Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Linux filesystem size decreasing on its own
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Linux filesystem size decreasing on its own

Hey everyone,

I have a storage VPS that seems to be having a somewhat odd issue that I'm hoping you guys can help figure out. This server used to have 1024GB of storage space, however it now seems to be showing only around 130GB of storage space according to "df -h". Even more odd, if I run the command every few minutes, the amount of total storage space seems to fluctuate anywhere between 100-150GB.

Not looking to cause any trouble with the host, more of just looking for some advice for what could be causing this. Thanks!

Comments

• Cold water

Thanked by 2WHT yomero
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Who could have thought that OVZ is shit, and the host that you use is an overselling scam. But hey, don't look to cause any trouble! Because really, who knows what could be causing this...

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

Sounds like your provider has oversold their storage.
    Contact them to put some more disks into their pool and you should be fine.

• Did you try sending a ticket? Looks like @cociu's storage servers, and he's been fixing them through tickets.

tl;dr LET is not ticket system

• phantoms said: phantoms

if you are my client please pm the tiket number. Last week we have move some data and maybe is affecting you. If you are not my client you can resolve this with the host , just open a tiket.

• Oversold storage.. It was already obvious when I saw this thread title.

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • Have had this issue with other reputable providers too on OVZ.

Just ticket in, before LET.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2017

if it is ploop based some ploop based fs can exceed the quota's due to solusvm locking up the containers with hundreds of info requests, they can grow exponentially.

This occurs on CentOS 6 + SolusVM 1.20.01 or lower when using ploop.

I have this as a recurring issue on 2 nodes, Phill confirmed it will be fixed in 1.20.02 though, so that should be a thing of the past soon.

edit: I just noticed from your screenshot, your host is (for some reason) using simfs, its oversold disk.

• Same thing happened me yesterday on a Time4VPS storage VM. They oversold storage and ran out of disk space on the node.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

I mean, everyone is complaining here about overselling, frankly, do you guys expect that host is sponsoring you and selling below cost ? With the price this storage VMs average, they have to oversell to float.

Thanked by 1Frameworks
  • time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

@Steve said:
    Same thing happened me yesterday on a Time4VPS storage VM. They oversold storage and ran out of disk space on the node.

Yup, yesterday we had an issue in one of our storage nodes. But mainly it was because of an human error.

Do not worry, new storage nodes are already at our DC getting setted up.

Thanked by 1Steve
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2017

I have a storage VPS

+

Clouvider said: everyone is complaining here about overselling, frankly, do you guys expect that host is sponsoring you and selling below cost

If you're selling a storage VPS specifically, and then expect people not to use their storage, then you are a scam and a fraud, simple as that. Some overselling may present, but certainly with a very low coefficient, not to the point of when a 1TB VPS shrinks down to 130 GB.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited September 2017

Better use non OVZ/VM for Storage if you depend on it.

Kimsufi had neat deals, 2TB for 8EUR, on a dedicated box.

Thanked by 1rm_

rm_ said: If you're selling a storage VPS specifically, and then expect people not to use their storage, then you are a scam and a fraud, simple as that. Some overselling may present, but certainly with a very low coefficient, not to the point of when a 1TB VPS shrinks down to 130 GB.

You are a very angry man these days, even for you.

• Clouvider said: I mean, everyone is complaining here about overselling, frankly, do you guys expect that host is sponsoring you and selling below cost ? With the price this storage VMs average, they have to oversell to float.

I wasn't complaining, overselling is to be expected. Simply pointing out that was the issue with my VM.

@time4vps Thanks for sorting the problem out, all is good now! Very happy with my VM and have had no other issues within the almost 2 years I've been with you guys.

Thanked by 2time4vps vimalware
  • ucxoucxo Member
    edited September 2017

@Clouvider said:
    I mean, everyone is complaining here about overselling, frankly, do you guys expect that host is sponsoring you and selling below cost ? With the price this storage VMs average, they have to oversell to float.

Overselling is fine, that's one major advantage of using VMs in the first place. There's plenty of providers that manage to oversell and not suck (through careful calculation of usage distributions and monitoring disk usage, I figure).
    This (still unnamed) provider, however…

This is where the wheat splits from the chaff.

Ok, enough metaphors from an ESL speaker.

• @Neoon said:
    Better use non OVZ/VM for Storage if you depend on it.

Kimsufi had neat deals, 2TB for 8EUR, on a dedicated box.

Um... you can oversell KVM space just fine. Flash the HDD with a capacity it doesn't have then claim the node was "hacked" when data gets corrupted :)

doghouch said: Um... you can oversell KVM space just fine. Flash the HDD with a capacity it doesn't have then claim the node was "hacked" when data gets corrupted :)

Or just use thin provisioning on LVM... it has been available since around centos 6.4 ish.

I know a number of LET/B hosts do this, nothing wrong with it and it sure speeds up recovery times if there is an incident.

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

@AnthonySmith said:

doghouch said: Um... you can oversell KVM space just fine. Flash the HDD with a capacity it doesn't have then claim the node was "hacked" when data gets corrupted :)

Or just use thin provisioning on LVM... it has been available since around centos 6.4 ish.

I know a number of LET/B hosts do this, nothing wrong with it and it sure speeds up recovery times if there is an incident.

Worth noting the big caveat of thin provisioning in case a prospective summer host likes this idea: what happens when it actually reaches full.

• @AnthonySmith said:

I'm aware. I said it as a good-spirited joke.

:)

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • Overselling is more than fine, just need a strict monitoring system and when the capacity/mem/cpu reach the limits, provider should add more resources or move some clients to another node.
    If a client observes something abnormal (less disk, memory leak etc.) in his vps, then, he should inform his privider opening a ticket and asking him to resolve the issue.
    Overselling is keeping the prices low. It is at least stupid to ask storage vps with 1TB space for 3$ per month but, then, moaning when we "discover" that the provider is overselling resources to keep the plan viable and profitable.

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • @jvnadr said:
    Overselling is more than fine, just need a strict monitoring system and when the capacity/mem/cpu reach the limits, provider should add more resources or move some clients to another node.
    If a client observes something abnormal (less disk, memory leak etc.) in his vps, then, he should inform his privider opening a ticket and asking him to resolve the issue.
    Overselling is keeping the prices low. It is at least stupid to ask storage vps with 1TB space for 3$ per month but, then, moaning when we "discover" that the provider is overselling resources to keep the plan viable and profitable.

If it's a KVM, you could be an a*s by creating a virtual disk that takes up the entire drive :)

• @doghouch said:

If it's a KVM, you could be an a*s by creating a virtual disk that takes up the entire drive :)

You can do that on ovz as well. Just do it. It is your space you have paid for. If you need space delete the disk and create another one with less size. Because why would you be an a*s when you just use what you paid for?

Thanked by 1rm_
  • @blackjack4494 said:

@doghouch said:

You can do that on ovz as well. Just do it. It is your space you have paid for. If you need space delete the disk and create another one with less size. Because why would you be an a*s when you just use what you paid for?

True :P

@blackjack4494 said:

@doghouch said:

Yup very true, ask for 10 storage servers on the same node and do that.

Obviously you also need to accept that when that sort of thing becomes a culture, OpenVZ starts costing a lot more generally around here and your ultra cheap storage deals go away.

I'm fine with that, I am tired of being asked to provide 100GB disk space for a peanut, not plural.

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • blackjack4494 said: Just do it. It is your space you have paid for

It is at least discouraging to see such opinions that are clearly showing how low is the knowledge and the perception nowadays...
    Yes, you have paid for, so, you can use it. No one will tell you that you can't. But how much have you paid for? The real cost of the service or a fraction of it? And, don't tell me you don't mind, because you searched for lower price and that's the reason you bought it in the first place. because it was cheaper than others.
    But, how the provider can provide it for less? because he planed the product using some statistics and common practices: what is the average of disk space majority of clients use? Add some 20-30% on top as a safe margin and oversell.
    As @AnthonySmith said, if all clients were like you (that encourage others to grab all the space with garbage, just to lock it on the hard drive), then, the statistics will fail, the plan will be no profitable and soon enough will withdrawn by the provider. Who wins? You, that ruined the plan and have to search for a new one, much more expensive? And what do you gain by holding disk space you don't need? Especially when in the majority of the cases, if node's space reach the limit, the provider will add more to continue offer the service?
    Many of you, guys, here, are acting like spoiled children that cannot see anything more far than 20cm from their nose...

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • Locking space with container or garbage may not be a good idea, but IMO overselling should be transparent for end user. Ideally user should never see node running out of space as it may cause issues for user (not enough space for temporary files etc). Provider who regularly allows space to run out should expect users to try locking it for themselves to avoid unpredictable issues.

• Overselling is bullshit, marketing too.

I want to be offered 1MB at a price of 1$ per month pay the 1$ and use the 1MB for up to one month according to my needs. As simple as that. I don't need fake 999999999999MB and i won't pay with fake dollars.

• VPSlicesVPSlices Member
    edited September 2017

@Janevski said:
    Overselling is bullshit, marketing too.

I want to be offered 1MB at a price of 1$ per month pay the 1$ and use the 1MB for up to one month according to my needs. As simple as that. I don't need fake 999999999999MB and i won't pay with fake dollars.

But that's your preference, innit? It's simple, if you don't want cheap oversold bullshit stuff, no one is forcing you to buy it, go for dedicated servers.

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

jvnadr said: the statistics will fail, the plan will be no profitable and soon enough will withdrawn by the provider. Who wins?

LET mods, who don't have to close threads about crappy providers after providers go out of business.

jvnadr said: Many of you, guys, here, are acting like spoiled children that cannot see anything more far than 20cm from their nose...

OK, to be serious...

The problem with your argument is that these same providers often have web sites crowing about their enterprise-class service, 24x7 instant support, how they want to "do vps hosting right", etc. They can't have it both ways.

Let's take time4vps.eu as a random low-end provider. Beside some blonde's ass in jeans(*) on their front page, they say

• "allow us to exceed your expectations: maximum availability, best performance..."

• "resources on demand"

• "By combining affordable, scalable options with enterprise-level technology, we are able to supply our customers with internet address registration, web hosting and VPS services."

• "The advanced service with a modern and powerful NAS technology"

Really, a customer has the right to use what he pays for. The fact that a provider is juggling underneath to eke out a profit is 100% on the provider, not the customer. I certainly wouldn't support anything that is abusive but I don't view using resources you've contracted for as even remotely abusive.

(*) Stop you pervs - it's not worth going and looking at. Though I'm wondering if she's the same blonde here. That's the same page where they say they're "Classy, sassy, and a bit bad assy". I didn't think her ass was _bad_, just not in the running vs. the entire rest of the Internet...