Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Southeast Asia provider with good routes, reliable connectivity, unlimited data
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Southeast Asia provider with good routes, reliable connectivity, unlimited data

Any recommendations for a Southeast Asia provider with good connectivity, reliable uptime, and unlimited traffic? Bitcoin payment preferred...

Disk space / etc is not a concern for this project.

Comments

• Theoretically, you need to have unlimited money for unlimited traffic.

:)

Thanked by 1hostdare
  • Yes, but there are lots of VPS providers who offer unmetered connections so it seems like a reasonable criteria :)

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

Unlimited and in asia either you got alot of money or you need to be realistic

• Is the Asia traffic situation that bad? I'm used to hosts in Europe where unlimited bandwidth is very common...

• Incendiu said: Is the Asia traffic situation that bad? I'm used to hosts in Europe where unlimited bandwidth is very common...

Yes.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2017

So do you plan to max a 100M/1G port 24/7 or do you just want unlimited for peace of mind? Or do you plan to use 30Mbps 24/7 on a 100M port? Big differences in costs for that area.

Thanked by 1mgilang
  • Bandwidth in Asia is much expensive compared to Europe & USA.

Unlimited bandwidth will be a dream, if you are looking for 100 Mbps to 1 Gbps port speed with 2 digit $ range.

• maybe 2Mbps with unlimited bandwidth ?

• ovh

• @MikeA said:
    So do you plan to max a 100M/1G port 24/7 or do you just want unlimited for peace of mind? Or do you plan to use 30Mbps 24/7 on a 100M port? Big differences in costs for that area.

Nothing that extreme. Estimated monthly usage in the single, maybe double digit TB at the VERY most.

I just want to avoid getting hit with overage charges (or network cut offs!) from the providers that cap usage at 1TB per month.

• @im8a said:
    ovh

Hmm, I've dealt with them twice now, and was not at all satisfied.

• @Rayhan said:
    Bandwidth in Asia is much expensive compared to Europe & USA.

Unlimited bandwidth will be a dream, if you are looking for 100 Mbps to 1 Gbps port speed with 2 digit $ range.

And here I thought the region (particularly countries like South Korea or Japan*) were the best connected, most wired, best connected places on the planet.

• Not really my original criteria, but I'd take something there too if I had to.
  • @Incendiu said: And here I thought the region (particularly countries like South Korea or Japan*) were the best connected, most wired, best connected places on the planet.

• Not really my original criteria, but I'd take something there too if I had to.

So, you need about 50 Mbps unmetered bandwidth?

As you are looking for great service, only Singapore is recommended as location.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

We do HK based servers. But what kind of budget are you looking at?

More importantly, what is your definition of 'good connectivity'? Low latency to China and around Asia?

The price of bandwidth in HK can be reasonable if your expectations are also reasonable :)

@Incendiu said:

@Rayhan said:
    Bandwidth in Asia is much expensive compared to Europe & USA.

And here I thought the region (particularly countries like South Korea or Japan*) were the best connected, most wired, best connected places on the planet.

Home broadband and commercial IP transit are vastly different.

• dyudyu Member

I just want to avoid getting hit with overage charges (or network cut offs!) from the providers that cap usage at 1TB per month.

This is my general feeling as well. The fact that your $5 vps gets billed an extra $10/TB to $25/TB.
    With linode, atleast the bandwidth is pooled so you can just launch an extra $5 vps to get 1TB when you're near the limit.

• @randvegeta said: Home broadband and commercial IP transit are vastly different.

I know and i think bandwidth in HK will be more expensive than my unmetered broadband internet connection.

@Rayhan said:

@randvegeta said: Home broadband and commercial IP transit are vastly different.

I know and i think bandwidth in HK will be more expensive than my unmetered broadband internet connection.

Yes and no.

Broadband users typically don't max our their connections, and the line remains idle for most of the day.

The only way your connection can be cheaper and better than proper IP transit is if your connection is actually being 'subsidised'. The ISPs rely on the fact that most people don't use that much, and they will average it all out.

Another thing to consider is that most bandwidth will be local HK. So for things like Youtube, or other heavy media sites, there is probably already a local HK server for which they connect to, and local HK bandwidth is much cheaper than international. And then beyond HK, a lot of connectivity is US/EU bound, which is cheap and plentiful. The expensive stuff is Asia/China bound, and the usage is much smaller.

If you want a server in HK that is COST optimized, then it can be very cheap and performance still good for HK, SG, TW, JP, USA, EU and a few other places. But if you need good connectivity to other parts of Asia, China in particular, then the cost can be enormous.

So if the OP is just looking for lots of bandwidth, and doesn't care so much about which routes are used, or latency, then it can be quite affordable. Not as cheap as USA/EU, but not too far off.

So what kind of budget does the OP have?

• @randvegeta

Well done, that overview. Thanks.

@bsdguy said:
    @randvegeta

Thanks. Unless your remark is sarcastic. in which case... "thanks"!

• @randvegeta

So, how much can be the cost of 50 Mbps shared bandwidth in HK? I am also from Asia and currently paying about $12.50 month for 50 Mbps broadband connection. The average worldwide speed is 20 Mbps, about 30 Mbps in Asia and 48+ Mbps in my country. My local provider didn't set any speed limit for me and my average usage is 200GB of data on every month.

Interested to know about both home and datacenter bandwidth price in HK.

• @randvegeta said:

@bsdguy said:
    @randvegeta

Thanks. Unless your remark is sarcastic. in which case... "thanks"!

No, not sarcastic. I mean it.

• @Rayhan said:
    @randvegeta

So, how much can be the cost of 50 Mbps shared bandwidth in HK? I am also from Asia and currently paying about $12.50 month for 50 Mbps broadband connection. The average worldwide speed is 20 Mbps, about 30 Mbps in Asia and 48+ Mbps in my country. My local provider didn't set any speed limit for me and my average usage is 200GB of data on every month.

Interested to know about both home and datacenter bandwidth price in HK.

Oh god, why you compare home broadband to datacenter?

• @randvegeta said:
    We do HK based servers. But what kind of budget are you looking at?

More importantly, what is your definition of 'good connectivity'? Low latency to China and around Asia?

This is LowEndTalk so a LowEndBudget :)

Reasonably good latency to southeast Asia. The goal is to improve performance relative to the current EU system, I don't need to win a packet race.

("and they're off! Traceroute reports the first hop was cleared in a record time, ladies and gentlemen, this is going to be one exciting...")

• Adding: No traffic to China so those (I hear expensive) routes aren't an issue.

• ExpertVMExpertVM Member, Host Rep

Alternative solution, LA provider for high bandwidth requirement

• Well, there's surprisingly little US traffic so I'm not sure that would help. Also, w.r.t high bandwidth, I should emphasize that those numbers are highly conservative... I just checked and the EU box is doing about 6 GB/day (which averages out to 180GB/mo) for the last few days (which did have unusually low usage).

• @ExpertVM just checked out your site, looks good. Do you take Bitcoin?

• ExpertVMExpertVM Member, Host Rep

@Incendiu said:
    @ExpertVM just checked out your site, looks good. Do you take Bitcoin?

Sorry to let you know that we are unable to process Bitcoin at the moment.

• @Rayhan said:

My local provider didn't set any speed limit for me and my average usage is 200GB of data on every month.

So that means you dont have 50mbit in use, you average at about 0.7mbit. Hence it can be cheap.

Thanked by 1Aidan