Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just Checking North Hosts a No Show/Dead Pool Before Dispute
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Just Checking North Hosts a No Show/Dead Pool Before Dispute

I had a VPS with North Hosts that ran for about 6 months then disappeared. Yesterday, I found that I had been subscribed in Paypal so it auto renewed. I didn't file a dispute the first time because I figured I got about 6 months use out of a yearly plan. I've filed a ticket that has not had a response so far. I've also contacted the host through paypal. Before I file a dispute with paypal or my CC, has anyone had any luck contacting North Hosts and resolving any problems. I don't see anything on the Forum after June 2017. Thanks.

Comments

• I've 2 VPS and a shared hosting plan. Both are working fine.

Thanked by 1MTUser2012
  • There site is certainly still there. I missed the emails from them, so I had a server expire back in May for failure to pay the 15 quid invoice.

I didn't notice the server disappear because I wasn't using it due to getting narked with them back in August last year.

Thanked by 1MTUser2012
  • It's not possible for them to sign you up for a subscription on Paypal automatically without your approval. Please don't file Paypal disputes for your own failings here. If you don't want it, cancel the subscription yourself: wikihow.com/Cancel-a-PayPal-Subscription

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • North Hosts is a deadpool, they kept hardware of multiple members here on LET and have been a few posts about them not responding to tickets for weeks, possibly months now. In my case, they kept 2 GLC-T adapters which are rather pricey for something to be kept for free and they are now not replying at all.

Thanked by 1MTUser2012
  • @6ixth said:
    have been a few posts about them not responding to tickets for weeks, possibly months now.

That was why I got narked with them. I opened a couple tickets asking about when an image of 16.04 Ubuntu was coming. Was told it was happening. Waited a bit, then asked if there was any news. Ticket got assigned a few times and then was closed. I checked back a month or so later and image still wasn't there, and gave up with it.

Thanked by 1MTUser2012
  • @Damian said:
    It's not possible for them to sign you up for a subscription on Paypal automatically without your approval. Please don't file Paypal disputes for your own failings here.

I read it that the Paypal dispute would be for a service that hasn't been provided for 6 months previously and still isn't being provided after another annual Paypal payment. Nothing to do with it being an unintended payment.

Thanked by 1MTUser2012
  • When you sign up for a hosting plan providers generally send you an invoice. Some providers send it as a one time payment, some as a recurring payment, some give you a choice. If I have a choice, I always do one time payment. North Hosts didn't give me a choice. The problem here belongs to them. I do know how to cancel a recurring payment, and should have done it before it renewed here. It is cancelled now.

I've contacted the host through paypal. If I don't get my money back by Oct 3rd, I'll file a dispute.

@Damian said:
    It's not possible for them to sign you up for a subscription on Paypal automatically without your approval. Please don't file Paypal disputes for your own failings here. If you don't want it, cancel the subscription yourself: wikihow.com/Cancel-a-PayPal-Subscription

Thanked by 1Damian
  • ... maybe not

• Well, I rescind my statement then. I'd also recommend against using a host that forces you into an automatic payment.

Thanked by 1MTUser2012
  • MTUser2012 said: some give you a choice

WHMCS is quite annoying where their 'auto redirect for payment' seems to default to subscriptions rather than a one-off. I cancel anything recurring when I'm not given the choice. There's usually also the "add funds" option.

• @ricardo said:
    WHMCS is quite annoying where their 'auto redirect for payment' seems to default to subscriptions rather than a one-off. I cancel anything recurring when I'm not given the choice. There's usually also the "add funds" option.

It is not WHMCS per se. There is a setting that the host can enable to force subscription, I am sure you know that already.