Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I need a dedicated server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I need a dedicated server

6ixth6ixth Member
edited September 2017 in Requests

Hello folks,

I was going to go with Soyoustart but since I am outside of the EU, it is going to take them until Monday to send me the ID document request and I am kind of in a rush. I need the following specs below within the EU (NOT INSIDE OF THE UNITED KINGDOM) for a reasonable price. I am looking to spend a maximum of $41 USD a month.

1Gbps @ 15TB minimum

1-2TB HDD

E3 processor (E5 if ya want).

16GB of ram

5 IP addresses

I'm not expecting premium bandwidth or anything, but I do want at least a minimum guarantee of 250 Mbps at ALL times.

Thanks.

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2017

We can do E3-1270V6, 16 GB DDR4 ECC, 1x 240 GB Enterprise SSD, 1Gbit/s, 20TB BW, 1 IP, max 20 IP. £40 MRC excl. VAT. VAT is added for EU individuals and businesses without VAT Number.

Less than 24h delivery

Extra IP £1/IP/month <-- please ticket for discount for that

Offer valid until 12/09/2017

Use code VGI6RD451MQ for £9 discount.

https://www.clouvider.co.uk/dedicated-and-colocation/dedicated-servers/ to order.

If you have any questions, more than happy to help.

• 6ixth6ixth Member
    edited September 2017

@Clouvider said:
    We can do E3-1270V6, 16 GB DDR4 ECC, 1x 240 GB Enterprise SSD, 1Gbit/s, 20TB BW, £40 MRC excl. VAT

I forgot to include that I want a 2TB HDD in the post, apologies! 40 is also a tad over my budget, 31.05 is my GBP maximum.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Asking for 250Mbit at all times guaranteed must mean dedicated. Not sure how anyone can guarantee 250mbit without it being dedicated, and so the cost would be for 250m it and not 15TB transfer limit.

• @randvegeta said:
    Asking for 250Mbit at all times guaranteed must mean dedicated. Not sure how anyone can guarantee 250mbit without it being dedicated, and so the cost would be for 250m it and not 15TB transfer limit.

Okay then... guaranteed 1gbit!

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Can put 2TB in instead of the SSD, but that's the best price I'm prepared to offer.

@Clouvider said:
    We can do E3-1270V6, 16 GB DDR4 ECC, 1x 240 GB Enterprise SSD, 1Gbit/s, 20TB BW, 1 IP, max 20 IP. £40 MRC excl. VAT

Less than 24h delivery

Extra IP £1/IP/month

That's an excellent price. Any IPMI?

@6ixth said:

@randvegeta said:

1Gbit = 300TB. That's a lot of data transfer.

• 6ixth6ixth Member
    edited September 2017

@randvegeta said:

@6ixth said:

@randvegeta said:

1Gbit = 300TB. That's a lot of data transfer.

No, 1Gbit at a limited 15TB of use, it is simple. I want a guaranteed port speed of 250Mbps at all times, with a maximum of 1Gbps with a bandwidth limitation of 15 terabytes.

• @Clouvider said:
    Can put 2TB in instead of the SSD, but that's the best price I'm prepared to offer.

Thanks for the offer my man but I can't do it, and I've just noticed you are within UK and I want any EU country but the UK (I've modified my post!) Thanks anyways.

6ixth said: No, 1Gbit at a limited 15TB of use, it is simple. I want a guaranteed port speed of 250Mbps at all times, with a maximum of 1Gbps with a bandwidth limitation of 15 terabytes.

I know what you are trying to say here, and no doubt there will be someone (like @Clouvider) who will make you an offer regardless. But I do not see how it would be possible to offer a 250Mbit guarantee without giving you a 250Mbit dedicated (1G burstable) connection.

15TB = 50Mbit average. But if you need 250Mbit guaranteed, you need the host to reserve 5x more bandwidth than you want to pay for. The data transfer you require would therefore be kind of irrelevant if the bandwidth was truly guaranteed.

Lets assume that a host has a 1G uplink. And lets say all servers have a gauranteed minimum 250Mbit connection. There would be a maximum of 4 servers on this uplink. There is no way to guarantee 250Mbit to more than 4 servers at a time.

Most places in Europe, bandwidth is about $1 /mbit or so. But lets assume it cost $0.20, just for arguments sake, because some places get it super cheap. That 1G line would cost at least $200 /month. So that 250Mbit cost at least $50 /month, and that's just for the bandwidth. And it assumes mega cheap bandwidth.

The maths makes much more sense when you consider your 15TB data transfer requirements.

Lets assume that on average, each server uses 15TB. And lets assume that the host is very good and actually undersells bandwidth by 50% (because you can only get 100% utilization if the network is 100% utilized!). So the 15Tb would cost about $20, and can have 10 servers and be UNDERSOLD, and still be able to guarantee 100Mbit to each server no matter what.

In most cases however, bandwidth cost much more, and hosts will oversell since most servers do not use anything close to what they are allocated. And so you could probably get your 250Mbit simply from other clients not being heavy users. But technically it could not be 'guaranteed' .

• @randvegeta said:

6ixth said: No, 1Gbit at a limited 15TB of use, it is simple. I want a guaranteed port speed of 250Mbps at all times, with a maximum of 1Gbps with a bandwidth limitation of 15 terabytes.

I know what you are trying to say here, and no doubt there will be someone (like @Clouvider) who will make you an offer regardless. But I do not see how it would be possible to offer a 250Mbit guarantee without giving you a 250Mbit dedicated (1G burstable) connection.

15TB = 50Mbit average. But if you need 250Mbit guaranteed, you need the host to reserve 5x more bandwidth than you want to pay for. The data transfer you require would therefore be kind of irrelevant if the bandwidth was truly guaranteed.

Lets assume that a host has a 1G uplink. And lets say all servers have a gauranteed minimum 250Mbit connection. There would be a maximum of 4 servers on this uplink. There is no way to guarantee 250Mbit to more than 4 servers at a time.

Most places in Europe, bandwidth is about $1 /mbit or so. But lets assume it cost $0.20, just for arguments sake, because some places get it super cheap. That 1G line would cost at least $200 /month. So that 250Mbit cost at least $50 /month, and that's just for the bandwidth. And it assumes mega cheap bandwidth.

The maths makes much more sense when you consider your 15TB data transfer requirements.

Lets assume that on average, each server uses 15TB. And lets assume that the host is very good and actually undersells bandwidth by 50% (because you can only get 100% utilization if the network is 100% utilized!). So the 15Tb would cost about $20, and can have 10 servers and be UNDERSOLD, and still be able to guarantee 100Mbit to each server no matter what.

In most cases however, bandwidth cost much more, and hosts will oversell since most servers do not use anything close to what they are allocated. And so you could probably get your 250Mbit simply from other clients not being heavy users. But technically it could not be 'guaranteed' .

I cannot believe you just wasted time writing all of that. I want a 1G port with 15 TB of bandwidth, there is nothing more to it.

6ixth said: I cannot believe you just wasted time writing all of that. I want a 1G port with 15 TB of bandwidth, there is nothing more to it.

I'm just saying that 250Mbit guaranteed = 250Mbit dedicated.

A lot of people think it is data transfer that counts towards costs, but from the host perspective, it's about the bandwidth (Mbits!) that cost, and so when you ask for a certain amount of GUARANTEED bandwidth, the amount of data transfer is really not important. As explained above.

But 15TB on 1G is fine :-)