Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Caddy webserver goes south
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Caddy webserver goes south

https://caddyserver.com/blog/accouncing-caddy-commercial-licenses.html

Caddy-Sponsors HTTP Header

As of version 0.10.9, Caddy emits an HTTP response header, Caddy-Sponsors, which is similar to the Server header that Caddy already has, except that this one credits our sponsors who make it possible to keep Caddy free for personal use. This header cannot be removed by the Caddyfile, and its presence is required by the non-commercial EULA. This requirement is waived by the commercial license, so the header is not present in those binaries.

nginx still there for you :)

Thanked by 2rm_ Chronic

Comments

• Any interest I once had in this project is pretty much nullified. The fact they want $100 for 2 users, welp.. Interestingly enough, they're claiming this EULA/etc is only for binaries, and that the project itself is still under the Apache license.

Wonder how long it'll be before it gets yanked from prebuilt distribution archives. Actually- does anyone bundle Caddy?

• I saw that too, TBH alot of "open source" company have been doing that, they start off open source and free and end up making a pretty decent software then BAM they do stuff like this, mongoose web server did something similar although not as expensive as caddy lol.

TBH there is a market for this and since they basically did not make much money when they were purely open source can you honestly blame them for wanting to switch but then there is the problem of people who submitted to the project and got ziltch.

I wish everything was open and free but that is not the world we live in, you need to make profit to succeed. Personally I can understand when someone makes this choice but I also see why this can be considered messed up.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

1 text response header that no user will see...

Clearly devastating :P

Thanked by 2vimalware Hxxx
  • RhysRhys Member, Host Rep

https://github.com/WedgeServer/wedge/issues/2

Rip another decent open source project.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • WSSWSS Member
    edited September 2017

@jarland said:

You forgot that the devs and people related to the project are assholes. Being that "Caddy" was well known as an automobile before YAFW (yet another freakin webserver) existed, I'd like for GM to say "Time for you to rename your shit" in response.

@Rhys said:
    https://github.com/WedgeServer/wedge/issues/2

Rip another decent open source project.

Edit: Hah. You saw that too, huh?

Thanked by 1Rhys
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2017

WSS said: You forgot that the devs and people related to the project are assholes

Right, one should take no part in providing friendly notice about pending trademark violation. Not everyone wants to spend their time doing something that doesn't put food on the table, you know. The notion that this makes them an asshole would actually make you an asshole if you suggested it ;)

Thanked by 1J1021
  • This is an asshole comment

I get needing to find funding, the project I'm on takes 60 hours a week to handle, and the amount I get is $100USD or so. But I wouldn't go on Twitter and pop off on the users and potential users to say "You're all cheap so screw you."

Thanked by 4WSS Rhys Aidan fan
  • As much as I love Caddy there's no way I'll be paying that kind of money for it. Currently running it on a couple of servers and I'd rather switch back to nginx than paying over $250/month.

I can understand they need to make some money but their pricing is ridiculous.

Thanked by 2WSS Rhys
  • WSSWSS Member
    edited September 2017

@jarland said:
    Right, one should take no part in providing friendly notice about pending trademark violation. Not everyone wants to spend their time doing something that doesn't put food on the table, you know. The notion that this makes them an asshole would actually make you an asshole if you suggested it ;)

The guy forked a Github Project, and guess what the default name it takes when forking. If they wanted to try to copyright "Caddy", I'd certainly hope someone would contest it as the term has been in use for much longer than the YAFW project.

The way the initial person was acting to some random guy on the same platform for daring to fork the project and not rename it, then piled on by the subsequent douches- I know how I'd handle it. I'd stop committing to the project. Some people just don't deserve to get free OSS development for their software that they are making money from. :)

Obviously, it annoyed this guy enough to decide to make "Wedge" and remove the sponsor headers. It did not appear that Wedge was initially existing just to annoy the Caddy guys.

Thanked by 5Rhys MikeA netomx iKeyZ dnom
  • RhysRhys Member, Host Rep

@WSS said:

@jarland said:

The guy forked a Github Project, and guess what the default name it takes when forking. If they wanted to try to copyright "Caddy", I'd certainly hope someone would contest it as the term has been in use for much longer than the YAFW project.

The way the initial person was acting to some random guy on the same platform for daring to fork the project and not rename it, then piled on by the subsequent douches- I know how I'd handle it. I'd stop committing to the project. Some people just don't deserve to get free OSS development for their software that they are making money from. :)

Good thing Github's terms of service cover this instance so Caddy is in the wrong. Seems Matt also want's be a knob on twitter:

[1]

Thanked by 1netomx
  • WSSWSS Member
    edited September 2017

Yep. GitHub exists specifically to address a simple ability to fork/et al. Matt is just a dickhead.

Here's a response from Matt regrading some items that were on GitHub that were used for building Caddy:

Just note that those repositories were never licensed for external use, not even under an OSS license. We close sourced the repos because they were only used as internal Caddy infrastructure, not anything else. (I am the only person who uses the releaser.) The maintenance burden is lower to close the source on these ancillary repos.

So, now he's trying to go back against GitHub's terms of service again, and is claiming that these support tools should not be used- when he's the one who comitted them.

Dick. Head.

• edited September 2017

Wow, minimum license for 2 users/instances (dev boxes count as instances) is $100/mo billed annually. (Introductory, so buy now before it goes up!) https://caddyserver.com/pricing

if you have 2 instances of Caddy in production and 3 web developers using Caddy locally to build your website, that's 5 instances.

• A fully comped out HTTP(s|2) server is a huge project. Nginx has it covered, a bit like libcurl has HTTP(s|2) and all manner of other protocols well-covered.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • WSSWSS Member
    edited September 2017

You guys are aware that you can just enable mod_http2 in Apache, right? :D

Thanked by 1netomx
  • IonSwitch_StanIonSwitch_Stan Member, Host Rep

1/4 price of comparable servers

What do they consider comparable?

• @IonSwitch_Stan said:

Hard to say.. I don't know of any other webservers written in go.

• @IonSwitch_Stan said:

litespeed maybe?

• Very sad about this. The binary distribution is now either adware or commercial. The build process, especially with all the plugins, is not entirely trivial. RIP.

• sinsin Member
    edited September 2017

WSS said: Dick. Head.

I just read some of his tweets...he comes off as a complete douche.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

While everyone takes up the issue with HTTP headers, this is a bigger deal:

Wedge was created following the announcement that sponsor headers would be added to HTTP responses, and official binaries would no longer be able to be used for commercial purposes.

This is no longer free software, and doesn't even qualify as open source anymore.

• @WSS said:

@jarland said:

I'd like for GM to say "Time for you to rename your shit" in response.

There btw also is a VW Caddy Transporter.

Not that it matters, because trademarks are generally only really interesting if youre in the same business. Web servers and cars arent. You might remember Apple Records and Apple Inc. The former sued the latter, but it was ruled they werent in the same business as one was in music and the other technology.

Thanked by 2WSS netomx
  • Very sad to see Caddy server go down. No longer having a Free license is a deal breaker.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

lol, RIP.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • I'd have less trouble getting approval to spend $12500/yr on 5 Nginx Plus licenses than $3000/yr on Caddy.

Thanked by 2ehab elwebmaster
  • I always thought Caddy was a project of some guy with too much free time who wanted an idiot proof way to deploy a webserver with a let's encrypt certificate out of the box.

Thanked by 2ehab Chronic
  • jiggawattjiggawatt Member
    edited September 2017

rm_ said: This is no longer free software, and doesn't even qualify as open source anymore.

The code in the git repository is licensed under the Apache License 2.0 which is most certainly a free software license. There is nothing stopping Individuals from forking this project and continuing.

Tion said: I always thought Caddy was a project of some guy with too much free time who wanted an idiot proof way to deploy a webserver with a let's encrypt certificate out of the box.

Sure - then he graduated. Time to get a fucking job. With a paycheck.

Thanked by 4ehab Hxxx sarah default
  • HxxxHxxx Member
    edited September 2017

It is what it is.. No dono? No problem it will be commercialized.

Edit: So it is 100/mo for 2 caddy server instances, not two users. That wording needs some work.

• @jarland said:

WSS said: You forgot that the devs and people related to the project are assholes

There was no reason to do so, it was a false violation and is completely fine to do under GitHub;

https://github.com/WedgeServer/wedge/issues/2#issuecomment-329336643

• @rm_ said:

Wedge was created following the announcement that sponsor headers would be added to HTTP responses, and official binaries would no longer be able to be used for commercial purposes.

Note that this is for the "official binaries" only. This isn't horribly uncommon. Theo de Raadt used to refuse to release ISO images because people wouldn't pay $20 for a CD twice a year.. and the BSD license is a lot less restrictive than any GPL ever created.

When I saw that, and his attempted attack on someone who wanted to rebuild his own binaries, though, I knew precisely where he was intending to go.

The fact that he still hosts these "official binaries" on GitHub under a public license- I wonder just how difficult it would be to bundle them with a hex editor of your choice and change the header if you decide to do so. This would be a direct violation of his new EULA, but being that it's still being offered publicly on GitHub, he's already shown that he doesn't follow others' rules or restrictions.

@jiggawattz said:
    The code in the git repository is licensed under the Apache License 2.0 which is most certainly a free software license. There is nothing stopping Individuals from forking this project and continuing.

He's already begun removing tools and making things private that he considers not to be part of the project. This is how it begins. Apple had almost completely opensourced Darwin at one point, and then closed it up tighter than a Mormon seeing the golden tablets of Jedediah Smith in their minds' eye. With several of these license terms, all they have to return is how they hooked X into Y, rather than any major changes.

See also: KDE's KHTML (WebKit) rendering engine and Safari, the initial GNU CC based ports for MacOS X (without source availability as it was still "beta"), et al.

The GPL, and indeed, BSD don't protect a project very well if the authors have gone rogue. You're left with whatever the last, least-tained is, for the most part.

Tion said: I always thought Caddy was a project of some guy with too much free time who wanted an idiot proof way to deploy a webserver with a let's encrypt certificate out of the box.

Sure - then he graduated. Time to get a fucking job. With a paycheck.

His Twitter shows that he's still attending school when not being a snarky little fuck on the internet.

Thanked by 3iKeyZ maverickp Chronic