Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How can I truly test a performance comparison between two web servers? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How can I truly test a performance comparison between two web servers?

2»

Comments

• Well in my opinion, if you dump all your 20 sites to new server, then you'll hardly get to a point which site may be making the server slow. The best linear way ( may sound a bit off) is to break the sites in 4 chunks of 5 websites each.

Now get 4 small 4GB servers and start hosting those 5 sites on each. If some sites are identified to hit over a million mark as you said, you might want to put them in separate servers. Then manage and watch the performance and the problems reported on these servers. You will eventually be able to break down which chunk is creating problems, then separate out that chunk in to individual small VPS.

The benefit of such unit testing is obliviously lesser risk, if one site is pulling the server down, the others wont be affected. Secondly you can play safe with trying different configurations for Apache/Nginx/MySQL/SSL etc. individually on each server without affecting other sites.

Eventually, once you are able to pinpoint your coding bottleneck and optimized your site/s you will be able to host the sites on much lesser hardware without spending too much.

I've been doing it this way for over a decade and this really helps alot. Long and tedious... I think that's part of a SysAdmin's life ... Good luck!

• WSSWSS Member

Pingflood them both.