Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for suggestions on the forum
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for suggestions on the forum

96mb96mb Member
edited March 2013 in General

Hello all,

I have had this idea for almost a year now (first post here: http://www.96mb.com/forum/) and have a forum for 96MB for people to do reviews and discussions about VPS themselves (however not to compete against LET/LEB community since I really think LET/LEB and 96MB complimenting each other rather than competing), and the forum has been up and running for a while now at

http://forum.96mb.com

Obviously right now it has zero post since I never publicized it, but is there any thing in particular you are looking to have for the forum that is not there? Please feel free to offer any comments and suggestions.

Registration is open as well and I am looking for a few reputable members here to be the mods of the forum, if you are a supporter of 96MB and wants to do a little more for 96MB, here is your opportunity.

Again, I would kindly ask everyone not to consider the 96MB forum as any sort of competitor to LET/LEB (and WHT for that matter as well) and unfortunately I won't allow any post on 96MB forum that has the intention of attacking LET/LEB/WHT.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Will it email me when it's my birthday? :D

• DStroutDStrout Member
    edited March 2013

Just registered. Manual activation, for everyone's information.

• 96mb96mb Member

@MrObvious said: Will it email me when it's my birthday? :D

It is supposed to...if I can do everything right :)

• 96mb96mb Member

@DStrout said: Just registered. Manual activation, for everyone's information, and the admin user hasn't been online since February 25th. Not sure there's any point signing up.

Sorry I was just leaving it there to make sure it would run properly and all the backups are going as planned, I have just activated your account, let me know if you have any trouble using it.

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

Personally I feel that when a forum is broken down into as many subcategories as yours is, it seems to become very much like a ghost-town. There's too much to click and I personally find it off-putting. I usually stick to "Latest post" sections on forums like that, much similar to the way by default LET lists the most recent posts among all subforums.

That's jut a personal view, as I feel looking into subcategories (especially when there are so many) severely limits the amount of content at your instant disposal.

• 96mb96mb Member
    edited March 2013

@liamwithers said: Personally I feel that when a forum is broken down into as many subcategories as yours is, it seems to become very much like a ghost-town. There's too much to click and I personally find it off-putting. I usually stick to "Latest post" sections on forums like that, much similar to the way by default LET lists the most recent posts among all subforums.

Thanks, I will try to find something like that for myBB.

EDIT Found this plugin here http://mods.mybb.com/view/recent-posts-forum-index, installed and hopefully it will work.

• 96mb96mb Member

@Hassan said: Registered :)

Thanks, all users have registered should be activated by now, please let me know if you have trouble logging in. There are still some issues with the forum sending out emails, so I guess no one is getting any emails on registration so far, be assured I am working on it. I thought I fixed it during my testing but it looks like FAIL NO 1 for me.

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

Registered!

• wdqwdq Member

It's completely empty right now, but it looks like more users are pouring in.

• 96mb96mb Member

@wdq said: It's completely empty right now, but it looks like more users are pouring in.

Anyone wants to start the honor of being the first poster on the forum?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Well not to be a complete thread-stealing whore, but...

I started a forum last week as well. It runs IPBoard: http://www.vpsadvice.com

That site for several years had a static page with my vps advice. It's still there under "Advice" at the top, but I had a spare IPB license and thought I'd expand it to a full forum. Made a banner ad for NodePing since they were nice enough to give free use to LET members in exchange for links...if anyone else would like banners, let me know.

(Not that the audience is huge at this point or anything!)

• 96mb96mb Member

I have just added a Thank You button thanks to this add-in here:

http://mods.mybb.com/view/thank-you-like-system

If there is anything else you are looking to add, let me know.

Here is the current RAM and hard drive usage on the box hosting it:

free -m
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 121 116 4 0 27 55
    -/+ buffers/cache: 33 87
    Swap: 255 0 255

df -h
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/xvda1 5.0G 1.4G 3.3G 30% /
    tmpfs 61M 0 61M 0% /lib/init/rw
    udev 51M 24K 51M 1% /dev
    tmpfs 61M 4.0K 61M 1% /dev/shm

• 96mb96mb Member

@raindog308 said: Well not to be a complete thread-stealing whore, but...

I started a forum last week as well. It runs IPBoard: http://www.vpsadvice.com
    That site for several years had a static page with my vps advice. It's still there under "Advice" at the top, but I had a spare IPB license and thought I'd expand it to a full forum. Made a banner ad for NodePing since they were nice enough to give free use to LET members in exchange for links...if anyone else would like banners, let me know.
    (Not that the audience is huge at this point or anything!)

Great, I am really looking forward to see a few more forums that would be nice complements on LEB and LET, I will sign up with you momentarily.

@96mb said: Here is the current RAM and hard drive usage on the box hosting it:

You mean to say it's not hosted on 96mb? I feel violated.

• 96mb96mb Member

@liamwithers said: You mean to say it's not hosted on 96mb? I feel violated.

No, unfortunately this is hosted on a separate VPS from the main 96MB site, I think 96MB is a little bit stretching in terms of resources and although MyBB is relatively light, I honestly don't have enough confidence to get both of them running on the same VPS. However as you can see, this is definitely a low end box as well and if in case the main 96mb.com is down for any reason, it would be a nice announcement area also.

@96mb said: No, unfortunately this is hosted on a separate VPS from the main 96MB site, I think 96MB is a little bit stretching in terms of resources and although MyBB is relatively light, I honestly don't have enough confidence to get both of them running on the same VPS. However as you can see, this is definitely a low end box as well and if in case the main 96mb.com is down for any reason, it would be a nice announcement area also.

Was only pulling your leg :P. Nice to see it being run on a LEB though :)

• At least it isn't hosted on some mythical beast server in the secret lair at CC.

Well, maybe it is. It is hiding behind Cloudflare. :)

• 96mb96mb Member

@pubcrawler said: At least it isn't hosted on some mythical beast server in the secret lair at CC.

Unless you meant a beast server with 128MB of RAM and 5GB of HDD space :)

@pubcrawler said: Well, maybe it is. It is hiding behind Cloudflare. :)

Unfortunately although most of the VPS business owners take my reviews as an encouragement for them to do better/suggestions on where they can improve, 96MB has had several attacks when it was first launched after publishing some reviews and that is why it has to be hidden behind Cloudflare. I hope this is OK with you :)

@liamwithers said: Was only pulling your leg :P. Nice to see it being run on a LEB though :)

Thanks!

• marcmmarcm Member

@96mb - Just registered, looks like a great idea! Best of luck with the forum :-)

• 96mb96mb Member

Indeed it is a really good-looking site!

@marcm said: @96mb - Just registered, looks like a great idea! Best of luck with the forum :-)

Thanks @marcm, you seems always to be the guy with some great ideas, so if you have any good ideas about the forum, feel free to let me know as well!

To All: All users registered so far have been activated, if you can't login or anything feel free to drop me a PM.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I'll see if I can help contribute some. I need a second forum to split my free time ;)

• Joined. :)

• 96mb96mb Member

@jarland said: I'll see if I can help contribute some. I need a second forum to split my free time ;)

Thanks @jarland, @jarland has agreed to be the first mod on the forum!

Thanks!

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@96mb said: first mod on the forum!

And everyone said.... "Ah nevermind" ;)

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

This is interesting, apparently I got banned? I don't recall spamming.
    Your forum account is currently banned. Ban Reason: Automatically banned by the Akismet system for spamming

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I will get signed up happy to see you decided to launch.

• tommytommy Member

finally someone build another forum :D, time to sign up

• I know it's hard to get domains that are short and meaningful like 96mb.com, but I think having your forum on a separate domain like LET would be nice. It just feels so much easier than "/forum" or "forum."