end up reading any of the dreck printed upon them. Then, go to Vine!

Who?

• WSSWSS Member

@doghouch said:

@WSS said:

Who?

Pretty much. They were a 'short video' host by Twitter or Tumblr or something. When you have a few seconds to get your whole bit done, there isn't a ton of self-fellatio.

• @WSS said:

@doghouch said:

@WSS said:

Who?

Pretty much. They were a 'short video' host by Twitter or Tumblr or something. When you have a few seconds to get your whole bit done, there isn't a ton of self-fellatio.

I know who they are. I was just referring to Vine being dead?

• WSSWSS Member

Yeah, they're dead.