Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are the requirements for creating a website like Serverpilot(dot)io
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What are the requirements for creating a website like Serverpilot(dot)io

Hello everyone,
some of you might know the serverpilot website which is one click app installer for digitalocean VPS.
my question is what are the requirements for creating such site with backend functionality. I mean what programming languages should someone learn. How much might it cost for creating a site with exact functionality?

Advance Thank you, Please write some knowledgeful answers.

Thanked by 1sammysummer

Comments

• I created some part of it (working installer and new app, installer, ssl etc) But threw it away to learn more before working on it anyfurther. So from my knowledge, you need to have some security background for peeps to trust you. Programming knowledge (of course). You can do it with your preferred lang (PHP in my case) and server administration skills.

I went to learn nodejs and rewrite it. Since I am so confused to do it via nodejs or php, I sometimes write for both. Hope that helps.

Thanked by 1Tumbleguy1
  • CouponSEMCouponSEM Member
    edited August 2017

@jetchirag said:
    I created some part of it (working installer and new app, installer, ssl etc) But threw it away to learn more before working on it anyfurther. So from my knowledge, you need to have some security background for peeps to trust you. Programming knowledge (of course). You can do it with your preferred lang (PHP in my case) and server administration skills.

I went to learn nodejs and rewrite it. Since I am so confused to do it via nodejs or php, I sometimes write for both. Hope that helps.

Thank you so much for your reply

1. Can you please say more "terminologies", just like you wrote server administration skills.

2. Where to begin with, for a "complete newbie" who have no idea even about those words & from a complete background.

• mkshmksh Member

Where to begin? Well, thats easy and hard at the same time. Start aquiring some skills. Like, get a server and learn how to administerate and secure it. Choose a language and learn to write code. Basically just start. You just have to realize it will take quite a bit of time until you are going to design a whole project and have it working out nicely in the end.

As for costs. Well, a server to play around with is going to cost you at least like 30€/month. For the the other stuff it depends how much you value your time. If you are starting at zero thats going to be the biggest part.

Thanked by 1CouponSEM
  • rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

mksh said: a server to play around with is going to cost you at least like 30€/month

Or just a self-hosted vm to develop/learn on (virtualbox or similar), free

Thanked by 3WSS Aidan CouponSEM
  • WSSWSS Member

Installing Linux is free. So is Xen, KVM, and OpenVZ.

Thanked by 1CouponSEM
  • mkshmksh Member

@rsk said:

mksh said: a server to play around with is going to cost you at least like 30€/month

Or just a self-hosted vm to develop/learn on (virtualbox or similar), free

True. For the most part thats identical to a real server. Just the networking will feel a bit unnatural unless you mess around with bridging. Also thrill might be lacking. Why secure the server when there are no attacks coming anyways? ;) Very good starting point though.

• Your website is as ugly as your signature. Read the rules, you lazy pleb.

Thanked by 2Tom jh
  • CouponSEMCouponSEM Member
    edited August 2017

@doghouch said:
    Your website is as ugly as your signature. Read the rules, you lazy pleb.

thanks, shortened it down :)

And Thank you all for your valuable replies :)

• serverpilot install script is written in python.

Not sure what they use at their website end.

Thanked by 1CouponSEM
  • jhjh Member

Here are my affiliate links. Please insert relevant keywords below.

• I'd recommend the following three -

Bitnami as they have lots of applications supported and lots of methods to install them. Bitnami is also open source so you can mess around with the code to see how it works. - Or implement it into your own application as we have done.

Also another technology you might find useful is Chef, Chef allows you to create chef cookbooks in order to setup a server in a desired way.

And finally, but not least is Docker - Docker helps you package a set of applications into a container - which can then be relaunched as it's own instance easily.

Thanked by 2CouponSEM Tumbleguy1
  • @mksh said:
    Where to begin? Well, thats easy and hard at the same time. Start aquiring some skills. Like, get a server and learn how to administerate and secure it. Choose a language and learn to write code. Basically just start. You just have to realize it will take quite a bit of time until you are going to design a whole project and have it working out nicely in the end.

As for costs. Well, a server to play around with is going to cost you at least like 30€/month. For the the other stuff it depends how much you value your time. If you are starting at zero thats going to be the biggest part.

I have had same type of journey lately which made me a decent programmer and it took 8 months.

To OP , you can make same type of website but just start with a programming language like Java, php, c# , node, puython etc...

Just keep a project and gather data and solve issue for that and watch after 5-6 months not before that..

And as everyone said - you need Linux administrative skills as we in order to secure and do other stuffs without much pain and bug.

Good luck OP.

• DanSummerDanSummer Member
    edited October 2018

@sammysummer said:
    Hello:)
    I suggest that you take your time and test out a few website builders from this list . I love the way Wix works and looks. It's free but offers a possibility to upgrade. If you need to set up an online store, then I'd suggest that you use Shopify."

did you even read the post? he was asking for something to manage a server,not a website builder. Besides, the topic is over a year old but I think you know that already and you registered yesterday just to post a link to your shitty site.

This discussion has been closed.