Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for suggestions on the forum - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for suggestions on the forum

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@matthewvz said: Your forum account is currently banned. Ban Reason: Automatically banned by the Akismet system for spamming

Plugin probably went a little crazy. Set to expire tomorrow morning. I can't lift it but admin can when he gets up ;)

• 96mb96mb Member
    edited March 2013

@matthewvz said: This is interesting, apparently I got banned? I don't recall spamming.

Your forum account is currently banned. Ban Reason: Automatically banned by the Akismet system for spamming

My apologies, apparently Akismet decided to take over the job when I am sleeping. I have just lifted the ban, sorry for the trouble.

I am sure there are still a million places where the forum have issues, feel free to point them out, you can either leave me a msg on the forum itself, here or email me directly. Thanks for everyone's help!

• 96mb96mb Member

@AnthonySmith said: I will get signed up happy to see you decided to launch.

Thanks Anthony. Let's see how it goes.

@tommy said: finally someone build another forum :D, time to sign up

Thanks Tommy!

@rzlosty said: I know it's hard to get domains that are short and meaningful like 96mb.com, but I think having your forum on a separate domain like LET would be nice. It just feels so much easier than "/forum" or "forum."

Thanks rzlosty for the suggestion, let me try to figure out something today,

• 96mb96mb Member

Just ran another check, seems everyone waiting for activation has been activated, apologies for the email issues (still trying to figure out why MyBB is not sending anything out to the new users), but if you still have trouble logging in/posting, feel free to drop me a msg.

• @96mb i think you need to look into the theme. i feel the actual post message does not look big enough to read it comfortably.

• My 0.02€: It looks extremly unprofessional to have 4 moderators in a forum with 25 members and 19 posts (not counting introductions).

• vedranvedran Veteran
    edited March 2013

It's not that unprofessional, it's a bit intimidating

Also, that forum reminds me of why I don't like forums in general. Too much scrolling, too much empty space

@vanarp said: @96mb i think you need to look into the theme. i feel the actual post message does not look big enough to read it comfortably.

This too. Post text (the most important part) is tiny, everything else (irrelevant) is huge.

• 96mb96mb Member

@vanarp said: @96mb i think you need to look into the theme. i feel the actual post message does not look big enough to read it comfortably.

Thanks, do you think shrinking the logo on the top a bit smaller might help?

@gsrdgrdghd said: My 0.02€: It looks extremly unprofessional to have 4 moderators in a forum with 25 members and 19 posts (not counting introductions).

Thanks for the feedback, I'll try to find a more professional theme then, I agree with you that this theme at not really "serious" since I did not really want to make the 96MB forum as serious as WHT but it seems I was a bit going over the thought by choosing this theme, my apologies and thanks for the suggestions.

As for the number of mods, I'd always like to be prepared before anything happens, granted 96MB forum is not as active as LET and of course even less active as WHT, but I'd rather be prepared for the day when it is bigger than it is now

@vedran said: Also, that forum reminds me of why I don't like forums in general. Too much scrolling, too much empty space

I'll work on the font size. Thanks for the suggestion.

• @96mb, where are the forums?

WHen I go to 96mb.com I can't even find the forum link.

How about putting a link at the very top of the site for it?

• 96mb96mb Member

@pubcrawler said: @96mb, where are the forums?

My bad, it is actually at http://forum.96mb.com

And I have just set up a new domain for it as well: http://www.96forum.com/

The name is not sexy I know, but for now hopefully it will make @rzlosty happy :) I will think of a shorter and better name in the due course.

• 96mb96mb Member

@pubcrawler said: WHen I go to 96mb.com I can't even find the forum link.

How about putting a link at the very top of the site for it?

Direct link to the forum has been added to the right hand side of the blog, thanks for your suggestion @pubcrawler !

• Thanks @96mb. I just signed up.

Still think you should get link up on the header for maximum visibility and priority.

• Don't mean to criticize but the current theme is an eyesore! Might I suggest having a look at skins from MySkins, audentio, quacktacular.net or dynaxel? Some might be premium/paid themes...

On another note, I really liked FluxBB after looking at it courtesy to a comparison done by @zsero. Maybe you should consider that for the forum as it's quite lightweight and "snappy"... :P just an opinion :)

• 96mb96mb Member
    edited March 2013

@icySrv said: Don't mean to criticize but the current theme is an eyesore! Might I suggest having a look at skins from MySkins, audentio, quacktacular.net or dynaxel? Some might be premium/paid themes...

Thanks @icySrv on your feedback, I am debating on the theme to use myself as well, apparently it is not an easy option. I don't mind spend some money to get a good theme, may be something "clean"?

EDIT: just updated the theme, what do you think?

• edited March 2013

Looks like a good effort., that theme though.. My eyes! Bout to register anyhow as I can see it'll be a good resource in the future.

I'm working on something similar, though certainly not just for the low-end/budget market. Just a general VPS forum. (http://vpsboard.com) Like yours, not meant to compete with all this craziness here, forum was setup prior to all the drama just launched today though.

Also, would be cool to see a section for low-end, community made and tested OS templates. =]

• 96mb96mb Member
    edited March 2013

@MannDude said: Looks like a good effort., that theme though.. My eyes! Bout to register anyhow as I can see it'll be a good resource in the future.

Just changed the theme, do you think this one might look better?

@MannDude said: Also, would be cool to see a section for low-end, community made and tested OS templates. =]

I guess you can always post them in the tutorials session in their respective sections, what do you think? Thanks for your suggestions!

• Much better looking @96mb!

• @96mb! I love the new theme. Keep it up!

@MannDude: I might mosey on over to your forum too now and then!

• I admire the way you're listening to everyone's feedback and acting on it. Far too many people get defensive when people give them constructive critasism - even when they ask for it!

• 96mb96mb Member

@MannDude said: Much better looking @96mb!

@HalfEatenPie said: @96mb! I love the new theme. Keep it up!

Thanks guys, particularly @HalfEatenPie for his suggestion on the theme.

@rzlosty said: I admire the way you're listening to everyone's feedback and acting on it. Far too many people get defensive when people give them constructive critasism - even when they ask for it!

Thanks, 96MB wouldn't be where it is now if not because of the wonderful guys and girls from the LET/LEB community, and I appreciate everything that you guys have done. I have to specially mention that I am very thankful to the wonderful admins/mods in the LET/LEB community, from the previous @LowEndAdmin to the current mods team, who has actually offered me quite a few tips and suggestions on 96MB literally introduced 96MB to a much wider group of audience. Thank you.

• "The server at www.96forum.com can't be found, because the DNS lookup failed."

Checked manually and same failure.

• 96mb96mb Member

@pubcrawler said: "The server at www.96forum.com can't be found, because the DNS lookup failed."

Checked manually and same failure.

Just fixed, for some reason my credit card declined the charge from Namecheap and they just happily dropped my domain. It should be fixed now, please check again. Thanks and sorry for the trouble.

• That's nice of Namcheap to do that after the fact. kind miffed I just signed up with them.

• vedranvedran Veteran

New theme is sexy!

• +1 for the new theme

• natestammnatestamm Member
    edited March 2013

We have a tighter content area here. Makes it feel more homely. Every bit of forum software out there feels too wide to me. Flip between the two, we're at least ten pixels less in width on each side here. And why not give it some sort of similar pastel looking color. Play off the colors in your logo don't Just follow the crowd be different. And lose the hundred and fifty different breadcrumb controls and search and filter inputs. I think what would be cool is a jQuery scroll of recent comments in the footer of the page. Let people see the activity on the site in a dynamic and non distracting way.

*Oh and make it responsive. No web site really deserves respect if it is not as of *2013. *Just check this out it's a good read en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Responsive_web_design Any ways...Yeah..free advice from a long time, Ehhh. Nevermind. I'll just go back under the bridge right. Sigh.

• 96mb96mb Member

@pubcrawler said: That's nice of Namcheap to do that after the fact. kind miffed I just signed up with them.

Indeed, and apparently being a good customer with them for more than 5 years and paid hundreds of renewal fees didn't help either.

I was hoping at least they could offer me a warning message saying something like: Pay using another card or we'll drop it in 12 hours rather than just dropping it with no warning, etc.

• 96mb96mb Member

@vedran said: New theme is sexy!

@pubcrawler said: +1 for the new theme

Thanks, @HalfEatenPie suggested it so all credits go to him :)

• bnmklbnmkl Member
    edited March 2013

@natestamm's last post is really good !

Good luck @96mb with your forum.

EDIT : His post may be more valuable than gold.

• @96mb I have no issues with FreeVPS.us (which runs MyBB) on a 96mb ovz from ddosprotect.us