Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to block lowend ads and Google spying on your activity - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to block lowend ads and Google spying on your activity

2»

Comments

• CoreyCorey Member

@pubcrawler said: Google is no more spying on your activity than your ISP is, or any number of networks you traverse each day. It's an idiotic concept. But I guess if you're paranoid or stupid, this thread might have an appeal.

Google is spying nearly more than any company. To claim otherwise is lying.

The only company that may have more information on you is your ISP. But even that, today is disputable. Plus, I have to ask who your ISP is and does their business model exist for that business model. Google's business model is entirely about all knowing data slurping monitoring.

Google's crap is infesting nearly every website. How many lazy/stupid/whatever website owners are using Google Analytics? Google's Ads? Javascript included functions served from Google? YouTube embeds? I mean it's nearly impossible to find any site that isn't slamming the user multiple times per page into Google.

Yes, because every lazy stupid webmaster should be writing their own fully fledged visitor tracking system.

• ^ Corey... At least they should be doing something. Visitor tracking systems aren't rocket science and plenty of free/open source/low cost solutions out there.

Google has become to me, what all the page glitter apps, midi files, etc. embedded in MySpace and predecessor papges were in the past. Just piles of useless filler that churn the CPU, cause browser oddness and siphon now often expensive mobile bandwidth.

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited March 2013

@pubcrawler said: ^ Corey... At least they should be doing something. Visitor tracking systems aren't rocket science and plenty of free/open source/low cost solutions out there.

Google has become to me, what all the page glitter apps, midi files, etc. embedded in MySpace and predecessor papges were in the past. Just piles of useless filler that churn the CPU, cause browser oddness and siphon now often expensive mobile bandwidth.

Right, google analytics is one of those free low cost solutions.... that integrates with the google SERPS that have over 60% market share. No brainer for an internet marketer.

If you are browsing the web so much that 18KB on a page load is affecting your bandwidth usage so much.... you might be a redneck :)

• you are browsing the web so much that 18KB on a page load is affecting your bandwidth usage so much.... you might be a redneck :)

Depends. It's 18KB here, whatever over there... The DNS lookups... Everything is slow and eats at the expensive caps. Considering how many newbs are nearly cellular-only, it matters.

Redneck, ahh yeah, hee haw. Pass me some of the apple 'shine.

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

Well, I like his idea, clean and effective, can be useful some situation where you are really low on bandwidth..
    I remember a remote area where I had only access to internet through cellular line (only GPRS and that too on Ist floor) .. !

• ^ GOOD EXAMPLE.

Applies all over though. Imagine the collective amplified effect. How about a university with 10K students on the network... How much is getting chewed up on idle computers doing whatever with javascript in the background, page refreshes, etc. Surely serving up logging, tracking and ads too.

Blocks like these should be absolutely common and more folks blocking further upstream from the end user. But with some of the services, will cause breakage of other offerings. Ahh Google doing this more and using one domain for slew of services underneath. Doing that with javascript to get around ad blockers underneath.

• CoreyCorey Member

@pubcrawler said: ^ GOOD EXAMPLE.

Applies all over though. Imagine the collective amplified effect. How about a university with 10K students on the network... How much is getting chewed up on idle computers doing whatever with javascript in the background, page refreshes, etc. Surely serving up logging, tracking and ads too.

Blocks like these should be absolutely common and more folks blocking further upstream from the end user. But with some of the services, will cause breakage of other offerings. Ahh Google doing this more and using one domain for slew of services underneath. Doing that with javascript to get around ad blockers underneath.

When I move and don't have internet (like right now) I connect with my cellular device...... but the big bandwidth eating portion is me watching hulu or listening to music.... I then order more bandwidth when I hit my cap...

• @Corey, ouchie. How much are you BW increments and what are they giving you? Seems intolerable the cellular plans these days... Wrong direction on pricing.

• LeoLeo Member

I use Ghostery to block all kind of embedded trackers and tracking cookies. It has a impressive list of trackers that it block.

And then a dash of NoScript to keep the rest of the javascripts away.

• @Corey said: Those webmasters need to go back to school

Agreed. I would never put it public But..big name sites. And web masters that seem to like to just watch the clock.

• KeithKeith Member

Trying this out, I've changed 127.0.0.1 to 127.0.0.10 which doesn't exist.
    Should stop the load on the nginx server also running on the computer.

• @Keith said: load on the nginx server

If that isn't production, Is it development? Local? Tell me you haven't coded or hosted with live metrics in a Dev or Staging environment :x ..

• KeithKeith Member

@natestamm Local nginx server on my desktop.

• @Leo, +1 for Ghostery... and Opera... and NoScript.. unsure what browser development is limited to these days.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Cirium said: You'll never see an ad on a page again.

thx!

• @raindog308 said: @natestamm said: And improperly configured

:P