Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does Enginetron have 100% full benefits of NGINX on my server? And does it require NGINX config?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Does Enginetron have 100% full benefits of NGINX on my server? And does it require NGINX config?

I googled how to install NGINX + Apache together on my cPanel on my new server. I decided it is a long time coming and I wanted to install NGINX so I could have a way faster web server especially under heavy load.

So when I googled it I discovered Enginetron which plugs right into cPanel. I already installed it on SSH.

My question is does Enginetron have the full 100% performance benefits of NGINX as if I had just installed NGINX on my server?

Also my other question is, since this plugs right in as a "reverse proxy" as they call it, along with Apache without removing apache, is there additional NGINX to get mod_write or other .htaccess functions to work properly?

Enginetron documentation:
https://github.com/engintron/engintron

Comments

• The general rule is that NGINX on the front end is better able to deal with lots of connections, and more efficiently. Apache at the back end is generally for backwards compatibility, as a lot of stuff is built with .htaccess rules and the like.

I doubt there's anything much more specific wrt that software you mention, NGINX is at the front end and proxying requests to Apache.

Thanked by 1hanoi
  • Thanked by 1Jorbox
  • @ricardo said:
    The general rule is that NGINX on the front end is better able to deal with lots of connections, and more efficiently. Apache at the back end is generally for backwards compatibility, as a lot of stuff is built with .htaccess rules and the like.

I doubt there's anything much more specific wrt that software you mention, NGINX is at the front end and proxying requests to Apache.

So does this mean that with this software provides the full power of NGINX with no configuration? Is this a truly sounds too good to be true but really is true?? 10 seconds install and I could have done it years ago??

• Using is since 4 monthes and its simple perfict , not only that you can assign an ip to a spific domain and you can turn off the caching for one domain,, it drops the load a lot and can handle millions of visitors easliy the servers becomes a monster after installing it and yes you can install it in 10s and everything will be setuped ,,, the only drowback you need to restart the plugin after adding ssl to any domain,, and I hope they fix that soon.

• lnx1001lnx1001 Member
    edited August 2017

@Jorbox said:
    Using is since 4 monthes and its simple perfict , not only that you can assign an ip to a spific domain and you can turn off the caching for one domain,, it drops the load a lot and can handle millions of visitors easliy the servers becomes a monster after installing it and yes you can install it in 10s and everything will be setuped ,,, the only drowback you need to restart the plugin after adding ssl to any domain,, and I hope they fix that soon.

Wow... if you're right that would be amazing...

Would like to hear some others confirm this (especially those who can spell ;))

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Engintron doesn't really work (in an automated way) with Cloudflare / reverse proxies, especially when you have a large number of dedicated IPs. There were also a number of hurdles to consider when setting it up.

It would be a good plugin otherwise.

Alexander

Thanked by 1lnx1001
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

It works great, but there are some minor problems once in awhile in a large environment. I'll just be glad if/when cPanel adds Nginx support directly.

Thanked by 1lnx1001
  • HxxxHxxx Member

@MikeA it will eventually go there. You know how is cPanel and their development... One 1/4 step at a time.

@Hxxx said:
    @MikeA it will eventually go there. You know how is cPanel and their development... One 1/4 step at a time.

Here's something from 2 months ago from a cPanel team member about Nginx support;
    https://features.cpanel.net/topic/as-a-server-administrator-i-want-standalone-nginx-supported-as-an-alternative-to-apache-so-that-i-can-offer-faster-speed-and-lower-load-on-smallers-servers#comment-52311

So by that it sounds like it'll be coming within the next 6-12 months.

• @lnx1001 said:

@Jorbox said:
    Using is since 4 monthes and its simple perfict , not only that you can assign an ip to a spific domain and you can turn off the caching for one domain,, it drops the load a lot and can handle millions of visitors easliy the servers becomes a monster after installing it and yes you can install it in 10s and everything will be setuped ,,, the only drowback you need to restart the plugin after adding ssl to any domain,, and I hope they fix that soon.

Wow... if you're right that would be amazing...

Would like to hear some others confirm this (especially those who can spell ;))

No need to speak with someone who can spell if you understanded what I've said :)

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • @AlexanderM said:
    Engintron doesn't really work (in an automated way) with Cloudflare / reverse proxies, especially when you have a large number of dedicated IPs. There were also a number of hurdles to consider when setting it up.

It would be a good plugin otherwise.

Alexander

It works will with cloudflare
    And you han have as many ips as you want
    You have a config file to attach a host to an ip

• ZerpyZerpy Member
    edited August 2017

@Hxxx said:

There's two general reasons for that:

• They're working on a 20 year old codebase, touch one thing, break 10 others - this results in iterations being super small to ensure software keeps working, and in cases like backup, and easyapache just completely rewriting the engine from ground up and plug it in.

• If cPanel makes a mistake, it can affect an enormous amount of customers, they have to ensure the software works for servers with 1 customer on it, and servers with 10k customers on it.

Software development isn't exactly easy if millions of websites depend on it ;)

Thanked by 2MikeA jar
  • lnx1001 said: especially those who can spell ;)

Avada Kedavra

Thanked by 1msg7086
  • @MikeA said:

@Hxxx said:

Here's something from 2 months ago from a cPanel team member about Nginx support;
    https://features.cpanel.net/topic/as-a-server-administrator-i-want-standalone-nginx-supported-as-an-alternative-to-apache-so-that-i-can-offer-faster-speed-and-lower-load-on-smallers-servers#comment-52311

Would require to update cpanel and since cpanel removed x3 theme forcing retarded "paper lantern" horrific theme last year, 75% of cpanel userbase no longer can receive cpanel updates else lose x3 theme, which is the only reason to use cpanel.

• @lnx1001 said:

@ricardo said:
    The general rule is that NGINX on the front end is better able to deal with lots of connections, and more efficiently. Apache at the back end is generally for backwards compatibility, as a lot of stuff is built with .htaccess rules and the like.

So does this mean that with this software provides the full power of NGINX with no configuration? Is this a truly sounds too good to be true but really is true?? 10 seconds install and I could have done it years ago??

edited August 2017

@lnx1001 said:

@MikeA said:

@Hxxx said:

Would require to update cpanel and since cpanel removed x3 theme forcing retarded "paper lantern" horrific theme last year, 75% of cpanel userbase no longer can receive cpanel updates else lose x3 theme, which is the only reason to use cpanel.

Why would anyone want to use the old x3 theme? Wasn't it created like 10 years ago? The new one was meant to be responsive and more lightweight pretty sure..

• lnx1001lnx1001 Member
    edited August 2017

@MikeA said:

@lnx1001 said:

@MikeA said:

@Hxxx said:

Why would anyone want to use the old x3 theme? Wasn't it created like 10 years ago? The new one was meant to be responsive and more lightweight I believe.

Why would anyone want to use the piece of crap paper lantern abomination? Wasn't it designed by total incompetent retards?

The new one is a total piece of garbage, No one wants that piece of crap responsive theme.

• @lnx1001 said:
    The new one is a total piece of garbage, No one wants that piece of crap responsive theme.

The good thing about Paper lantern is that you can easily customize it or create a new theme on top of it :-) Get rockin' ;)

Also there's a x3 style in Paper lantern.

@lnx1001 said:
    Why would anyone want to use the piece of crap paper lantern abomination? Wasn't it designed by total incompetent retards?

Why would anyone want to use CentOS 7 when there is CentOS 5?

• @MikeA said:
    Why would anyone want to use CentOS 7 when there is CentOS 5?

scientific linux rocks the most.

• Zerpy said: scientific linux rocks the most.

Linux from scratch kicks all asses!!!!!

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

lnx1001 said: Why would anyone want to use the piece of crap paper lantern abomination? Wasn't it designed by total incompetent retards?

Because it's a beautiful and functional update that was long deserved. Can't be true that no one wants it when I want it, love it, and use it.

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • HxxxHxxx Member

@jarland Just logged into mxroute.... Yeah idling account. What a beautiful cPanel theme. Good job.

Thanked by 1jar
  • lnx1001lnx1001 Member
    edited August 2017

@jarland said:

lnx1001 said: Why would anyone want to use the piece of crap paper lantern abomination? Wasn't it designed by total incompetent retards?

Because it's a beautiful and functional update that was long deserved. Can't be true that no one wants it when I want it, love it, and use it.

You either work for them or are stupid. That is the worst abomination piece of crap to ever hit any software, and the forced update made it lucky that the developers were not murdered in their sleep by pissed customers.

Also, paper sh*tturd has zero customization abilities unlike x3 which I still use and x3 is perfect and never gave me any problems. I love x3 as does 97% of the userbase based on polls. If I ever have to upgrade cpanel, I will leave them forever. Only reason I am still on cpanel is because I was able to force BLOCK all cpanel upgrades to keep x3 theme.

• Anyway we are WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY off topic as cpanel junk has NOTHING to do with this topic.

• HxxxHxxx Member

Shut up. (Hoping you get triggered and make drama)

@lnx1001 said:
    Anyway we are WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY off topic as cpanel junk has NOTHING to do with this topic.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited August 2017

lnx1001 said: You either work for them or are stupid

When someone doesn't agree with you about the design of a control panel you think it's appropriate to insult them like that? Enjoy your time out.

Feel free to look up where I work, ya jerk. Nothing anonymous about my name.

Thanked by 2FlamesRunner MikePT
  • @jarland said:

lnx1001 said: You either work for them or are stupid

When someone doesn't agree with you about the design of a control panel you think it's appropriate to insult them like that? Enjoy your time out.

Feel free to look up where I work, ya jerk. Nothing anonymous about my name.

Based on your name, I'd say you work in the land of jars!

Thanked by 1jar
  • LeL. Thread owner get banned from forum hahahaha,

• lnx1001lnx1001 Member
    edited August 2017

Back on topic, just wanted to follow up. New server with NGINX using enginetron with ZERO config (10 second install, waited a few minutes for install to complete, that's it) definitely has noticeable performance improvement, and the websites now show "NGINX" as the web protocol so yes NGINX is installed, wonderful. I want to try it on my production server now.