Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CDN questions and looking for something new.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CDN questions and looking for something new.

MisterGMisterG Member
edited September 2017 in General

I am currently using KeyCDN and even at the $50 a year that I must deposit it is far beyond what I am using so I have started looking into other options. All the sites that are using the CDN are US based therefor I really don't worry about how many pops outside the US. With that in mind I am trying to lower my cost as I do not see any reason to keep adding funds to KeyCDN right now. I do not need storage as everything is using pull. Currently I am looking at:

BunnyCDN - testing them again as in the past they slowed down the sites but hoping that has changed.

AWS CloudFront - Love the speed but I need to block hot-linking by restricting the HTTP referrer but can't seem to do that without the WAF or signed cookies/URL. Any ideas anyone?

5centsCDN - just found them last night and going to start testing soon. I was signing up and found their TOS page returned an error so waiting for them to respond. They fixed it and sent me an email. Anyone use them? Know anything about them?

Cloudflare - not an option.

Rackspace - not an option (UGH)

Other ideas I should look at?

Thanks for your input.

Comments

• What kind of files are you serving?

• What is your use case?

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

BunnyCDN or cdn.net
    Ask @OnApp_Terry for a coupon code. I heard he sometimes issues 100k USD codes... (I might be lying here).

Thanked by 1iKeyZ
  • Why not cloudflare?

• MisterGMisterG Member
    edited September 2017

@cpsd @OnAPP_Terry Serving images, js, css, PDFs - It is all about speeding up the sites. On two sites we are protecting PDFs, DOCs, etc with HTTP referrer to protect from direct linking. Yes, there are ways around this but it has worked fine for our needs. Right now we are only using under 100MB per month as images are tightly optimized and we are taking advantage of browser caching.

@qtwrk Cloudflare is not an option as a huge userbase is behind proxies at offices and too many issues with Cloudflare.

• ddhhzddhhz Member
    edited September 2017

@MisterG alibabacloud is pretty cool. They have http referrer whitelist feature built in, free ssl, smart compression, etc.

They also have an object storage service that supports origin pulls which you can point cdn to for added performance.

I use it for my personal website. Here is my aff, I think you get a month or two worth of services for free.

• BunnySpeedBunnySpeed Member, Host Rep

@MisterG said:
    I am currently using KeyCDN and even at the $50 a year that I must deposit it is far beyond what I am using so I have started looking into other options. All the sites that are using the CDN are US based therefor I really don't worry about how many pops outside the US. With that in mind I am trying to lower my cost as I do not see any reason to keep adding funds to KeyCDN right now. I do not need storage as everything is using pull. Currently I am looking at:

BunnyCDN - testing them again as in the past they slowed down the sites but hoping that has changed.

AWS CloudFront - Love the speed but I need to block hot-linking by restricting the HTTP referrer but can't seem to do that without the WAF or signed cookies/URL. Any ideas anyone?

5centsCDN - just found them last night and going to start testing soon. I was signing up and found their TOS page returned an error so waiting for them to respond. They fixed it and sent me an email. Anyone use them? Know anything about them?

Cloudflare - not an option.

Rackspace - not an option (UGH)

Other ideas I should look at?

Thanks for your input.

Slowing down the site sounds odd. When did you test this? We've not had any performance complaints for months. If you find the site slower than before open a ticket and I'll be happy to look into it. On top of that, we've done quite a few routing optimizations in the past few weeks as well as increased our global presence to 20 POPs (+ 2 beta POPs that aren't officially out yet) and released a self learning system that makes sure even sites with a low request count get good cache hit rate.

• @BunnySpeed It was awhile ago when I tried and will be testing this week. Thank you for the message, all sounds good. I will follow up with you.

• 100mb/month will not keep your data in a cdn's cache, hence possibly slowing down the end-user experience instead of speeding it up.

Thanked by 2Clouvider Aidan
  • F21F21 Member
    edited September 2017

I am also looking to move away from KeyCDN as they have increased their prices for Asia, Australia and South America by a lot. They were 4 cents per GB previously. The minimum spend of $50 per year is also a minus (previously $29, and before that, credits did not expire).

I've signed up to 5CentsCDN on their As You Go plan and you get 1TB for free without any expiration. Their control panel can be a bit slow and hard to use. Their support documentation is also lacking in some areas, but the support was very helpful.

I'll be testing their service further to see if it is suitable.

• @teamacc said:
    100mb/month will not keep your data in a cdn's cache, hence possibly slowing down the end-user experience instead of speeding it up.

Well, my main web page is a 192KB image + single HTML file and the file still seems to be cached in BunnyCDN :)

• @teamacc Unless the CDN has the option to allow me to set the cache time. Many do.
    @sanvit I just checked and @BunnyCDN has the option to change "Configure how long our edge servers will store your files before fetching for a new version." from minutes to days to months.

• @MisterG said:
    @teamacc Unless the CDN has the option to allow me to set the cache time. Many do.
    @sanvit I just checked and @BunnyCDN has the option to change "Configure how long our edge servers will store your files before fetching for a new version." from minutes to days to months.

I'm pretty sure most CDN companies provide such option. The thuing is that if the files are not requested that often, the files might get kicked out due to storage limit of edge servers (which never happened to me on BCDN)

• @F21 I have been playing around with 5CentsCDN since last night. Looks like they are reselling a few others such as Limelight, StackPath and CDNetworks. I agree the control panel seems a bit slow and took a bit to figure out. I am testing it with two sites now.

• @sanvit I found one (don't remember who) that did not have the option to set it. When I asked support a few questions they just avoided that one. I am thinking @BunnyCDN did not have that option last year but don't remember. I could be wrong. @BunnyCDN ??

@MisterG said:
    @sanvit I found one (don't remember who) that did not have the option to set it. When I asked support a few questions they just avoided that one. I am thinking @BunnyCDN did not have that option last year but don't remember. I could be wrong. @BunnyCDN ??

We have a cache override time setting in the dashboard that allows you to chose from 3 minutes to a year. And ever if a feature is missing, we're constantly adding things :)

• @BunnySpeed said:

@MisterG said:
    @sanvit I found one (don't remember who) that did not have the option to set it. When I asked support a few questions they just avoided that one. I am thinking @BunnyCDN did not have that option last year but don't remember. I could be wrong. @BunnyCDN ??

We have a cache override time setting in the dashboard that allows you to chose from 3 minutes to a year. And ever if a feature is missing, we're constantly adding things :)

Still no option to add custom robot.txt or block search engines. I consider it essential especially to prevent duplicate content issues

• ZerpyZerpy Member
    edited September 2017

@jetchirag said:
    Still no option to add custom robot.txt or block search engines. I consider it essential especially to prevent duplicate content issues

You're aware that Google and Bing supports the X-Robots-Tag tag, yes?

Also you can set a canonical header - which also fixes your duplicate content.

@jetchirag said:

@BunnySpeed said:

@MisterG said:

Sorry about the delay on this. We actually have the system ready now, but it's not yet visible in the dashboard. If you open a ticket we can set a custom robots.txt for you.

Thanked by 1Zerpy
  • We have some good reviews for BunnyCDN and Belugacdn. :)

Thanked by 1BunnySpeed
  • I've been using BunnyCDN for my personal website. I was hosting a relatively large and popular recovery image for a new portable device and was inundated with requests. The features are good and the pricing is hard to beat. Support has always been responsive and I appreciate how easy it is to use. They have my thumbs up.

Thanked by 2BunnySpeed Zerpy
  • I wanted to thank everyone for their comments and feedback. I am going to be testing @BunnyCDN and 5centscdn over the next few weeks to see which will work for us.5cents looks interesting but as @F21 said the control panel is a bit slow. I am going to reach out to support to see what they say about that. The CDN seems good in initial testings. They do offer a free trail so makes it easier to check out. Of course as we all know Bunny does too. I love free trials! I will follow up later with my thoughts.

Of course as others brought up cdn.net and belugacdn both look grate but I was trying to take my costs under what I am paying with KeyCDN and neither would fit that.

• Luke007Luke007 Member
    edited September 2017

Is 5CentsCDN a joke? It routes to a single edge location no matter where the user is located. It seems they have only one PoP.

• Is 5CentsCDN a joke? It routes to a single edge location no matter where the user is located. It seems they have only one PoP.

Contact their support? That really doesn't sound normal...

• Aidan said: Contact their support

This is their reply -
    We are using Anycast technology. Anycast is networking technique where the same IP prefix is advertised from multiple locations.

Manu E S
    5centsCDN Inc.

• they tell the truth.

test traceroute from multiple location

• @Luke007 I thought the same thing at first until I tested from many locations.

I do like the upgrade they did to their control panel today, it is so much faster.

Thanked by 1rush0143
  • @Luke007 5centsCDN using Anycast technology. Anycast works like a globally recognized phone number, similar to 911. When you dial 911, the phone network connects you to the closest available Public Safety Answering Point.

It doesn’t matter where you are, or which departments are offline: you’ll get the routed to the closest available provider. Service providers can hop on or off the network as their availability changes, and users can keep dialling the same number.

Anycast DNS provides the same benefit for your servers: visitors asking for a certain IP (1.2.3.4) are directed to the nearest available server that’s configured to respond to that IP.

Thanked by 1rush0143
  • @MisterG said:
    @Luke007 I thought the same thing at first until I tested from many locations.

I do like the upgrade they did to their control panel today, it is so much faster.

I tested few months back it was damn slow, now it super fast. I think they upgraded recently.

I am still testing few other features will keep you posted.