Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rebranding GridHostingSolutions - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Rebranding GridHostingSolutions

Comments

• Good to hear @24khost. 4-5 years is a long time ago in this industry.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2013

@pubcrawler said: no idea why folks aren't offering low end dedicated servers.

It is pretty difficult to go much lower than around $30 to $40 without losing money. Power, bandwidth, rack space, cooling, support staff, network equipment, PDUs, UPSs, maintenance, etc. all cost money.

If it was possible to offer a server for under $15 per month and make money, there would be lots of providers doing it.

• True @qps, but plenty of amply viable, low power and high density gear out there for a song.

I was doing, oh 48 dedicated units in 4-6 U... Probably could do more today.

Of course, there were tradeoffs. Performance wasn't Xeon level ever. Storage options limited.

Those weren't "server" grade units, so if I ever rolled similar thing out for public, I'd make sure data center was short drive away for doing all my own hands on.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2013

@pubcrawler said: True @qps, but plenty of amply viable, low power and high density gear out there for a song.

I was doing, oh 48 dedicated units in 4-6 U... Probably could do more today.

Of course, there were tradeoffs. Performance wasn't Xeon level ever. Storage options limited.

Those weren't "server" grade units, so if I ever rolled similar thing out for public, I'd make sure data center was short drive away for doing all my own hands on.

It might be possible to do something like this, but realistically, how much is someone going to be willing to pay for it when they can get a VPS for about the same price which would likely be more powerful?

• @Jeffrey Why not take a small $50 or so as setup fees, that can/can't be settled with later month payment.
    And increase the monthly payment to some $20 for New atom processor or AMD alternative (if any).
    Slightly more bandwidth.

I think it would be more sustainable.

• The power vs. power is vague at best and often wrong at worst.

With dedicated server resources you can guarantee the baseline of performance and availability of the resources. Any problem therein, is the issue and cause of the purchaser/end user. Not some mysterious / denied / everything is fine when it isn't with many VPS providers.

That's in stark contrast to VPS market which is who knows what doing whatever.

You know how many times I've had to tell providers on here that they are having issues with their server? Cause? Typically? Torrents and Tor.

Shared resources are only as good as the management is and limited by monitoring and being highly proactive to squash things before they become issues.

80% of providers deal with messes after the fact. Part of why I have little restraint in dumping a provider at first sight of such.

• othelloRobothelloRob Member, Host Rep

@Jeffrey ...
    very low-end Dedicated servers for less than $15/Month
    DC is also willing to give me a full rack, with 40 empty units for these bad boys

What does the rack "cost" in terms of DC footprint, power, transit, support etc - if the maximum it can bring in is $600/m ?

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited March 2013

For very small servers you could probably fit 2 servers in 1U or maybe even more.

Still $15 per server doesn't help much for ROI of the hardware and all the other expenses.

• very small servers = way more than 2 per 1U :)

Small is form factor. Not really nothing else so small these days.

ARM based solutions.

• Was considering this. You can fit 8 in 3U. Still not worth $15. Take out payment processing fees and it's worse.

Any remote hands cost would kill any profit.

• Depends @concerto49.

@Damian proposed a model like what I use to do. Think Rapberry Pi's + USB drives.

Wimpy nodes like that with a SAN really could work. Power distribution rails and controls therefore are the problem. Have to be solutions for that out there.

I wouldn't sell such unless I self maintained the "cluster". Hands on would have a fit and be challenged.

• @pubcrawler - I wrote software to deploy RPi's, if you buy them and USB drives then I'm in, haha

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

@Jeffrey said: Intel Celeron 1.7Ghz CPU's

@Jeffrey said: bad boys

I loled.

• TheHackBoxTheHackBox Member
    edited March 2013

I going to be quite honest with you, having multiple businesses and closing each one doesn't make you look too good. What do you offer to make me think this won't disappear again?

• @RobertClarke Aha, right! And @TheHackBox Absolutely nothing, only your judgement. I can't prove GHS will be around 6 months from now, neither can any other host.

• @RobertClarke I Lol'ed when I figured out u were from OmniTechNews and that you knew that little kid with all those servers in LA running it with his dad's money. ;)

• I have gotten into further contact with the datacenter in Florida that I am working with to offer low-end dedicated servers.

They Will most likely have the following specs at these prices:
    Intel Celeron 1.8 - 2.6Ghz
    1GB Ram
    180GB HDD
    250GB Monthly Bandwidth - $20/Month?

512MB Ram
    80GB IDE HDD
    250GB Monthly Bandwidth - $15/Month?

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

@Jeffrey said: @RobertClarke I Lol'ed when I figured out u were from OmniTechNews and that you knew that little kid with all those servers in LA running it with his dad's money. ;)

Trying to bash me when pointing out a flaw with your wording. Very professional.

• @RobertClarke Can't take a joke?

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

FYI, ZPanel is insecure. Not quite sure why you are using it.

• @Jeffrey

They Will most likely have the following specs at these prices:

1GB Ram
    180GB HDD
    250GB Monthly Bandwidth - $20/Month?

512MB Ram
    80GB IDE HDD
    250GB Monthly Bandwidth - $15/Month?

The first one is only worth $15 imo, given the incredible low specs

• Pricing is a tad high. Ratio of BW is not enough on the $20 plan.

I'd haggle where I could to get the price down.

• @pubcrawler said: Ratio of BW is not enough on the $20 plan.

It seems ok to me, perhaps do 8:1 overselling

• Ratio on the $20 plan is nearly 1:1 disk compared to BW. Typically, at least myself, I like to see a 3x ratio on the low side.

$15 plan, yeah that's the ratio 3.x.

• JeffreyJeffrey Member
    edited March 2013

@pubcrawler What if these Celerons were Pentium 4 2.4Ghz instead?

• You know @Jeffrey, I don't think the CPU really matters. Talking about similar "low end" stuff.

The Celerons may or may not help on power and unsure how that totals up and impacts your monthly.

I've been waiting for the $10 dedicated. SOmething with 512MB of RAM, whatever CPU, 200GB+ disk...

Even at your prices there is a market, although I think it is eroding as the dedicated virtualized servers come down in price (i.e. see QPS offer on LEB today).

The bandwidth on the offers when doing feature vs. feature comparison with other stuff is going to come up looking rather short. That's kind of why I pointed to ratio above.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited March 2013

@Jeffrey that's some very aggressive pricing. I wonder how much do they charge for colo?

I mean the specs are not high, but these things burn power, which costs money. $15 is a good offer for power burning box.

• @pubcrawler hmm...I'm thinking about applying a setup fee, then $5-10/Month after the setup fee is charged for. Please note that these low-end servers will be on an empty rack.

• @rds100 The reason why these servers are able to be offered so "cheap" is because the DC is not allowed to put these up for sale, on the website, since they are quite outdated, but suit this "lowend" category very well. These processor units are currently sitting in a closet, not being used. They have offered me a deal where I can get my own rack that can fit 40 units.

• @Jeffrey is this DC close to you and will you handle the installations / repairs / replacements yourself? Since these are quite old machines you should expect to see higher than normal hardware issues and should be ready to spend time working on these issues.