Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a UK-based dedicated server with lots of storage
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a UK-based dedicated server with lots of storage

someperson42someperson42 Member
edited September 2017 in Requests

I'm looking for a dedicated server in the UK with a lot of storage. Here are my basic requirements:

• Pretty much any modern CPU and reasonable amount of RAM is fine.
  • At least 4 TB of storage, but would prefer more. I am willing to purchase my own disks if this is an option.
  • 100 Mbps port would be acceptable, although 1 Gbps would be preferred.
  • At least 10-20 TB of data transfer per month, although unlimited would be preferred.
  • 1 IP address is fine.
  • Looking at the £20-30/month range, not counting any setup costs or VAT. Obviously, lower would be better.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Comments

• @Clouvider allows for own disks :)

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Ympker said:
    @Clouvider allows for own disks :)

Thanks for the mention. :-)!

Yes, we do, albeit we categorically won't go below £40 excl. VAT on this. That's above OP's budget, and OP has an expectation for it to be even cheaper, which effectively limits the options to the basement DCs only.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Clouvider

why are all your prices "excl VAT? surely if most of your clients are non business it's a legal requirement to show including vat. i seem to remember a ASA ruling a few years back.

edited September 2017

@TarZZ92 said:
    @Clouvider

why are all your prices "excl VAT? surely if most of your clients are non business it's a legal requirement to show including vat. i seem to remember a ASA ruling a few years back.

Most of our Clients are businesses and non-UK individuals. As you might have noticed we do supply quite a bit in wholesale to other providers on LET. I'd also invite you to have a read on MOSS rules and tax on Digital Services for EU individuals (local tax rate paid to the government of their country of residence).

Our target is wholesale supply to other hosting providers looking to expand or source their presence in the UK who aim at high quality at reasonable price.
    That's not to stop an individual who wishes to use the service aimed at B2B for their private projects. Our system clearly displays the final price incl. your local VAT rate, if any, before you hit the final order button.

If you're not happy with this transparent practise, than I'm sorry but we won't be a great fit for you.

• @someperson42 said:
    I'm looking for a dedicated server in the UK with a lot of storage. Here are my basic requirements:

• Pretty much any modern CPU and reasonable amount of RAM is fine.
    • At least 4 TB of storage, but would prefer more. I am willing to purchase my own disks if this is an option.
    • 100 Mbps port would be acceptable, although 1 Gbps would be preferred.
    • At least 10-20 TB of data transfer per month, although unlimited would be preferred.
    • 1 IP address is fine.
    • Looking at the £20-30/month range, not counting any setup costs or VAT. Obviously, lower would be better.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Geez, if such a deal existed, I’d have my grubby mits all over it.

If you’re bringing (or buying) your own disks, then @Infinity may be able to do something custom close to the top of your price range for the server, although when you add in the data transfer I suspect you’re not going to be far off £40-ish by the time you’re done; drop him a PM to see what he can offer.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • Maybe I should have put this in my original post, but I put this price range because I've actually already found two services that fit my requirements within this price range. Not sure if they are any good though:

• Simply Hosting -- they have a 75% off promotion for their "SF4" servers. With 2x2 TB disks, the stock 100 Mbps port, and 20 TB of data transfer per month, this would cost £29.75.
    • Easyspace -- their "ES Starter Package" includes 2x2TB disks, a 100 Mbps port, and unlimited data transfer for £24.99. Concerns me a bit because I'm not sure if the disk space would be upgradable later.

Is anyone familiar with these services by any chance?

• CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep

We can probably put 2TB SATAs into this Server for you for that price.

• Dual Xeon 8 Cores
    • 4GB Ram
    • 2x600GB SAS
    • 1Gbps port
    • /29 IPv4
    • £39.99 + VAT

https://billing.cloudxtiny.co.uk/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=0

Let me know if you are interested and we can do it for £29.99 in the UK. There will be VAT (UK/EU) and Setup charge.

• @someperson42 said:
    Maybe I should have put this in my original post, but I put this price range because I've actually already found two services that fit my requirements within this price range. Not sure if they are any good though:

• Simply Hosting -- they have a 75% off promotion for their "SF4" servers. With 2x2 TB disks, the stock 100 Mbps port, and 20 TB of data transfer per month, this would cost £29.75.
    • Easyspace -- their "ES Starter Package" includes 2x2TB disks, a 100 Mbps port, and unlimited data transfer for £24.99. Concerns me a bit because I'm not sure if the disk space would be upgradable later.

Is anyone familiar with these services by any chance?

Simply Hosting is a short-term loss leader. Pricing reverts back to normal after 3-6 month’s (can’t remember which).

Easyspace sell those configs set firm to save on costs - increasing disk almost certainly will mean a new server. They do have their clearance corner, with pre-configured older servers sold cheaper than usual, if you’re lucky to may get what you need. Those ones will definitely not be upgradeable yhough, so you need to future proof upfront.

• @Nekki said:
    Simply Hosting is a short-term loss leader. Pricing reverts back to normal after 3-6 month’s (can’t remember which).

Ah, I'm honestly not too surprised. I was actually planning on contacting them about this, and was just told that the pricing reverts back to normal after 6 months. After all, it did seem a bit too good to be true.

@Nekki said:
    Easyspace sell those configs set firm to save on costs - increasing disk almost certainly will mean a new server. They do have their clearance corner, with pre-configured older servers sold cheaper than usual, if you’re lucky to may get what you need. Those ones will definitely not be upgradeable yhough, so you need to future proof upfront.

That's kind of what I figured. So it sounds like I probably either need to settle for something or increase my price range.

• Server DS 4.3.1 (1 month) € 32.45 10 TB/month Included 8 GB DDR3 Included Raid 1 Included Onboard Intel(R) RSTe Raid Included 100 Mb/s Network Port Included Plesk Onyx Web Admin (10 Domini) (Free) Included 1 Indirizzo Ipv6 Included 1 Indirizzo IPv4 Included 2TB 3.5 SATA Included 2TB 3.5 SATA Included Intel® Xeon® CPU E3-1226v3@ 3.30GHz Included Lenovo ThinkServer 140 Included
    https://www.register.it/server/configurator.html?product=DS2DS431
    https://www.register.it/server/data-center/?lang=en

• Clouvider said: I'd also invite you to have a read on MOSS rules and tax on Digital Services for EU individuals (local tax rate paid to the government of their country of residence).

this would apply in general but depends on customer base i guess (i.e percent of business vs consumer).

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited September 2017

@TarZZ92 said:

Clouvider said: I'd also invite you to have a read on MOSS rules and tax on Digital Services for EU individuals (local tax rate paid to the government of their country of residence).

this would apply in general but depends on customer base i guess (i.e percent of business vs consumer).

You pay VAT if you are a company or individual in the UK. If you arent (and use a company VAT number) then you do VAT rebat meaning that you pay the VAT to your country/government.

E.g. We do not pay VAT to any other EU company directly if they are not registered as a business in Portugal. Take OVH as an example, we pay VAT there because they have a company fully registered in Portugal and bill us from a portuguese company/address/VAT number. Whatever we buy from Italy, UK, etc, we just dont pay VAT as a company. We rebat it or whatever you guys call it. In the end, we do pay it but to our government instead.

Note: I believe the right term is VAT reversal.

To sum it up:

You purchase from an EU company thats not in your country as an individual = you pay VAT to them.

You purchase from an EU company thats not in your country as a company = you do not pay VAT to them, you do VAT reversal and you pay VAT to your own country/government.

You purchase from an EU company that IS registered in your country (and billing from) = you pay VAT to them as a company or as an individual.

• MikePT said: You pay VAT if you are a company or individual in the UK. If you arent (and use a company VAT number) then you do VAT rebat meaning that you pay the VAT to your country/government.

Read what i said. not what you want to believe i said.. everyone pays vat but companies that have a larger consumer base vs Business should sell services/products inclusive of VAT, there was a ASA ruling about this a few years ago.

@TarZZ92 said:

MikePT said: You pay VAT if you are a company or individual in the UK. If you arent (and use a company VAT number) then you do VAT rebat meaning that you pay the VAT to your country/government.

Read what i said. not what you want to believe i said.. everyone pays vat but companies that have a larger consumer base vs Business should sell services/products inclusive of VAT, there was a ASA ruling about this a few years ago.

I dont get what you mean honestly... And not aware of such rule, this is standard within the EU tho

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited September 2017

MikePT said: I dont get what you mean honestly... And not aware of such rule, this is standard within the EU tho

Okay

For example if i buy something from say Next or asda or something like that, i would buy the products then get a receipt which would say "price includes vat" i.e rather than hiding the VAT to gain more profit they simply include VAT in the cost of the item.

so it's not FOR SALE £50 then at the checkout it's 20% extra in those examples it would be

Total £50 Including VAT. rather than excluding. for some companies i realise it's purely based on profit* and in my eyes it's very misleading to advertise a product without VAT.

So essentially am saying i prefer companies who are transparent and not hiding things behind walls

• edited September 2017

@TarZZ92 said:

MikePT said: I dont get what you mean honestly... And not aware of such rule, this is standard within the EU tho

Okay

For example if i buy something from say Next or asda or something like that, i would buy the products then get a receipt which would say "price includes vat" i.e rather than hiding the VAT to gain more profit they simply include VAT in the cost of the item.

so it's not FOR SALE £50 then at the checkout it's 20% extra in those examples it would be

Total £50 Including VAT. rather than excluding. for some companies i realise it's purely based on profit* and in my eyes it's very misleading to advertise a product without VAT.

So essentially am saying i prefer companies who are transparent and not hiding things behind walls

they are an international company. a larger portion of their customers do not have to pay VAT.. VAT varies between jurisdictions in the EU? How can they show including VAT when it varies? it would be wrong and misleading. For some higher and others lower when in reality they go to buy it then get shown the right cost.

They TELL YOU your VAT is not including.. THIS IS NOT misleading. This tells YOU as a tax payer that it will be calculated later.. It tells international clients that is the cost they pay. Remember not all locations they serve have the same VAT price.

They calculate VAT BEFORE YOU PAY and show it to you on the final page???? how is that wrong?

Basically you are saying that you are the only location there is and that VAT should be shown just for your country? That is not how it works mate.

They do not hide anything... Hiding it or being shady would be having you sign up and agree to pay but then be like oh hey you also owe VAT..... instead they tell you before you sign any agreements.

Basically in the US did you know websites show you the price without tax>????? Do you know why?>??? at all do you?????? its so that the company can charge taxes based on your location and lists it on the checkout page before you pay anything.....

You know??? How most of the world works... online websites show you a price and taxes are always contingent on your location.... Some websites may only serve a specific area and those may show the inclusive price but again....... what they are doing is not shady because most places in the world show just the base price.

Thanked by 2Clouvider Vinnyletje

@TarZZ92 said:

Okay

Ah I see what you mean. Basically: if its B2B both assume that VAT will be added on top of the product/service. Companies pay VAT no matter what. Most quotes (B2B) do not include the VAT charge unless stated (you need to add it yourself or ask them to), if within the same country you can just add it to the quote unless they do it for you.

Suppliers from other country but within EU, again, VAT reversal. They send you a quote without VAT. You pay the VAT to your government.

B2C, customer/individual is given the final price including VAT. No company, no VAT exempt/reverse. Thats how it works, hence why they are always given the final price. This is very typical in EU.

Now. Considering our business. Our target are companies, when we bill a portuguese company we add a small note saying (VAT is not included, they know its 23% on top of the quote we send) . When we send a quote for an individual then we send the final price including VAT.
    If we had an online store, we would state the final prices if we were only selling within Portugal because being company or individual, both pay VAT. Otherwise, selling within the EU, we wouldnt need to, and could add it in the last step for the order for individuals only.

I hope I was clear enough. Typing from my cellphone isnt easy!

"i would buy the products then get a receipt which would say "price includes vat" i.e rather than hiding the VAT to gain more profit they simply include VAT in the cost of the item."

Let's get this myth straight.
    Unless you have many expenses in your company to deduct VAT you spent with other companies paying for goods/products/services, a company does NOT profit from VAT.
    VAT is to be paid to your government, period. All of it. You can only "profit from it" if you have many expenses. And this one is VAT rebatable. Its not really a profit.

edited September 2017

Mike that depends on what VAT scheme you're on.

For example, if you're on a standard accrual scheme in the UK, and you have more VAT deductions than VAT to pay, the government will wire you the difference after you submit the return.

That is why you don't show VAT on B2B - as most business are not paying it, and we aim at businesses. B2B + non UK Consumers form heavy majority of our sales.

It's also not possible to list 30 prices for every single offer, one for Consumers in each of the 27 other EU countries, one for UK Consumers, one for UK and EU businesses and yet another one for non-EU businesses and individuals. This is nonsense. If we've given a price incl. UK VAT and then charged more to Portuguese Consumer because their VAT rate is higher, this would be misleading.

We're not hiding it, we're telling in every offer that the quote is exclusive of VAT, especially as, for example on this forum, or our website, we initially don't know what's the country of residence of the payer (and it can be different to the visitor). We clearly display the final price at the point of order. If @TarZZ92 is dettered by this transparent practise, then he wasn't even clickbaitded to the website, as he already knew from the AD that the price will be exclusive of VAT.

This is not our profit, this is the money we send to your government at the country of the payer's residence, as such if you live or have business in the UK, we change you local, UK tax rate and send it to Her Majesty's Government. If you're based in Portugal, we charge you local Portuguese tax rate and send this money to Portuguese government, if you're based in the US we don't charge you and we don't send it anywhere, as supplies in the US are out of scope of VAT.

I'm telling that for 2 years to @TarZZ92, others are telling that to him, with the same valid arguments over and over again and he keeps flaring up on us with the same thing over and over again for good 2 years now. I have no idea how else I can explain it. At this point I simple assume he is not going to change his mind no matter what explaination is provided, so I'll just stop wasting my time.

His Next or Asda argument is ridiculous. This are brick and mortar shops that sell goods nationally so a completely different set if VAT rules applied to them. You don't pay different 23% VAT at UK Asda being from Portugal and 20% being from the UK or no VAT if you're from US. You always pay the same VAT rate at the till so it makes every sense to include it. This is comparing locomotives with oranges. I won't even engage in this kind of discussion and we don't need to explain ourselves here.

Thanked by 1Vinnyletje
  • TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited September 2017

Clouvider said: This is not our profit

well to be fair it it. you making more money. instead of including vat in the price you simply hide it at checkout. so whatever the case you would be getting the £49 figure.

i believe misleading and hiding behind things should change am sure you agree?

some companies even have "transaction fees and services fees"

Clouvider said: His Next or Asda argument is ridiculous. This are brick and mortar shops that sell goods nationally so a completely different set if VAT rules applied to them

it was a example not a argument. but it's still pretty much the same, prices include VAT you hide behind a checkout page.

Sorry if you do not like the truth Dom but that's just how it is.

maybe if i was to speak to the ASA about this they may have something to say?

And for the record i have nothing against you Dom, i know you provide a reliable service and offer great customer support.

• MikePT said: Let's get this myth straight.

I was talking about the main price, not profiting from the 20%

everyone has to pay VAT in the so called European Union.

edited September 2017

@TarZZ92 said:

MikePT said: Let's get this myth straight.

I was talking about the main price, not profiting from the 20%

everyone has to pay VAT in the so called European Union.

Ah, that would explain. You don't want me to list all 30 VAT inclusive prices, to follow your logic. You only want to make sure that every website in the Internet shows you how much would British resident pay for the service, without regards for any other 27 groups of residents, or non residents or businesses.. Got it.

That would also explain why you're targeting Clouvider about something that's a completely normal practise in the Industry across the world and in the UK.

I'm out of here.

Thanked by 1Vinnyletje
  • TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited September 2017

Clouvider said: Ah, that would explain. You don't want me to list all 30 VAT inclusive prices, to follow your logic. You only want to make sure that every website in the Internet shows you how much would British resident pay for the service. Got it.

You could get around that with WHMCS by simply changing the VAT settings. easily done

Clouvider said: That would also explain why you're targeting Clouvider about something that's a completely normal practise in the Industry.

Read what i said i have a problem about this practice in general (hiding extra charges) not you specifically.

Here is an example from TSOHOST on how it should be done. notice on the site they advertise £14.99 rather than 14.99 + 20%