Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Porkbun vs Namesilo
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Porkbun vs Namesilo

MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Which one do you guys prefer? I have been using NameSilo and it works great though I have been thinking to move my domains somewhere else.

Please vote!

Poll not found

Comments

• Poll not found.

Anyway, I'm using porkbun (haven't used namesilo) and it's great. Simple design and rather fast support. But if your provider works great, why are you trying to move?

Thanked by 1MikePT
    • WSSWSS Member
      edited September 2017

Porkbun pretty much does everything NameSilo does, and it has that snappy Web 3.0 interface everyone prefers to the 1.0 interface of NameSilo. Plus, @Ross has firm, soft hands.

E: I moved everything to PorkBun awhile ago because of NameSilo's response to net neutrality related issues. E.G. The Nazi fucks.

Thanked by 1MikePT
    • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@sanvit said:
      Poll not found.

Anyway, I'm using porkbun (haven't used namesilo) and it's great. Simple design and rather fast support. But if your provider works great, why are you trying to move?

Quite tired of their interface. I dont know. I often like to try new providers tbh. Still thinking about it but I have read lots of good stuff about Porkbun lately.

@WSS said:
      Porkbun pretty much does everything NameSilo does, and it has that snappy Web 3.0 interface everyone prefers to the 1.0 interface of NameSilo. Plus, @Ross has firm, soft hands.

E: I moved everything to PorkBun awhile ago because of NameSilo's response to net neutrality related issues. E.G. The Nazi fucks.

I see. Thats something that annoys pretty much. The UI. Their design isnt responsive at all and I sell a lot of domains per month. Many using my cellphone, to transfer those etc which is a PITA in NameSilo.

Do Porkbun have transfer out options? E.g with NameSilo I can approve the transfer manually and the buyer gets the domain transfered within minutes. This is something that I really need. Been reading their website but couldnt find this information.

• WSSWSS Member
      edited September 2017

The last time I asked, it was a manual process. However, they may have something setup since then.

I misunderstood and answered about transferring between users on PorkBun.

Here's their FAQ: http://kb.porkbun.com/article/27-how-to-transfer-a-domain-from-porkbun-to-another-registrar

I've not transferred anything OUT from PorkBun, but when I clicked the "Approve/Accept Force" in NameSilo, it made no difference to NOT doing so.

Send their support a ticket. https://porkbun.com/support

You'll probably have an answer within hours, despite being a holiday weekend (through Tuesday).

Thanked by 1MikePT

@WSS said:
      The last time I asked, it was a manual process. However, they may have something setup since then.

I misunderstood and answered about transferring between users on PorkBun.

Here's their FAQ: http://kb.porkbun.com/article/27-how-to-transfer-a-domain-from-porkbun-to-another-registrar

I've not transferred anything OUT from PorkBun, but when I clicked the "Approve/Accept Force" in NameSilo, it made no difference to NOT doing so.

Send their support a ticket. https://porkbun.com/support

You'll probably have an answer within hours, despite being a holiday weekend (through Tuesday).

I will send them an email tomorrow. So looks like its not possible to force it.
      The force option at NameSilo works great in my end and releases the domain within a few minutes. Pushing the domain to another account is very easy as well. I thought that was all automated at Porkbun as it is in NameSilo. Really, NameSilo's UI is terribly ugly. Even worse when you get to manage the domains using your cellphone.

• Where is the namecheap selection. Best registry all around in the domain market. Firm hand shakes. Yeah they are a registry , no longer just a reseller.

Thanked by 1MikePT
    • I personally use both, different reasons though (Porkbun is generally cheaper). I wish that Porkbun improve their API, it has almost no options for managing domains, ordering etc, unlike Namesilo which gives almost full control to the account via their API.

Thanked by 2WSS MikePT
    • Personally transferring most to namesilo right now, working great, yeah it's very web 1.0 but it works well.

@Hxxx said:
      Where is the namecheap selection. Best registry all around in the domain market. Firm hand shakes. Yeah they are a registry , no longer just a reseller.

I thought Porkbun are an ICANN accredited registrar too. Its in their website.
      Namecheap would be my third choice.

@Vita said:
      I personally use both, different reasons though (Porkbun is generally cheaper). I wish that Porkbun improve their API, it has almost no options for managing domains, ordering etc, unlike Namesilo which gives almost full control to the account via their API.

Yeah thats what I like in NameSilo. It works well, fast. Fully featured. But the UI is... Still in the 99s.

@Ho-ost said:
      Personally transferring most to namesilo right now, working great, yeah it's very web 1.0 but it works well.

Indeed. I'll probably move a few domains to Porkbun.

• I prefer namesilo. Their panel is a bit outdated but it works smoothly. Have been thinking about moving when they dropped DS as a client but imo there's no better alternative. I have some domains at Porkbun as well but I'm not impressed with their panel and had some issues when registering domains.

Thanked by 1MikePT
    • so far I only use namesilo had 10 domain there, never use porkbun before.

I love the simplicity of namesilo.

for muslim people they might wont use porkbun as registrar because pork name

another cheap registrar is epik.com register/renew/transfer .com $8.45/y

Thanked by 1MikePT

@Saragoldfarb said:
      I prefer namesilo. Their panel is a bit outdated but it works smoothly. Have been thinking about moving when they dropped DS as a client but imo there's no better alternative. I have some domains at Porkbun as well but I'm not impressed with their panel and had some issues when registering domains.

I see. What issues did you experience? They recently told me that they are thinking on polishing their template, but I don't see that coming anytime soon probably due to the whole rewrite needed there I assume.

@sibaper said:
      so far I only use namesilo had 10 domain there, never use porkbun before.

I love the simplicity of namesilo.

for muslim people they might wont use porkbun as registrar because pork name

another cheap registrar is epik.com register/renew/transfer .com $8.45/y

Never heard about those guys tbh. Looks interesting.

• I moved a few to namesilo from namecheap because Namecheap UI made me feel like my dad trying to figure out Facebook for the first time.

Never make a nerd feel stupid.

Thanked by 3bugrakoc BBTN maverickp
    • SaragoldfarbSaragoldfarb Member
      edited September 2017

@MikePT said:

@Saragoldfarb said:
      I prefer namesilo. Their panel is a bit outdated but it works smoothly. Have been thinking about moving when they dropped DS as a client but imo there's no better alternative. I have some domains at Porkbun as well but I'm not impressed with their panel and had some issues when registering domains.

I see. What issues did you experience? They recently told me that they are thinking on polishing their template, but I don't see that coming anytime soon probably due to the whole rewrite needed there I assume.

A couple of times a domain didn't show up after registration at porkbun. Support has always been outstanding though. They sorted it quickly. Namesilo has proven to be reliable so anything really important is with them. Their prices are all right and definitely worth the peace of mind :).

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Porkbun is based in Portland, Oregon. Reason enough to stay away.

NameSilo...yeah, reliable but the whole censorship thing was lame.

I'm hoping a solid third choice emerges. I've actually never had a single problem with Internet.BS but they're not always the cheapest.

• @raindog308 said:
      Porkbun is based in Portland, Oregon. Reason enough to stay away.

You hate hipsters? Me too- but hipsters who provide a service?! Well, you might want a bowl of captain crunchberries at 2am and then where are you going to go?

Welp. Burn it down. BURN IT ALL DOWN!

• I like namesilo's UX better than porkbun's since it's fast and it doesn't depend on external javascript. I hadn't heard about the net neutrality issue, which sounds bad :(. Namecheap's UI is slow and awful and Namecheap itself is also expensive unless it's a promo item.

I probably want to bypass UI's altogether and just do everything through APIs, so I'll have to figure out which of them has the best API.

• Internet.bs is pretty good, I second this, never had issues with them. Firm Hand shake all around.

• Porkbun's documented API leaves a lot to be desired. I'm hoping that they build upon it, or release more information.

• namesilo

• A lot of people had concerns about internetbs when they were sold to CentralNic or whoever, I think a lot of people went to namesilo after. Personally I've always liked gandi, they definitely aren't the cheapest, but they are seemingly nice people. Porkbun has been pretty okay for me as well so far, dunno how I feel about em long term though, especially with a 10 year .party sitting with them.

• Namesilo. But I did get a few domains at porkbun when they had the pricing "glitch"

• Namesilo which supports DNSSEC. Does porkbun support DNSSEC?

• WSSWSS Member
      edited September 2017

@eva2000 said:
      Namesilo which supports DNSSEC. Does porkbun support DNSSEC?

Yes.

Edit: Registrar transfer and Account Transfer are now available under the pulldown menu. It is not available via bulk domains, though. :(

Thanked by 1eva2000
    • Namesilo all the way. I love their Web 1.0 interface, it's old rusty and smells strange but it works! Support is euking amazing, got response within 10 - 15 minutes. Also, they handle 1M+ domains and that's something to say about them.

• nulldevnulldev Member
      edited September 2017

@LTniger said:
      Namesilo all the way. I love their Web 1.0 interface, it's old rusty and smells strange but it works! Support is euking amazing, got response within 10 - 15 minutes. Also, they handle 1M+ domains and that's something to say about them.

1 **MILLION** + domains??? Am I reading this right? I can't imagine the renewal costs on those...

Nevermind, thought you owned 1 million domains yourself for a second there.

• I like them both, I also suggest pananames.com, I think it is understimated

• @raindog308 said:
      I'm hoping a solid third choice emerges. I've actually never had a single problem with Internet.BS but they're not always the cheapest.

Internet Bull Shit??
      2 weeks ago, domain NS for my production site changed by InetBS staff without my permissions..

Defacer chat with InetBS Staff only by using [email protected] and then Staff help him to change my Domain NS, amazing security..
      At least ask my email registered with them or must confirm something..

30 Mins later, my site change into deface mode, lol..1 of big Registrar got beaten easily using Social attack by defacer use NS hijack..

• Im using porkbun and prefer it, but I also have domains at many other registrars...