Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rootnerds.com - opinions please
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Rootnerds.com - opinions please

Hello
Is there anyone who use https://rootnerds.com/ if so, can anyone recommend it? I need that VPS only for a month or 2, but if it will be OK I will stay with them for longer... Also. due to the fact that you (excellend LowendTalk community) helped me a lot of with findind a very good offers if they has affiliate program and anyone has an referral link please send it to me and I will gladly support you by ordering the server from that link.

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

They don't really have much of a presence here, they just post an advert every now and then and that is about it, originally it was a failing German company, I believe they were later bought by an Indian company who seems to have been doing better.

• Thank you - so maybe other offers? my needs is: 100 - 200 GB HDD, 2 - 4 GB ram, price $5 / mionth 1x IPV4, it could be openvz, I need that server because I want to migrate from DA to cpanel and to do that, I have to move my DirectAdmin + all accounts from my current box to temporary location, then re-format my main server and configure cpanel on it, then migrate my accounts from DA to cpanel and because I will do that in my spare time and cpanel is totally new thing to me I will need that VPS for month or 2. I normally prefer UE locations but due to the short period for that server it can be USA also, if price would be better.

marson said: 100 - 200 GB HDD, 2 - 4 GB ram, price $5 / mionth 1x IPV4

Just pick any host you want that is offering that price, they will all be shite at that budget anyway so it really does not matter.

Thanked by 2Aidan quick
  • leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

@AnthonySmith said:
    They don't really have much of a presence here, they just post an advert every now and then and that is about it, originally it was a failing German company, I believe they were later bought by an Indian company who seems to have been doing better.

I know the Indian owner personally, lives in my city and we do a lot of business together. He has turned around rootnerds and is moving all legacy setups to new servers with non desktop CPUs and proper raid etc. At that price, most companies may be fly by night operations, but rootnerds and the owner - Hostroyale have been in business for 3+ years now.

leapswitch said: I know the Indian owner personally, lives in my city and we do a lot of business together. He has turned around rootnerds and is moving all legacy setups to new servers with non desktop CPUs and proper raid etc. At that price, most companies may be fly by night operations, but rootnerds and the owner - Hostroyale have been in business for 3+ years now.

Yep, rootnerds were garbage when they were owned by ideal hosting who were just resellers for the most part anyway.

Like I said it seems to have improved, but at those prices, I don't care if you have been in business 25 years, you're not making good long-term decisions.. source: burstnet.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited September 2017

AnthonySmith said: Yep, rootnerds were garbage when they were owned by ideal hosting who were just resellers for the most part anyway.

Like I said it seems to have improved, but at those prices, I don't care if you have been in business 25 years, you're not making good long-term decisions.. source: burstnet.

I am usually reserved in giving reviews to hosts here because my experience could be 100% different than the next person, but...

Honestly, Rootnerds is one of the very few and long standing OpenVZ servers I actually use (and I really don't keep OpenVZ services anymore, I just have a few that have been held over because they have proven reliable over the years) and has been surprisingly super stable. I will admit I don't use a lot of CPU/IO often so maybe I am not fully aware of the conditions of the node for those use cases, but for me I can confidently say its has been one of the most stable servers/services I have had to date and I have had it since Rootnerds was owned by Ideal Hosting. Actually, the packages they offered back then I think were way better than their current ones (the ratio of resources provided was better, lower HD space but more bandwidth and CPU), but I guess change is to be expected. I haven't used their 'new line' of services since Hostroyale took over, but if they are anywhere near as stable as my current server, I don't have any issue suggesting them, especially for the temporary usage @marson is suggesting.

my 2 cents.

Cheers

• RootNerdsRootNerds Member, Host Rep

@leapswitch said:

Thanks a lot for the kind words.

Yes, at these prices its quite impossible to even break even, but we make money from people who use our stable service and then request for custom high resource plans and also a lot of our customers do shift to our dedicated server offerings, and that is where we make money. We provide a stable and honest service, and are by no means fly by night.>

@TheLinuxBug said:
    Hello, We havent moved old VM's from the legacy hardware, but over the past 1+ year, we have been gradually provisioning servers with top of the class configurations and the prices have also been kept same. The most important thing, that is customer support has been improved and I am sure a lot of our customers are happy because of it.

Though we haven't had any positive reviews, but on the other side, we havent had a single bad review since @hostroyale took over @rootnerds last year.

As for the OP, I advise him to go ahead and experience our service on the dual hex core node with 8 x 1TB SSD's at super cheap rates.

edited September 2017

RootNerds said: dual hex core node with 8 x 1TB SSD's at super cheap rates.

Fair one, perhaps hardware is cheaper in India, not sure how you provide 200GB of SSD and 4GB RAM for $5 on a server that would cost around $5000 minimum if you bought the chassis second hand but I really don't mind being proven wrong :)

Might sign up myself and take a look.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@AnthonySmith said:

RootNerds said: dual hex core node with 8 x 1TB SSD's at super cheap rates.

Fair one, perhaps hardware is cheaper in India, not sure how you provide 200GB of SSD and 4GB RAM for $5 on a server that would cost around $5000 minimum if you bought the chassis second hand but I really don't mind being proven wrong :)

Might sign up myself and take a look.

I don't see SSD VPS anywhere on their site, do you? Am I blind or just reading the wrong pages.

• leapswitch said: Hostroyale have been in business for 3+ years now.

They must have been too busy to notice this page is broken. https://www.hostroyale.com/hosting/shared-web-hosting/ ...

edited September 2017

MikeA said: I don't see SSD VPS anywhere on their site, do you? Am I blind or just reading the wrong pages.

RootNerds said: I advise him to go ahead and experience our service on the dual hex core node with 8 x 1TB SSD's

You just did not read the owners response I guess or your just backing me up on how unsustainable that seems? I cant tell which one it is.

I suppose in all fairness with 8 x SSD's in raid 10 for example on OpenVZ you can practically sell SSD space as ram.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@AnthonySmith said:

MikeA said: I don't see SSD VPS anywhere on their site, do you? Am I blind or just reading the wrong pages.

RootNerds said: I advise him to go ahead and experience our service on the dual hex core node with 8 x 1TB SSD's

You just did not read the owners response I guess or your just backing me up on how unsustainable that seems? I cant tell which one it is.

I suppose in all fairness with 8 x SSD's in raid 10 for example on OpenVZ you can practically sell SSD space as ram.

no, their response here seems like a typo, because their site states nowhere 200GB+ SSD or SSD at all.

For now, we only have three such nodes, and the rest of the nodes are old ones. We havent started advertising yet because we are still in the phase of fixing all the problems.

And you are right the new nodes cost a lot, in fact the ones we are setting up cost us around 6.5k Euros one time.>

@MikeA

As I said above, we are not really advertising that yet. But you can order one and see for yourself. >

@ricardo said:
    We do not sell shared web hosting, that page has been created by the developer in case we do start selling it. Nor do we advertise that we sell shared web hosting.

We have only 3 such nodes for now, and I want to move out all the legacy hardware before we start advertising that all the nodes are SSD.>

@MikeA said:

Again, if you want, you can just order and see for yourself. As stated above, we are not offering that yet as a advertised service.

We are registered in India, but the Open VZ nodes that we have run in Accelerated IT DC in Frankfurt.

• marsonmarson Member
    edited September 2017

Hello

I bought 2 VPS from RootNerds, VPS M and VPS XL. Here is a benchmark from the XL one:

System Info
            -----------
            Processor       : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 v4 @ 2.10GHz
            CPU Cores       : 2
            Frequency       : 2099.918 MHz
            Memory          : 3072 MB
            Swap            : 0 MB
            Uptime          : 43 min,

OS              : CentOS release 6.9 (Final)
            Arch            : x86_64 (64 Bit)
            Kernel          : 2.6.32-042stab123.9
            Hostname        : xxxxxxxx

Speedtest (IPv4 only)
            ---------------------
            Your public IPv4 is 84.200.xxx.xxx

Location                Provider        Speed
            CDN                     Cachefly        111MB/s

Atlanta, GA, US         Coloat          19.8MB/s
            Dallas, TX, US          Softlayer       17.7MB/s
            Seattle, WA, US         Softlayer       15.2MB/s
            San Jose, CA, US        Softlayer       14.7MB/s