Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did we abolish provider tag rule, or why is @Breezehost allowed to continue selling on the forums?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Did we abolish provider tag rule, or why is @Breezehost allowed to continue selling on the forums?

As title says, I keep seeing @Breezehost commenting his offers/spamming his sig on nearly every topic lately..

Comments

• NekkiNekki Veteran

stefeman said: As title says, I keep seeing @Breezehost commenting his offers/spamming his sig on nearly every topic lately..

Rules - read them.

Thanked by 2Aidan netomx
  • mkshmksh Member

If i am not mistaken answering requests is allowed even without provider tag. Having said that they sure seem quite spammy. Plastering their offers with little regard to what was actually requested...

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Don't think the mods don't see what people are doing. Maybe there's a reason they don't have a provider tag already?

• @Nekki said:
    Don't think the mods don't see what people are doing. Maybe there's a reason they don't have a provider tag already?

What's the benefit of that tag when you can already spam?

Thanked by 2maverickp Pwner
  • stefemanstefeman Member
    edited August 2017

Some guy asks of asia dedi and this guy answers his copy paste reply: "Sure we can provide you an EU VPS" with his sig thats 3x longer than his reply rofl.

If the host is so visible here, surely he should have a provider tag or are we all allowed to do this?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

jetchirag said: What's the benefit of that tag when you can already spam?

No ability to make offer posts.

stefeman said: Some guy asks of asia dedi and this guy answers his copy paste reply: "Sure we can provide you an EU VPS" with his sig thats 3x longer than his reply rofl.

Then flag those posts, give the mods the evidence.

• rocketrocket Member
    edited August 2017

Same with offers through DM. I got offers from @SolidxGaming via private message who also doesn't have a provider tag due to my request thread.

If they CBA to get a provider tag they shouldn't be allowed to make offers at all.

Thanked by 1corbpie
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

rocket said: Same with offers through DM. I got offers from @SolidxGaming via private message who also doesn't have a provider tag due to my request thread.

If they CBA to get a provider tag they shouldn't be allowed to make offers at all.

Here's an idea - if the tag means so much to you, simply don't buy from anyone without one. If you've got a request thread, make it clear that you're not interested in offers from anyone without the tag.

These people don't need to be banned, just don't buy from them and let them waste their time.

• mkshmksh Member

I dont really care for the tag but these guys are simply spammers. Latest example: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2343734/#Comment_2343734 Even quotes the post asking for EU then offers US.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@mksh said:
    I dont really care for the tag but these guys are simply spammers. Latest example: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2343734/#Comment_2343734 Even quotes the post asking for EU then offers US.

Then flag. The mods will deal with people like that.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Nekki said: Here's an idea - if the tag means so much to you, simply don't buy from anyone without one.

The provider tag means that Jarland & co at least spent a bit of time looking into them to see if it's kosher or not.

That Josh kid has had multiple names on here without provider tags and was messaging people trying to "sell" them crap.

While the OP and others may be able to spot the missing tag or do their due diligence, there's many people that see a cheap offer and try to cram their wallet through the screen.

Francisco

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Francisco said: While the OP and others may be able to spot the missing tag or do their due diligence, there's many people that see a cheap offer and try to cram their wallet through the screen.

LET doesn't exist to babysit people who are prepared to throw their money at someone across the internet without doing any research first.

Thanked by 4rocket WSS alown NodePing
  • @Nekki said:

Francisco said: While the OP and others may be able to spot the missing tag or do their due diligence, there's many people that see a cheap offer and try to cram their wallet through the screen.

LET doesn't exist to babysit people who are prepared to throw their money at someone across the internet without doing any research first.

I'm sorry but with all due respect, @Nekki. The well being of this community rest upon us, we as regular and senior members here, must protect the many new comers who may fall victims to these unscrupulous sellers.

@Francisco is right, the provider tag is extremely useful to distinguish between those who actually took the time to go through the proper process to get certified, and those that are only hear to spam.

We need to keep these spammers away if they fail to comply with the rules written on this forum.

Cheers!

Thanked by 1miniswift
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

IAlwaysBeCoding said: I'm sorry but with all due respect, @Nekki. The well being of this community rest upon us, we as regular and senior members here, must protect the many new comers who may fall victims to these unscrupulous sellers.

You've completely missed the point of the conversation.

Thanked by 1switsys

@Nekki said:

You're right, but its in the communities best interest to not let it eat itself alive with pedoscammers and the likes.

This community is small so it isn't like WHT where some scammers running through the place doesn't hurt its image. You let a few Pedoscammers run through here a few more times and no ones going to trust another colocation/RTO deal again.

Franicsco

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Francisco said: You're right, but its in the communities best interest to not let it eat itself alive with pedoscammers and the likes.

This community is small so it isn't like WHT where some scammers running through the place doesn't hurt its image. You let a few Pedoscammers run through here a few more times and no ones going to trust another colocation/RTO deal again.

No-one's disputing that the community shouldn't rip people like Prouty a new one.

• Nekki said: Here's an idea - if the tag means so much to you, simply don't buy from anyone without one. If you've got a request thread, make it clear that you're not interested in offers from anyone without the tag.

I wouldn't purchase from them, no.

Francisco said: The provider tag means that Jarland & co at least spent a bit of time looking into them to see if it's kosher or not.

This pretty much ^

Nekki said: LET doesn't exist to babysit people who are prepared to throw their money at someone across the internet without doing any research first.

I'm pretty sure (or hope) most of us will check the provider out before buying anything, but like Francisco said it's the extra validation from the admins who've seen it all. For example if Prout sets up shop then it's normally Jarland who shuts him down before anything is done

@Nekki said:

Francisco said: You're right, but its in the communities best interest to not let it eat itself alive with pedoscammers and the likes.

No-one's disputing that the community shouldn't rip people like Prouty a new one.

The provider tag is a very small, but helpful way, to spot PedoProut's in the making.

It's a very simple process to gain the tag, usually just message a mod/admin and they'll vet you. If they don't clear you, there's a good reason.

Honestly, @jarland, it may be worth it to start flagging hosts that failed vetting.

Francisco

Thanked by 2miniswift caracal
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

Francisco said: Honestly, @jarland, it may be worth it to start flagging hosts that failed vetting.

That is an excellent idea.

Thanked by 2Francisco caracal
  • edited August 2017

@Nekki said:

IAlwaysBeCoding said: I'm sorry but with all due respect, @Nekki. The well being of this community rest upon us, we as regular and senior members here, must protect the many new comers who may fall victims to these unscrupulous sellers.

You've completely missed the point of the conversation.

NO, you did!

You've been here since 2011, and have visited the forum over 18k times. It is obvious you can't relate to the new comers who you think should be at your level. You roam this place day and night, and your presence is felt heavily around here, besides you post in every other thread. This means that you've seen more stuff happen here, than probably 99% of the forum members here.

What you are describing people to do does not make any sense. Nobody has all the time in the world to hang around LET posting in every thread like you and I. In fact, not everyone opens a thread asking for their "dream server".

The average LET comes here because they have been referred by others, or landed here from a simple google search. They are here to get a good deal on a vps/dedi/shared hosting, they have a low budget and are trying to get something quick and easy.

Ain't nobody got time like you and I to do "due diligence" and spend months comparing and looking up post history of certain posters here.

The provider tag provides that for the 95-99% of LET members, it allows people to see who is a provider and verified by the forum to provide services. If we do what you are saying, we will be left with a 1-5% of the community because those are the only ones spending their whole time here posting and chilling here while doing their "due diligence".

Thanked by 1miniswift
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2017

That escalated quickly.

I flagged their posts a few times, unsure if there was a reaction, but it looks like they are still around.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited August 2017

IAlwaysBeCoding said: NO, you did!

Yup, you've missed the point.

I don't think there's any issue with the community outing shifty providers. I think it's a good thing and should be encouraged.

The discussion is about whether providers can make offers to people without a tag. Two different topics.

IAlwaysBeCoding said: Ain't nobody got time like you and I to do "due diligence" and spend months comparing and looking up post history of certain posters here.

If you give your money to someone without doing your homework, then you clearly don't care about your money. If you don't care about it, then why should anyone else.

I don't care about my money, so I spend very little time doing due diligence, but the very little I do is clearly mostly enough, I've lost about $20 in the last 6 years.

Thanked by 2iKeyZ elofty
  • yokowasisyokowasis Member
    edited August 2017

I am with @nekki and @jarland in this case. Replying doesn't need Provider Tag. Provider tag or not, If someone is spamming, flag him. The mods will take care care of it. If he is a spammer, provider tagged or not, he will keep spamming. Having a provider tag doesn't mean you can spam in people thread. I believe if @francisco is spamming on people thread and post irrelevant offer, he will be banned to oblivion, regardless of his "Top Provider" Tag.

Doing due diligence is easy on Lowendtalk. Just open a thread and asking a review about a provider. The community will help you. Also there is always lowendbox.com, where you can see the background of the provider who provide the offer.

Thanked by 3Francisco jar Nekki
  • doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited August 2017

@yokowasis Apart from the occasional beating, LET is a relatively friendly place. Threads asking about a host usually get pretty ugly.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

I think everyone in this thread needs to grab a slice... link in sig

Provider tag doesn't mean much if I, or anyone else, can shill for Big Daddy Fran or any other host.

I honestly think the quarterly provider poll is super valuable for showing people who the decent hosts are. And even when some sketchy ones slip through the cracks, there are dozens who come out and warn folks if something looks too good.

But at the end of the day we're all big boys and girls and need to do some due diligence before handing over a serious amount of money. I'm more willing to gamble so sometimes I lose, but other times you get a decent deal that doesn't disappear in 3-6 months.

Thanked by 3alown WSS Cam
  • rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

I actually wanted to say something about this, but I figured he would spam so much that it would be obvious to the mods :)

Thanked by 1corbpie
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@Francisco said:
    It's a very simple process to gain the tag, usually just message a mod/admin and they'll vet you. If they don't clear you, there's a good reason.

Please don't do this, it's actually in the rules that you'll likely be denied/more time taken if this happens. We have the ticketing system for this :)

@stefeman and any other regular members here, if you feel like we have missed something like this and you've flagged it then please PM one of us or submit a ticket so we can evaluate. Sometimes we miss patterns (like in this case) just because of the sheer amount of content on here.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited August 2017

Francisco said: The provider tag means that Jarland & co at least spent a bit of time looking into them to see if it's kosher or not.

To be clear, it doesn't mean that. I'm strongly opposed to our team becoming curators of quality or legitimacy, or anything of that nature. I think it opens us up to filtering hosts by preference and it opens us up to acts of favoritism (which may be unconscious).

Provider tag simply means able to post offer threads and nothing more. If someone feels super spammy, report a post or two and we'll take a look. If I look at their comments and just see endless thread bumping with advertisements, I'll ban because that fits a bare minimum definition of spamming to me.

PM offers are fine, but it should be evident what your company is. If you get a PM from "Xhost" who obviously represents "Xhost.com" then I don't care. If you get a PM from "marxismylover" who has no signature, no reasonably clear data that I can quickly find on their account to know what host they are, they can GTFO. I swear half the time that person is selling a slot on their proxmox installation with OVH to subsidize the dedi they bought but didn't need, and isn't even a host.

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • WSSWSS Member

I don't want to do any business with anyone Marxist, personally.

Thanked by 1quick
  • SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

@jarland you can try and defend that behaviour all you like but .... it's perfectly fair to do a bit of QC IMHO providing that it's justified and transparent. Good Work!