Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Porkbun vs Namesilo - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Porkbun vs Namesilo

Comments

• @eva2000 said:
    Namesilo which supports DNSSEC. Does porkbun support DNSSEC?

Yep, even more than NameSilo (all algorithms + possibility to enter keyData).
    Also, they properly support nameserver delegation and glue (i.e. pretty.tld IN NS pretty.tld), few (if any?) other registrars do.

See screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/oJe8r

Thanked by 1eva2000
  • Dynadot

• cheers for clarification on porkbun's DNSSEC support :)

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Namesilo is fast and great, don't need to contact any support. Namecheap used to be the same, not anymore as became very greedy, UI is terrible now and support is useless.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited September 2017

Updating nameservers at Namecheap:
    Do your changes, wait 30mins, find out it did not work, contact support, chat for another 10mins, probably get it done.

Updating nameservers at Namesilo:
    Do your changes. Done.

This is my foremost experience with both over the last years. I had to contact Namecheap's support for the simplest things. They mostly got it done, but it took quite some time. Never had to contact Namesilo's support for anything. No idea about porkbun.

• PorkBun web page is a free template……So I have no confidence……

• Pretty sure Porkbun's parent company sells the ccTLD

.design .ink .wiki 

I have several domains with them, they're pretty great so far. No fuss, the design's alright. I also have domains with Namesilo and Namecheap.

I'd choose namesilo and porkbun over namecheap anyday, NC's interface is too slow..

• namesilo's website is very simple. I like the actual things.

• @eva2000 said:
    cheers for clarification on porkbun's DNSSEC support :)

I have to commend Porkbun for being (still) open to tech-savvy suggestions. When I contacted them about some needless limitation - disallowing naked domain for NS - they acknowledged it and fixed things in a snap. Namesilo's answer was more like "dear customer #398203, can't do, won't do, it's not a bug it's a feature, bye".

• I personally love the NameSilo Web 1.0 UI and fucking hate the bloated Namecheap Web 2.0 UI. I haven't used Porkbun, will try them out sometime. The Web 3.0 UI, whatever that is, keeps me thinking, if Web 1.0 is fine and 2.0 is shite, does this mean Web 3.0 is fucking terrible? Guess I'll find out.

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited September 2017

@sibaper said: for muslim people they might wont use porkbun as registrar because pork name

Jewish people may have the same reaction. Indeed, vegetarians may have the same reaction!

Personally, I would never have thought of using porkbun as a name for a registrar ...

• @bugrakoc said:
    I personally love the NameSilo Web 1.0 UI and fucking hate the bloated Namecheap Web 2.0 UI. I haven't used Porkbun, will try them out sometime. The Web 3.0 UI, whatever that is, keeps me thinking, if Web 1.0 is fine and 2.0 is shite, does this mean Web 3.0 is fucking terrible? Guess I'll find out.

Imo, web3.0 means minimalistic that doesnt look shite and lets you get to the shit you want without archaic menu structures.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

NameSilo works fine, cheapest you can find, including renewals.

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • @Neoon said:

until you use epik.com

• Just asking because I almost never see people mention OVH as registrar. Why? Are they bad in some ways or the lack of support, ...?

• Ovh is cheap and they support dnssec. I am thinking to move 100+ domains .es and .com to them.

• @sibaper said:

@Neoon said:

until you use epik.com

At epik.com I see $35.00 .com .net and .org renewals

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@ScienceOnline said:

@sibaper said:

@Neoon said:

until you use epik.com

Didn't see their pricing yet but if that's true, then that's super expensive.

• @MikePT said:

@ScienceOnline said:

@sibaper said:

@Neoon said:

until you use epik.com

Not for 1996.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@WSS said:

@MikePT said:

@ScienceOnline said:

@sibaper said:

@Neoon said:

until you use epik.com

Not for 1996.

Outdated prices then... :p

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@sibaper said:

@Neoon said:

until you use epik.com

Very good epik.com registrar, I can say more anonymous registrar as no one know where they are located (info from whois):

Registry Registrant ID:

Registrant Name: Privacy Administrator

Registrant Organization: Anonymize, Inc.

Registrant Street: PO Box 742

Registrant City: Bellevue

Registrant State/Province: WA

Registrant Postal Code: 98009

Registrant Country: US

Registrant Phone: 4253668810

Registrant Phone Ext:

Registrant Fax:

Registrant Fax Ext:

Registrant Email: [email protected]

• I'd try porkbun if they developed their API more. At a minimum, able to change contacts, nameservers, DNS, url/email forwarding, resend/check RAA verification status of gTLDs.

• sibapersibaper Member
    edited September 2017

@ScienceOnline said:

@sibaper said:

@Neoon said:

until you use epik.com

ask their live chat :) but only for .com. I'll add screenshot later

Screenshot

• Namecheap also only supports SMS-based 2FA, bah. Everyone else supports Authenticator-style.

• @WebProject said:

@sibaper said:

@Neoon said:

until you use epik.com

Very good epik.com registrar, I can say more anonymous registrar as no one know where they are located (info from whois):

Registry Registrant ID:

Registrant Name: Privacy Administrator

Registrant Organization: Anonymize, Inc.

Registrant Street: PO Box 742

Registrant City: Bellevue

Registrant State/Province: WA

Registrant Postal Code: 98009

Registrant Country: US

Registrant Phone: 4253668810

Registrant Phone Ext:

Registrant Fax:

Registrant Fax Ext:

Registrant Email: [email protected]

they're ICANN accredited registrar.
    https://www.epik.com/about/contact/?ln=en
    that their contact address.

even if they said where they are we dont know they tell the truth right? like internetbs

• @willie said:
    Namecheap also only supports SMS-based 2FA, bah. Everyone else supports Authenticator-style.

They have their own app now.. Appears to be based on Authy, but require their own App downloaded.

• @MikePT said:

@WSS said:
    The last time I asked, it was a manual process. However, they may have something setup since then.

I misunderstood and answered about transferring between users on PorkBun.

Here's their FAQ: http://kb.porkbun.com/article/27-how-to-transfer-a-domain-from-porkbun-to-another-registrar

I've not transferred anything OUT from PorkBun, but when I clicked the "Approve/Accept Force" in NameSilo, it made no difference to NOT doing so.

Send their support a ticket. https://porkbun.com/support

You'll probably have an answer within hours, despite being a holiday weekend (through Tuesday).

I will send them an email tomorrow. So looks like its not possible to force it.
    The force option at NameSilo works great in my end and releases the domain within a few minutes. Pushing the domain to another account is very easy as well. I thought that was all automated at Porkbun as it is in NameSilo. Really, NameSilo's UI is terribly ugly. Even worse when you get to manage the domains using your cellphone.

Instead I think it's pretty classic. Because English is not my native language, I can still understand their interface.And give me the feeling of professional safety.

• caracal said: require their own App downloaded.

Hmm, not sure if I noticed that before, but no I don't want another TOTP app, I already have a perfectly good one. Thanks for the info though.

• I use namesilo for all my domains. UI is old but it works well and fast. Good WHMCS Plugin too.

• I think a lot of people will chose NameSilo