Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you keep track of your LEB's/domains/licenses/etc.?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do you keep track of your LEB's/domains/licenses/etc.?

BK_BK_ Member
edited March 2013 in General

I'm currently using an excel spreadsheet. Insanely inaccurate, as I generally forget to update it from month-to-month when I add/remove stuff. And it's typically a pain to actually see what's coming up for renewal, especially with all of the different types of billing cycles (monthly, annually, ...)

My question to you is, what do you use to organize all of it? I'm looking for a better solution :)

Comments

• IshaqIshaq Member

LEBs = Putty and notepad.

Domains = I have them with 6 different registrars so just login to check.

Licenses = Panel of company.

• Every time that I get a server, I add a DNS entry for it.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Likewise, I've got an unwieldy excel spreadsheet that I always forget to update with new plans.

• JacobJacob Member

Phone memos.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Excel spreadsheet.

Unless you write something that interact with every provider's WHMCS API (if that is even possible) + the API of every registrar you use, you'll have to update manually.

Or use a Google/whatever calendar and put renewal dates, etc on there.

• Google Drive, with a spreadsheet
    Easy! :)

• Google drive and dns entry. You can even use dns api to build a page listing your LEBs and domains

• I actually keep a paper version in a mid sized hardbound notebook that stays with me / in my backpack.

Moving to a spiral bound version so I can get things organized how I want them. Full page for each account and details. Related info, documents, etc.

Remove pages when provider gets canned or whatever.

Spreadsheets are fine, just not really scalable on most screens. Can't fit many cells.

Not huge chance of data corruption, theft, etc. with paper version.

• ztecztec Member

All in my mail account under different folders.

• I do have some "printed" pages in my collection -- printed version of electronic info.

But most of it is handwritten.

• BK_BK_ Member
    edited March 2013

Lots of feedback and ideas, thanks guys :P Keep 'em coming.

Anyone use anything along the lines of a web interface specifically for it? (Not Google docs)

@pubcrawler said: Spreadsheets are fine, just not really scalable on most screens. Can't fit many cells.

Yeah, I agree. My OCD & excel don't mix. That's probably why I don't open it very often :P

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@pubcrawler

Not huge chance of data corruption, theft, etc. with paper version

if the notebook gets wet, thats data corruption

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

Encrypted .txt file that goes through Dropbox, and decrypted locally per-machine.

• wdqwdq Member

I use a Google Drive spreadsheet that I always forget to update as well. I'd change it if I find something better, but the spreadsheet really gets the job done for me.

• True @MikHo. But chance of paper getting wet is very slim in my world.

Been using hard bound, waterproof cover notebooks for 20+ years. Never lost one yet. Have a whole book shelf of them :)

• One option is to host your own private personal wiki.

• pcanpcan Member

For each VPS I create a folder with the following name structure: year-month-day of the next due date, DNS/VPS name, provider name, short name of the application/project/role of the VPS. Inside the folder, I put all the relevant documentation: TOS, paid invoices, a text file with credentials, VPS configuration informations etc.
    To check renevals, I simply sort the parent folder by name. To check other informations, I open the VPS folder.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@user123 said: One option is to host your own private personal wiki.

Actually, something tiny like tiddlywiki would be a bloody easy solution, you could run that on a 32MB VPS comfortably. If only there was a website where I could find low-priced, low-end VPS plans...

• Very low end box. I want a 32MB VPS. And for kicks, I might try 16MB.

• @Nekki said: @user123 said: One option is to host your own private personal wiki.

Actually, something tiny like tiddlywiki would be a bloody easy solution, you could run that on a 32MB VPS comfortably. If only there was a website where I could find low-priced, low-end VPS plans...

I chose DokuWiki because it's self-contained, uses modules for functions (there are tons!), it is still being updated by developers, and it has a flat structure (doesn't need any databases). Backing up is easy - just tar up the folder, transfer it to your new server (or your computer if you want to back it up locally), extract the folder, and you're good to go! I run mine over SSL and have disabled registration, so only accounts that I manually make can view or edit anything.

It's actually VERY convenient if you even just need to remember little scraps of information for later on. ATM, I'm using it for a couple things, including creating a mindmap/reference that I can use when I'm done with training and out on my own in the real world, saving random useful links, and coordinating the organizing of a conference.

DokuWiki is very versatile and you can do whatever you want with it...

• Waiting for overdue emails...

• DNS+pay the invoice when the email notification comes if it's still in use.

• BK_BK_ Member

@hostingwizard_net

That's my current fail safe, which is happening way too often due to my forgetfulness :p

• I got myself a reseller account with a WHMCS license. All my vps's run either Virtualmin. DirectAdmin or CPanel. All are controlled through WHMCS. All domains are in WHMCS too.

• DokuWiki sounds interesting. How small can you get the install?

• @pubcrawler said: I actually keep a paper version in a mid sized hardbound notebook that stays with me / in my backpack.

Is it a LowEndNotebook ?

• @pubcrawler said: DokuWiki sounds interesting. How small can you get the install?

Size or RAM usage?
    In total, the VPS I'm using to host DokuWiki is using 10MB RAM (running APACHE). The pages are static and file size-wise, it's quite small. Mine is several hundred MB in size because I have uploaded several large files to it (another usage for DokuWiki - for temporarily storing files until you get home or permanently storing files for reference). My early backups (before I uploaded a bunch of files to store) were in the range of ~3MB. Restoring is as simple as untarring the .tar backup, making sure that APACHE is configured to follow .htaccess rules, and setting up the SSL in APACHE (if you so desire).

• blackblack Member

Google docs spreadsheet

• Is it a LowEndNotebook ?

Yeah it actually is. It's about 3/4 page size. Plus I buy them from a dollar style discount chain.

• Thanks for size info @user123. That's small enough to consider.