Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Linux filesystem size decreasing on its own - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Linux filesystem size decreasing on its own

2»

Comments

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited September 2017

@VPSlices said:

@Janevski said:
    Overselling is bullshit, marketing too.

I want to be offered 1MB at a price of 1$ per month pay the 1$ and use the 1MB for up to one month according to my needs. As simple as that. I don't need fake 999999999999MB and i won't pay with fake dollars.

But that's your preference, innit? It's simple, if you don't want cheap oversold bullshit stuff, no one is forcing you to buy it, go for dedicated servers.

That's not my preference, if i have already clearly stated it, why would you even think of that? I just found it engraved in stone while digging in my backyard and decided to merely enforce it at all costs. I am mortified, how can you even think that of me?

I strive towards no bullshit deals for everything. I don't care if it's a light bulb or potato.

• @Janevski said:
    I strive towards no bullshit deals for everything. I don't care if it's a light bulb or potato.

Is that dedicated, or a virtual spud?

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • @WSS said:

@Janevski said:

Is that dedicated, or a virtual spud?

It's Potatoron 9000.

Thanked by 1karjaj
  • Standard VGA and PS/2 ports in 2017? #LowEndSpud

• PS2 is god. Love old keyboards

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • raindog308 said: Really, a customer has the right to use what he pays for. The fact that a provider is juggling underneath to eke out a profit is 100% on the provider, not the customer. I certainly wouldn't support anything that is abusive but I don't view using resources you've contracted for as even remotely abusive.

Where did I say that a customer do not have the right to use what he pays for? I wrote about fitting a space with dummy content on a storage server, just to fit it. And, without wanting to defend time4vps, I don't think they ever said or wrote that a customer do not have the right to fit his space.
    They did a mistake, letting a node be full and not be proactive adding more space there. But it is a mistake. The same way the server could brake and be offline for a period, until be fixed.
    I have a storage server with them and I use almost 75% of the space (daily backups from other servers). I will not fill the rest of the space, if there is no content I want to put there, just to "grab" all of my space. it is my contribution to a provider that keep the cost low and gives me a good service compared with what I pay for.

raindog308 said: The problem with your argument is that these same providers often have web sites crowing about their enterprise-class service, 24x7 instant support, how they want to "do vps hosting right", etc. They can't have it both ways.

The issue here is not the cheap service or the overselling, but the false advertising that cannot fulfill basic expectations. But there is a responsibility of the client when buying this kind of service and what to expect.

• Janevski said: It's Potatoron 9000.

No HDMI? :(

• WSS said: PS/2 ports

PS/2 keyboards always load in time to access the bios/uefi, can't say the same for all USB keyboards ;-;

• @Aidan said:

WSS said: PS/2 ports

PS/2 keyboards always load in time to access the bios/uefi, can't say the same for all USB keyboards ;-;

I can't say that I've had this problem in the last decade. Even my old PS/2 with USB 1.1 ports and a cheap USB keyboard still loaded fast enough for you to mash F11, delete, F10, because who remembers what the hell the setting was.. :D

But, yeah, this has gone waaay off the rails.

I just need to get some funding and I'll start rebuilding Model M compatibles with current (non-switch) hardware so you don't need funky adapters.

Thanked by 2Aidan Hxxx
  • @jvnadr said:

blackjack4494 said: Just do it. It is your space you have paid for

It is at least discouraging to see such opinions that are clearly showing how low is the knowledge and the perception nowadays...
    Yes, you have paid for, so, you can use it. No one will tell you that you can't. But how much have you paid for? The real cost of the service or a fraction of it? And, don't tell me you don't mind, because you searched for lower price and that's the reason you bought it in the first place. because it was cheaper than others.
    But, how the provider can provide it for less? because he planed the product using some statistics and common practices: what is the average of disk space majority of clients use? Add some 20-30% on top as a safe margin and oversell.
    Many of you, guys, here, are acting like spoiled children that cannot see anything more far than 20cm from their nose...

First of I can completely understand that it is a business model which can work very well. I just wanted to point out that you shouldn't see yourself as an a*s if you just use what you have paid for. The average user won't actually do that (creating virtual disk to fill up space).
    I actually do not own any storage server. I have some free storage on google/microsoft and my own local (external and internal) hard drives with enough space for my personal use.
    Also cheaper and vice versa *expensive do not lead to the fact that something is better or worse. As a client you do not have to think about calculations which should be done by the provider. When the provider can handle it to offer servers for price x and get profit of it then well done. But don't blame the customers if the Provider is not able to calculate the right way. They are responsible for their business. So if they cannot handle a deal they should not offer/post it simple as that. Especially if Providers' main target audience is let users/community you can likely say it is gonna be rough to compete and stay alive.

• @AnthonySmith said:

@blackjack4494 said:

@doghouch said:

If it's a KVM, you could be an a*s by creating a virtual disk that takes up the entire drive :)

You can do that on ovz as well. Just do it. It is your space you have paid for. If you need space delete the disk and create another one with less size. Because why would you be an a*s when you just use what you paid for?

Yup very true, ask for 10 storage servers on the same node and do that.

Obviously you also need to accept that when that sort of thing becomes a culture, OpenVZ starts costing a lot more generally around here and your ultra cheap storage deals go away.

I'm fine with that, I am tired of being asked to provide 100GB disk space for a peanut, not plural.

Yes so true. I like your way of thinking. It is not always the price which matters. If the company builds up a good reputation and can deliver quality service I would pay more for that instead of going for cheap solutions especially if the service you use is important for you e.g. you won't use a production server from a new low-end provider (well you shouldn't hopefully) and end up with the provider getting bankrupt or other struggles with the service.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited September 2017

jvnadr said: It is at least discouraging to see such opinions that are clearly showing how low is the knowledge and the perception nowadays...

Yes, you have paid for, so, you can use it. No one will tell you that you can't. But how much have you paid for?

Exactly for how much it says on my product data page, what kind of dumb question is that?

If it says 1TB i paid for 1TB space, regardless if this costs the host 3$ instead of my paid 1$. This is also not my opinion on it - this is law.

jvnadr said: As @AnthonySmith said, if all clients were like you (that encourage others to grab all the space with garbage, just to lock it on the hard drive), then, the statistics will fail, the plan will be no profitable and soon enough will withdrawn by the provider. Who wins?

Arguably: the law. The plan was offered on fake promises in such a case, as simple as that. The host should be very happy then to not get sued, rather than whine about loosing customers on a by design not profitable product.

Thanked by 2Bogdacutuu rm_
  • @William said: jvnadr said: As @AnthonySmith said, if all clients were like you (that encourage others to grab all the space with garbage, just to lock it on the hard drive), then, the statistics will fail, the plan will be no profitable and soon enough will withdrawn by the provider. Who wins?

Arguably: the law. The plan was offered on fake promises in such a case, as simple as that. The host should be very happy then to not get sued, rather than whine about loosing customers on a by design not profitable product.

I'm not sure that @jvnadr would really disagree with you about this, but I'll just add my two cents: if every customer who bought a storage VPS decided to create a virtual disk to exhaust any free storage space that they paid for, then prices for storage VPSes would rise significantly (and quickly).

So it's not a question of what the customer has the legal right to do (yes, the customer has the right to all of the storage that he/she paid for), but it's more about whether the customer keeps in mind the reality of the economics of (especially low-end) storage VPSes and therefore decides (in order to help to keep prices attractive) not to fill up his/her storage space gratuitously with a virtual disk. In short, the customer should (for the common good of lower prices) try not to behave like a d*ck.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

angstrom said: I'm not sure that @jvnadr would really disagree with you about this, but I'll just add my two cents: if every customer who bought a storage VPS decided to create a virtual disk to exhaust any free storage space that they paid for, then prices for storage VPSes would rise significantly (and quickly).

Users aren't even doing that and they're on extremely oversold nodes.

You'll continue to see these issues come up, even on nodes that are currently 'safe'. People will start to feel that things are running well without issue, so they'll start to load it up and people are back down this gong show again.

The only safe way to do storage is on preallocated volumes, not thin provisioned or things like that. Users have already been through at least one never-ending-FSCK and one of these days these nodes will need to reboot due to a kernel panic, security updates, power loss, or whatever, and there's a high chance it'll never end either.

I'm hoping that in reality this service is just being used by people that wanted their nth backup node in a chain of other backup nodes, or running torrents or similar.

Anyone using these plans for production usage are asking for a clusterfuck of LET proportions.

Francisco

• angstrom said: In short, the customer should (for the common good of lower prices) try not to behave like a d*ck.

so the customer who wants to use the space he paid for is a dick, but the provider who is not giving customers what they paid for is a saint, because they are asking for less money than other providers who don't pull this kind of bullshit?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited September 2017

@Bogdacutuu said:

angstrom said: In short, the customer should (for the common good of lower prices) try not to behave like a d*ck.

so the customer who wants to use the space he paid for is a dick, but the provider who is not giving customers what they paid for is a saint, because they are asking for less money than other providers who don't pull this kind of bullshit?

Up until recently the host in question got away with pretty well everything. They were complete animals to users with legitimate issues. He posted their information, their connecting IP addresses, and made GVH seem like a stand up host.

This had been going on for many months with them getting away with things because he speaks somewhat broken english and he gives a lot of crazy deals.

A lot of other hosts have been flayed for far less.

Francisco

Thanked by 1sibaper
  • @Bogdacutuu said:

angstrom said: In short, the customer should (for the common good of lower prices) try not to behave like a d*ck.

Your conclusion doesn't follow from what I said.

The conclusion that one might draw from what I said is that a customer who creates a virtual disk just for the sake of filling any remaining space on his/her low-end storage VPS is behaving like a d*ck. ("Low-end" is crucial here. On a high-end storage VPS that the customer pays a premium price for, then storing a virtual disk is just plain silly.)

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited September 2017

@Francisco said: angstrom said: I'm not sure that @jvnadr would really disagree with you about this, but I'll just add my two cents: if every customer who bought a storage VPS decided to create a virtual disk to exhaust any free storage space that they paid for, then prices for storage VPSes would rise significantly (and quickly).

Users aren't even doing that and they're on extremely oversold nodes.

Yes, fair enough, I wasn't addressing the provider's behavior, but naturally, a provider of low-end storage VPSes shouldn't behave like a d*ck either, and this would mean not overselling beyond degree _d_, where the value of _d_ is established on the basis of generally accepted factors. (I assume that a provider generally knows when he/she is overselling to an extreme degree.)

• @Francisco said: Up until recently the host in question got away with pretty well everything. [...]

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but was "the host in question" ever revealed in this thread? (Everyone likes to speculate, but ...)