Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Register.com or Internetbs sold my phone number to telemarketers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Register.com or Internetbs sold my phone number to telemarketers

NickMNickM Member
edited March 2013 in General

Last week I registered domains from both Register.com and Internetbs for the first time. Since then, I've gotten more than a dozen calls from the lowlife scum that one of these companies sold my information to. I haven't had this problem with any other domain registrar, and since it started happening after registering domains from these two companies, the only logical explanation is that they sold my information to some telemarketer. In addition, I've gotten several unsolicited calls from Register.com themselves, so I suspect that they're the ones who sold my info, but I can't rule out Internetbs. Has anyone here had a similar experience with either of these companies? I'd like to figure out which company did this so that I know not to do any further business with them.

Comments

• That's nice of them. Check their policies on privacy and such? I would.

Are you in the US? If so, I'd read those policies and get ready to take some action.

InternetBS is "offshore" so rule them out first :)

• earlearl Member

I've been with interenet.bs for over a year now and no calls from telemarketers yet..

• IshaqIshaq Member

I have a gut feeling it's register.com

InternetBS haven't done this before.

• CoreyCorey Member

@Ishaq said: I have a gut feeling it's register.com

InternetBS haven't done this before.

They might claim that the 'company' that is calling you is just their 'sub' company.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

register.com

look at their privacy policy, I lost count of how many times I read "shared with third parties."

So yeah... that's going to happen.

• NickMNickM Member

I just double checked their privacy policies, it looks like register.com is the culprit here, and they even say that they do it. Not cool.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I counted.... 26 times in lots of contexts.

• CoreyCorey Member

@NickM said: I just double checked their privacy policies, it looks like register.com is the culprit here, and they even say that they do it. Not cool.

Whelp that sucks..... never wanted to get anything with them anyway... I like name.com too much.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

I have not had any calls as a result from getting service with Internetbs, and from what I know about them, selling data would not at all be in line with how they do things. On the other hand, with what I know about register.com, I'd say it's very likely that they are the culprit.

• I've used IBS for years, never a problem. I registered a few domains through register.com a few weeks ago . . . instant spam fest shortly after.

You make the call.

• Rule #1 to registration: Give them non-real VOIP number that terminates to a non used phone under your control.

Rule #2 --- Do the same / similar for address info.

I love some of the bogus honeypotted info I've created over the years. Big market selling data on people, names, addresses, prior addresses, etc. I am a doctor, a priest and all sorts of things according to the scum advertising industry and the whores that buy the data. :) Sadly, this has been going on since the early 1990s.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I didn't see the phrase "whois privacy" in your post. To say that companies monitor new domain registration and try to market to you is an understatement.

• @pubcrawler said: I love some of the bogus honeypotted info I've created over the years. Big market selling data on people, names, addresses, prior addresses, etc. I am a doctor, a priest and all sorts of things according to the scum advertising industry and the whores that buy the data. :) Sadly, this has been going on since the early 1990s.

Like using random names, virtual debit cards, random addresses and prepaid or VOIP free phone numbers? :P (that's what I do sometimes)

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited March 2013

I'd like to figure out which company did this so that I know not to do any further business with them.

Register.com is owned by Web.com Group. You should try to avoid all of Web.com's brands because anything they touch becomes a cesspool of sleazy marketing tactics soon after they acquire it. http://www.web.com/aboutus/brands.aspx

• @DomainBop said: Register.com is owned by Web.com Group. You should try to avoid all of Web.com's brands because anything they touch becomes a cesspool of sleazy marketing tactics soon after they acquire it.

Never knew they owned both Network Solutions and Register.com.

• cough Did you have private whois enabled?

• @raindog308 said "Controversy_over_domain_name_front_running"

Name.com is still using the searchbox on their name.com and who.is sites to engage in domain front running, and domain tasting. They've also been accused of DNS hijacking.

_DNS Hijacking

Reports of DNS hijacking by Name.com have appeared on the Internet as early as 2010.[10] The registrar will never return a NXDOMAIN status for DNS queries, and instead directs users to an advertising site they operate. When faced with criticism over this practice, the company points[11] to clause of their Domain Registration agreement that relates to "parked domain names"._
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name.com

• PieEater, "cough Did you have private whois enabled?"

Whois isn't going to save you from the "we sell your info t make mo' money" savages.

That WhoIs save you from the web scab scrapers and their third party STDs.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited March 2013

@pubcrawler said: Whois isn't going to save you from the "we sell your info t make mo' money" savages.

Right but if the accusation is that you registered a domain and received phone calls therefore the registrar must be selling information, it doesn't hold much weight if the info is public. Selling a public whois is about as useful as selling google search results. If someone asked to buy something from me that's already public, man I'd hop on that train fast ;)

• You can never trust any one in web business 100%. I deal with this constantly and learned it early on. This is not to say I do not appreciate my clients.

But you really never can say what some one is doing with technology. Any thing can and does happen nowadays. Always have to have ways of monitoring the things you pay for, after all In the end you're really Just looking out for your money And yourself.

• if the accusation is that you registered a domain and received phone calls therefore the registrar must be selling information, it doesn't hold much weight if the info is public.

Damn @jarland true.

Usually these savages are directly selling the info. Lots of limitations in many years past to regulate us normals from "harvesting" the free info corn.

Most registrars beyond the limits on requests do have use limitations on end users...

• othelloRobothelloRob Member, Host Rep

@pubcrawler
    Rule #1 to registration:
    Give them non-real VOIP number that terminates to a non used phone under your control.

Telephone Verification for domain registration is likely to become a mandatory step shortly, so giving a non-working phone number will mean you lose the domain.

The only way to protect yourself (currently) properly, is to be "picky" about which registrar you use (i.e. select one that doesnt share the data) and take the whoisidprotection service so your information (for now, although that might be changing too) is not made public.

Using fake data is very definitely NOT-ADVISED although lots of registrants do.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

Maybe register.com sell your information but anyone can get your details from your domain whois info?(if not protected)

• and thats why i always use fake numbers...

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2013

@dedicados said: and thats why i always use fake numbers...

Never use fake number/details otherwise ICANN can cancel your domain(They will hold your domain for 5 to @infinity years)