Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RamNode is now offering shared hosting - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RamNode is now offering shared hosting

Comments

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited September 2017

I am not a Ramnode customer since quite some time, but I would trust them to do this right. I mean -I have one of those Hostmantis plans for a fraction of Ramnode‘s price and it is already very acceptable. With all the cheapskates at other providers (with even lower prices), Ramnode will surely not suffer from the worst clientele out there.

@Nick_A: Is there a way for resellers to easily take backups of all subaccounts at once?

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Nick_A said:
    We updated our pricing a bit. $4 for shared, $8 for reseller. Making sure we have the right balance!

A drop from $7 to $4 (for shared) is significant -- I wonder what is behind it. Too few plans sold in X time? A delayed realization that the shared hosting market is intensely competitive? Or a marketing strategy: raise prices and then lower them to make the offers appear psychologically more attractive? Just wondering ...

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Amitz said: @Nick_A: Is there a way for resellers to easily take backups of all subaccounts at once?

Not something cPanel offers to my knowledge.

angstrom said: A drop from $7 to $4 (for shared) is significant

Really $5.25 -> $4, so not that significant.

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited September 2017

@Nick_A said: angstrom said: A drop from $7 to $4 (for shared) is significant

Really $5.25 -> $4, so not that significant.

Well, assuming that $5.25 was the old monthly price paid annually, then it would be better to compare this to the new monthly price paid annually, which is $3.6 ($43.20 annually). $5.25 --> $3.6 is a price reduction of 32%, which is approximately a third of the original price, which seems pretty significant.

Taking the old monthly price paid monthly, which was $7, and now $4, the reduction is 43%, even more significant.

It was the 25% off deal that was referred to several times earlier in this thread :)

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Sweet, price already adjusted and an account credit :)

• Ramnodes quality and reputation is well known. But still, $7/m is quite expensive. Hostrush has $9.99/year, dedicated IP, Litespeed, can host 5 domains

https://www.hostrush.com/

Thanked by 1vovler

@dergelbe said:
    Ramnodes quality and reputation is well known. But still, $7/m is quite expensive.

Please see the last few posts in this thread...

@Nick_A said:

@dergelbe said:
    Ramnodes quality and reputation is well known. But still, $7/m is quite expensive.

Ignore the (likely) shill. Not the first time he's popped into a thread, where no one asked for recommendations, and made a sales pitch for that host

Thanked by 1IAlwaysBeCoding
  • angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited September 2017

@Nick_A said:
    It was the 25% off deal that was referred to several times earlier in this thread :)

Oh, I see, there was a coupon earlier. This explains $7 --> $5.25.

Even so, $5.25 --> $4 is a further reduction of 24%, which seems pretty significant. So there must have been a sudden change of strategy.

• @Harambe said:

@Nick_A said:

@dergelbe said:

Ignore the (likely) shill. Not the first time he's popped into a thread, where no one asked for recommendations, and made a sales pitch for that host

You may want to refrain from unfounded accusations. Unfake experiences should be welcome. I am very well familiar with Ramnode, I wouldn't use them for shared hosting though, for the simple reason I don't have that many domains. For 10+ domains they would be my first choice.

Obviously they aim at iPage etc. Not sure they can beat them in marketing budget, but certainly in quality.

@dergelbe said:

You may want to refrain from unfounded accusations.

You did it in another host's offer thread before.

Unfake experiences should be welcome.

No one asked for your experience with another host, that no one mentioned, in this thread. :)

Thanked by 1IAlwaysBeCoding
  • Nick_A said: Please see the last few posts in this thread...

do you use white label domain on reseller plan? how about dedicated IP any discount/price changes?

• @dergelbe said:

@Harambe said:

@Nick_A said:

@dergelbe said:

You may want to refrain from unfounded accusations. Unfake experiences should be welcome. I am very well familiar with Ramnode, I wouldn't use them for shared hosting though, for the simple reason I don't have that many domains. For 10+ domains they would be my first choice.

Obviously they aim at iPage etc. Not sure they can beat them in marketing budget, but certainly in quality.

Bro, you are recommending a host that nobody fucking knows that uses a gmail address on their who.is vs a top provider on LET that actually has people recommending them on other places like hacker news. I don't know your post just seems so out of place.

Thanked by 4Harambe Nick_A WSS jvnadr

@angstrom said:

@Nick_A said:

Even so, $5.25 --> $4 is a further reduction of 24%, which seems pretty significant. So there must have been a sudden change of strategy.

It's a buck 25 lol. No "sudden change of strategy" - just trying to find the right balance as I said initially. We weren't caught off guard or whatever it is you're driving at - we just started higher to see how demand looked while knowing full well we might need to make some changes until we find the sweet spot for this product. It's trial and error when you launch a new product.

Thanked by 2Harambe Aluminat

@sibaper said:

Nick_A said: Please see the last few posts in this thread...

do you use white label domain on reseller plan? how about dedicated IP any discount/price changes?

No, we don't technically white label, but due to how we route mail through mailchannels (unbranded), and the fact that you can point customers to cpanel.yourdomain.com and whm.yourdomain.com which will not redirect to our parent domain (since we provision SSL certificates for all valid subdomains automatically), it is essentially white labelled. The only exception is r1soft backups. If a customer accesses backups, they will see our domain name in the URL.

Thanked by 1sibaper
    edited September 2017

@Nick_A said:

you can point customers to cpanel.yourdomain.com and whm.yourdomain.com which will not redirect to our parent domain (since we provision SSL certificates for all valid subdomains automatically), it is essentially white labelled

The /cpanel redirect goes to the nodename.ramnode.com subdomain though, not https//whateverdomain:2083 like on some other cPanel hosts. Also rDNS is configured with the .ramnode.com URL. DNS is Ramnode-branded with rDNS as well.

The closest to white label that you can get with our service is by visiting cpanel.yourdomain.com. That will not forward back to our hostname. If you provide /cpanel to your customers instead of cpanel.yourdomain.com, then it will forward to our hostname.

• ..and now you know why they can afford to shave off the $1.25 (They got rid of the person who does the mod_rewrite trickery)!

Thanked by 2Harambe angstrom

@Nick_A said:
    The closest to white label that you can get with our service is by visiting cpanel.yourdomain.com. That will not forward back to our hostname. If you provide /cpanel to your customers instead of cpanel.yourdomain.com, then it will forward to our hostname.

Just figured it might be an option to toggle or something that can be tweaked to use whatever domain you're on + port, since it's not like you can disable it for customer domains/force them to use the subdomain. And if anyone has used cPanel before they're likely familiar with that shortcut - along with like /webmail.

• @Nick_A said:

@angstrom said:

@Nick_A said:

It's a buck 25 lol. No "sudden change of strategy" - just trying to find the right balance as I said initially. We weren't caught off guard or whatever it is you're driving at - we just started higher to see how demand looked while knowing full well we might need to make some changes until we find the sweet spot for this product. It's trial and error when you launch a new product.

Fair enough. It was more the advertised price drop $7 --> $4 that seemed dramatic less than two weeks after the product launch.

• bought one in EU and so far so good

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • @Nick_A Alright, looking more interesting at $4/mo now with bonus Ramnode quality. Speaking of quality, would you disclose what hardware you use for your shared hosting ?

@FredQc said:
    @Nick_A Alright, looking more interesting at $4/mo now with bonus Ramnode quality. Speaking of quality, would you disclose what hardware you use for your shared hosting ?

Sure - same as our Premium and VDS lines. E3s, RAID10 SSDs.

• dragon1993dragon1993 Member
    edited October 2017

@Harambe said:

@dragon1993 said:

Yes, i would have liked this:
    https://raw.githubusercontent.com/php/php-src/master/Zend/bench.php
    Thanks for the help

Here's the output I got (PHP 7.1 being used on this account):

simple 0.053
    simplecall 0.009
    simpleucall 0.023
    simpleudcall 0.025
    mandel 0.167
    mandel2 0.170
    ackermann(7) 0.026
    ary(50000) 0.005
    ary2(50000) 0.004
    ary3(2000) 0.050
    fibo(30) 0.083
    hash1(50000) 0.014
    hash2(500) 0.009
    heapsort(20000) 0.034
    matrix(20) 0.032
    nestedloop(12) 0.087
    sieve(30) 0.020
    strcat(200000) 0.005

Total 0.815

Thanks,good values.
    Currently I use 2 providers.

Rackforest (SSD One)

simple             0.011
    simplecall         0.003
    simpleucall        0.007
    simpleudcall       0.003
    mandel             0.039
    mandel2            0.049
    ackermann(7)       0.017
    ary(50000)         0.004
    ary2(50000)        0.003
    ary3(2000)         0.034
    fibo(30)           0.051
    hash1(50000)       0.009
    hash2(500)         0.007
    heapsort(20000)    0.014
    matrix(20)         0.015
    nestedloop(12)     0.026
    sieve(30)          0.008
    strcat(200000)     0.004
    ------------------------
    Total              0.303

MikroVPS (LH HU/Unl-Unl)

simple             0.048
    simplecall         0.022
    simpleucall        0.082
    simpleudcall       0.078
    mandel             0.372
    mandel2            0.413
    ackermann(7)       0.067
    ary(50000)         0.008
    ary2(50000)        0.006
    ary3(2000)         0.116
    fibo(30)           0.226
    hash1(50000)       0.024
    hash2(500)         0.021
    heapsort(20000)    0.072
    matrix(20)         0.079
    nestedloop(12)     0.071
    sieve(30)          0.040
    strcat(200000)     0.011
    ------------------------
    Total              1.757

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited October 2017

Well, I took the plunge and got myself a reseller account. Moved some 20ish low traffic sites over (EU location) and cannot complain until now. All decent and swift. Let's see how the server behaves as soon as it fills, but for the moment, everything is alright.

angrysnarl said: bought one in EU and so far so good

Yo! Neighbour! ;) Stay civil - I will behave too...

Have personal and company reseller accounts and a client shared account on the US server.

Only have a few low traffic sites on there currently. Things are running great so far though, hopefully doesn't get too bogged down as it fills up because it's really speedy at the moment.

• I like how speedy it is so far. Do they run these on VMs? My server information shows 4 cores.

• @caracal said:
    I like how speedy it is so far. Do they run these on VMs? My server information shows 4 cores.

Yeah, they are KVM VMs according to the WHM reseller panel.

Thanked by 2caracal WSS
  • WSSWSS Member

I suppose that's one way to ensure clients don't completely monopolize the shared platform to death. I'd hate to think of the evil iptables rulesets for people who don't have a private IP.