Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

$5 FreePBX VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

$5 FreePBX VPS

HuntersPadHuntersPad Member
edited September 2017 in Requests

Looking for $5 or preferably under VPS for running FreePBX for just 2 lines. Not a business just personal use. So prefer 1GB ram and 2x CPU. Must be KVM due to FreePBX.

10GB or so of storage.

Locations: New York, North Carolina, Or Atlanta.

Prefer NC if possible. Was looking at RamNode NY location currently though.

Thanks.

Comments

• I have NC KVM opening this week. I really don't suggest FreePBX though, it's a security nightmare - or if you do, make sure it's very well firewalled.

KVM2G-1024
    2 threads E5-2670
    25 GB SSD storage
    1000 GB transit
    $5/mo / $50/yr

Gear is going online Tuesday so should be listing sales that evening.

• karanchookaranchoo Member
    edited September 2017

i was long time user of freepbx and whatever security i do , my freepbx get hacked always due to some module vulnerability or whatever .
    I gave up and now i am using 3cx pbx express free edition it comes with 1 trunk and 8 extension limit , enough for my use . using it on ovh vps1 and it works very good at least for my needs.

Previously also tried it on Slice 1 from @Francisco and it worked well there too.

• You can easily install FreePBX/Asterisk on OpenVZ VPS... why only KVM? Does it have to an ISO based distro?

Also 1GB RAM seems too much for such personal usage. I believe you can do as well with 256MB RAM server (as I did myself with my Asterisk).

If you're after cheapest deals consider 256MB RAM OpenVZ VPS.
    If you're after something dirt cheap, consider NAT VPS (for personal use I see no problem) I've seen some for $5 a year or so.

• I never used FreePBX just plain Asterisk.
  • @farsighter said:
    You can easily install FreePBX/Asterisk on OpenVZ VPS... why only KVM? Does it have to an ISO based distro?

Also 1GB RAM seems too much for such personal usage. I believe you can do as well with 256MB RAM server (as I did myself with my Asterisk).

Yes, that's too much

VZ works

If you're after something dirt cheap, consider NAT VPS (for personal use I see no problem) I've seen some for $5 a year or so.

Don't use NAT, it's probably possible, but you don't want the hassle of 20 ports to work with and a NAT IPv4, or someone messing about and getting the shared IPv4 DDoS'ed which means your VoIP is nulled. Get a dedicated IPv4!

I use plain asterisk 1.4 on a 128MB ram OpenVZ and it works well on Virmach $3/yr VPS. You don't need massive specs. Avoid the Digium frontend, when I used it it got hacked and someone was placing calls to the Zionist entity. Now I use just Asterisk 1.4 on it's own, it's old, but works!

• @asterisk14 said:

@farsighter said:
    You can easily install FreePBX/Asterisk on OpenVZ VPS... why only KVM? Does it have to an ISO based distro?

Yes, that's too much

VZ works

Don't use NAT, it's probably possible, but you don't want the hassle of 20 ports to work with and a NAT IPv4, or someone messing about and getting the shared IPv4 DDoS'ed which means your VoIP is nulled. Get a dedicated IPv4!

I use plain asterisk 1.4 on a 128MB ram OpenVZ and it works well on Virmach $3/yr VPS. You don't need massive specs. Avoid the Digium frontend, when I used it it got hacked and someone was placing calls to the Zionist entity. Now I use just Asterisk 1.4 on it's own, it's old, but works!

• @asterisk14 said:

@asterisk14 said:

@farsighter said:

>

Yes, that's too much

>

VZ works

>

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee Barred
    edited September 2017

Can do 1GB, 2vCore KVM in NY or NC for $5. NC is on an E5 and NY is on an E3. You can view the default specs below but if you want the custom specs for $5 I can do it :)

New York : North Carolina

• This post got blown out of the water haha.

I've been running FreePBX for just about a year now. I've never been "hacked" other than tons of bots trying to connect as an extension but no success lol.

Usually I just use two trunks. 1 has outbound and incoming. (Rarely use outbound). And the 2nd is just incoming only.

I've tried 3CX in the past but was never able to get something like the follow me feature going like what's on freepbx where instead of a normal ring when calling a number they hear music/whatever I have until the call is answered.

Anyone use RamNode?

• @HuntersPad said:
    This post got blown out of the water haha.

I used my imagination, but I was disturbed.

Thanked by 1scaveney
  • @jarland said:
    Now, let us co-exist without further altercations.

What if I still need to poop?

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2017

(Edited by @jarland, that topic is not part of this thread now)

Ramnode = good. Check out Atlanta as I think you might get better connectivity from NC to there than NYC. - http://lg.atl.ramnode.com

I would get a test IP from @scaveney though as Hostigation is quite good, their DC is in Charlotte (I believe).

Thanked by 1HuntersPad
  • Thanks!

Does pings matter much to the DID/trunk?

My pings from my ISP:

NY - 25ms-30ms
    ATL- 18ms-25ms

Pings from Server to DID/Trunk:

NY - 3ms
    ATL - 19ms

• Latency up to 40ms is ideal for VoIP, above that will start to be evident in calls (short delay in audio). Upper limit should be 150ms, anything more will be notably delayed and likely to have minor packet loss or at minimum frame re-ordering which makes use of a larger jitter buffer necessary.

Thanked by 2WSS HuntersPad
  • @scaveney said:
    Latency up to 40ms is ideal for VoIP, above that will start to be evident in calls (short delay in audio). Upper limit should be 150ms, anything more will be notably delayed and likely to have minor packet loss or at minimum frame re-ordering which makes use of a larger jitter buffer necessary.

Yeah just wasnt sure if I should take a few seconds off my ping to the VPS in exchange for VPS pings to the trunk to be almost zero.

• Also, Asterisk may work under OpenVZ but it is not ideal by any means - timing source is purely userland at that point and I don't think timerfd works properly in OpenVZ or at least didn't last time I tried. Any jittery connections are going to be problematic, you really do benefit from even a dummy timing source in the kernel

Thanked by 1HuntersPad
  • @HuntersPad said:
    Yeah just wasnt sure if I should take a few seconds off my ping to the VPS in exchange for VPS pings to the trunk to be almost zero.

If you expect to handle most traffic in IVRs or redirecting off the PBX instead of to your local endpoint, it's a good idea, but doesn't matter too much when you're talking under 40ms on either side.

Thanked by 1HuntersPad
  • @scaveney said:

@HuntersPad said:

If you expect to handle most traffic in IVRs or redirecting off the PBX instead of to your local endpoint, it's a good idea, but doesn't matter too much when you're talking under 40ms on either side.

Thanks. I may just stick to the NY box I ordered last night and go from there. I used to have it in D.C.

• vultr have that iso available in ther instances

FreePBX 10.13.66 and 14.0.11

feel free to use my link:

https://www.vultr.com/?ref=6802573

• @dedicados said:
    vultr have that iso available in ther instances

FreePBX 10.13.66 and 14.0.11

feel free to use my link:

https://www.vultr.com/?ref=6802573

Thanks but I already have an account :D the $5 one is only 1 CPU core. Which is almost always maxed out for my testing for FreePBX.

• @HuntersPad said:
    Thanks!

Does pings matter much to the DID/trunk?

My pings from my ISP:

NY - 25ms-30ms
    ATL- 18ms-25ms

Pings from Server to DID/Trunk:

NY - 3ms
    ATL - 19ms

Those pings are excellent. Mine are in the range of 180ms and it still works well.

@scaveney said:
    Also, Asterisk may work under OpenVZ but it is not ideal by any means - timing source is purely userland at that point and I don't think timerfd works properly in OpenVZ or at least didn't last time I tried. Any jittery connections are going to be problematic, you really do benefit from even a dummy timing source in the kernel

I don't run dummy timing and I've seen no read difference myself. My asterisk server is in NY, I'm in UK and my VoIP providers are in Germany.

Thanked by 1HuntersPad
  • WSS said: I used my imagination, but I was disturbed.

>

I know you think I'm like the others before

• WSSWSS Member
    edited September 2017

@thagoat said:

WSS said: I used my imagination, but I was disturbed.

>

I know you think I'm like the others before

Found your name and ANI upon the log.