Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to block lowend ads and Google spying on your activity
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to block lowend ads and Google spying on your activity

pubcrawlerpubcrawler Banned
edited March 2013 in Tutorials

For folks not running adblock software already or running on limited resources where such software might consume too many resources, there is this. This will work on all major OSes.

Why block these ads and spy monitors? Deprives the site (and others) from making money by selling ads based on your usage and contributions. It prevents Google from knowing directly every page you view, every comment you are about to submit, etc.

In Linux:
nano /etc/hosts

Add these to the hosts file:
127.0.0.1 buysellads.com
127.0.0.1 s3.buysellads.com
127.0.0.1 google-analytics.com
127.0.0.1 www.google-analytics.com
127.0.0.1 ssl.google-analytics.com

For WIndows users, the hosts file:
c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Buysellads is the outsourced broker of ads for Lowend. Google Analytics is site-wide spy on everything reporting software.

Comments

• pubcrawlerpubcrawler Banned
    edited March 2013

• nikcnikc Member

.!.

• bnmklbnmkl Member

!.!

• http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/ and Adblock Plus...

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited March 2013

@pubcrawler said: In *NIX Systems

nano /etc/hosts

• MunMun Member

In windows same thing but the file is C:\windows\System32\Drivers\ETC\Host(s)

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited March 2013
  • nice list !!!

thank you

• Also be sure to get a tin foil hat, Google has satellites, don't you know.

• vedranvedran Veteran

NoScript ftw

• But now I can't see cvps or urpad ads on LET.

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

Why block, enjoy them <^_^>

• What is the point of this thread? :|

• Not reading or comprehending, which is it @Shane_Elmore?

• bnmklbnmkl Member

The advice by @pubcrawler is great.

127.0.0.1 google-analytics.com
    127.0.0.1 www.google-analytics.com
    127.0.0.1 ssl.google-analytics.com

Google Analytics is site-wide spy on everything.

Plus it has no use for the user but is generally one of the likely culprits for making a clean page load slowly.

• @nutjob said: Also be sure to get a tin foil hat, Google has satellites, don't you know.

• bnmklbnmkl Member
    edited March 2013

Haha.

I guess my Google phone is part of their new mapping of road traffic too.

It was inevitable.

• NightNight Member

Why not just use this: https://disconnect.me

• CoreyCorey Member

Why would you block google analytics data? Those are for site owners to get insight for their pages.

• nutjobnutjob Member
    edited March 2013

@pubcrawler said: Not reading or comprehending, which is it

I think he reads and comprehends fine, and thus the question. Google is no more spying on your activity than your ISP is, or any number of networks you traverse each day. It's an idiotic concept. But I guess if you're paranoid or stupid, this thread might have an appeal.

• natestammnatestamm Member
    edited March 2013

@Corey i would normally agree But in the past few years I've seen sites with a some what excessive amount of tracking... And improperly configured metrics can and will kill your page load times. It can be a little unfair to people browsing and paying for the Net if you've ever caught that

@Cirium nice!

• @nutjob said: Also be sure to get a tin foil hat, Google has satellites, don't you know.

Also use infrared LED's in your head so no camera can adequately get a picture of you.

• CoreyCorey Member

@natestamm said: @Corey i would normally agree But in the past few years I've seen sites with a some what excessive amount of tracking... And improperly configured metrics can and will kill your page load times. It can be a little unfair to people browsing and paying for the Net if you've ever caught that

Those webmasters need to go back to school. They will loose visitors due to the page load times.... page load times aren't the responsibility of the client.

• Google is no more spying on your activity than your ISP is, or any number of networks you traverse each day. It's an idiotic concept. But I guess if you're paranoid or stupid, this thread might have an appeal.

Google is spying nearly more than any company. To claim otherwise is lying.

The only company that may have more information on you is your ISP. But even that, today is disputable. Plus, I have to ask who your ISP is and does their business model exist for that business model. Google's business model is entirely about all knowing data slurping monitoring.

Google's crap is infesting nearly every website. How many lazy/stupid/whatever website owners are using Google Analytics? Google's Ads? Javascript included functions served from Google? YouTube embeds? I mean it's nearly impossible to find any site that isn't slamming the user multiple times per page into Google.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@natestamm said: And improperly configured metrics can and will kill your page load times.

GA loads asynchronously.

• I wonder with all these spy/ad/tracking/JS inclusions how much bandwidth is being eaten up unnecessarily in high cost environments like on 3G/4G/cellular plans? Another reason to block em'.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

LET/LEB Earn money from BSA so don't block buysellads but you can block google.. lol..