Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you use to handling automated backup of multiple servers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you use to handling automated backup of multiple servers?

Currently my backup solution is rsnapshot. Rsnapshot has served my purpose well, but it have not been updated for some time, so I'm looking for another solution to replace it.

• Incremental/delta snapshot backup is required.
  • Dedup is optional but nice to have.
  • All of my servers are Linux, and I will not be having windows servers, so there's no need to worry about that.
  • Will be nice to have a centralized web control/status panel.
  • Looking for more of a free/open source solution, though I might consider commercialized if it isn't too expensive.

Recommendations are appreciated, thanks! For peeps using bareos, how is it?

Comments

• cdp.me ?

• @mgilang said:
    cdp.me ?

I've actually checked it out, the last update was Oct 2015 though. How was your experience with it?

• I use amanda.

Although I don't know of any web interfaces that it has (if any).

• @alexyaoyang said:
    Currently my backup solution is rsnapshot. Rsnapshot has served my purpose well, but it have not been updated for some time, so I'm looking for another solution to replace it.

Why replace something that is working fine for you? or are you experiencing issues with it?

• @TommyC said:
    I use amanda.

Although I don't know of any web interfaces that it has (if any).

Hmm okay I will check Amanda out, thanks!

• @zafouhar said:

@alexyaoyang said:

Why replace something that is working fine for you? or are you experiencing issues with it?

That's a good question, well since it is not getting updated, as OS/other software gets updated it might start breaking, security concerns, etc. So I decided that now's a good time to start looking for alternatives.

• I use duplicity for historical backups (to a Google Cloud Nearline bucket, GPG encrypted) and rclone for mirroring (also to a Nearline bucket).

One negative is there's no overall backup status or dashboard, but it's cheap and it works.

• imokimok Member
    edited August 2017

BackupPC, backup and restore files from a SpeedyKVM VPS. Works fine.

• seanhoseanho Member
    edited August 2017

Lots of folks here using borg. I use burp since I need good support for both Linux and Windows clients.

[edit: added links]

• Check BackupNinja

Thanked by 1szarka
  • alexyaoyangalexyaoyang Member
    edited August 2017

@jaden said:
    I use duplicity for historical backups (to a Google Cloud Nearline bucket, GPG encrypted) and rclone for mirroring (also to a Nearline bucket).

One negative is there's no overall backup status or dashboard, but it's cheap and it works.

@imok said:
    BackupPC, backup and restore files from a SpeedyKVM VPS. Works fine.

@seanho said:
    Lots of folks here using borg. I use burp since I need good support for both Linux and Windows clients.

[edit: added links]

@nqservices said:
    Check BackupNinja

Thanks for all the suggestions, will check them out over the weekends!

• alexyaoyang said: I've actually checked it out, the last update was Oct 2015 though. How was your experience with it?

used cdp.me last year, it works well, but just for short project.

• @mgilang said:
    cdp.me ?

You mean the software that exposes a json file to the public interwebs with your server passwords in cleartext?

Suureee

Thanked by 1Tom
  • Because Im currently also looking into which software to use: Anybody has any impressions of UrBackup?

• MagicalTrainMagicalTrain Member
    edited August 2017

Because Im currently also looking into which software to use: Anybody has any impressions of UrBackup?

Edit: Still online over mobile connection... Guess it posted twice.

• I looked for a backup system for a while, for 20-30 servers.

I ended up going with Duplicati (the 2.0 Beta). It doesn't have centralized config, but I install it via Anisble.

I push a little script with all the details (backup location, password, email settings, etc) and then a cronjob to run at night.

It does encryption, incremental, supports a bunch of locations (gdrive, s3, b2, etc).

It installs a neat little web interface if you don't want to do a CLI backup, and restores were really cool, you can pick specific files from specific days and restore them from any machine running duplicati. I'm very happy with it.

Thanked by 1szarka
  • @MagicalTrain said:
    Because Im currently also looking into which software to use: Anybody has any impressions of UrBackup?

I trialled urbackup a number of years ago, after giving up on BackupPC and before going with burp. I don't remember what turned me off of it, maybe it had to do with Windows support. I can look up my old notes if you like.

• @Seanho currently looking into either burp (with burp-ui), backuppc, urbackup or elkarbackup.

If its too much of a bother, you dont need to specifically rummage through your old notes. Ill probably end up installing test nodes of each anyway (unless somebody has big concerns with any of them).

• @MagicalTrain said:
    @Seanho currently looking into either ... urbackup or elkarbackup.

Both look good. elkarbackup web interface looks really great! Anyone using any of them?

• @MagicalTrain said:
    @Seanho currently looking into either burp (with burp-ui), backuppc, urbackup or elkarbackup.

If its too much of a bother, you dont need to specifically rummage through your old notes. Ill probably end up installing test nodes of each anyway (unless somebody has big concerns with any of them).

That's a prudent plan of action. Backups are important; take your time and choose something you could settle with for the long-term. And by all means, test out a full bare-metal restore!

Just to note, burp-ui is under active development and still a bit buggy (but I still use it). I would recommend burp2 format for the block-level dedup. BackupPC is old and written in Perl; whether that is good or bad depends on your point of view....

But: you say all your clients are Linux; I don't see why you wouldn't go with one of the more highly recommended Linux options like duplicati or borg. I haven't extensively tested borg, but from what people say about it, it sounds like a better feature set than burp (apart from good Windows support).

edited August 2017

@Seanho

I do generally like duplicati, but for my backup solution I want one central server from which to control my backups from.(pull vs push basically) With possible duplication to a secondary backup server, but that if a software that does the first one really well, I can take care of the second part via scripts and cronjobs. (as it would only be "1" server to care of after all)

• @MagicalTrain said:
    @Seanho
    With possible duplication to a secondary backup server...

https://github.com/elkarbackup/elkarbackup/wiki/RedundantBackup

• @MagicalTrain said:
    @Seanho

I do generally like duplicati, but for my backup solution I want one central server from which to control my backups from.(pull vs push basically) With possible duplication to a secondary backup server, but that if a software that does the first one really well, I can take care of the second part via scripts and cronjobs. (as it would only be "1" server to care of after all)

Yeah, I hear you on the central trusted backup server; that's how I'm using burp right now. I can queue backups from the server, and they get run the next time the client checks in. There is something to be said for the untrusted server model, though -- no single point of failure.

edited August 2017

@seanho said:

@MagicalTrain said:
    @Seanho

Yeah, I hear you on the central trusted backup server; that's how I'm using burp right now. I can queue backups from the server, and they get run the next time the client checks in. There is something to be said for the untrusted server model, though -- no single point of failure.

I understand that, but, imo, backups are enough of a pain in the ass that I want to at least give me this little bit of comfort. Having a secondary replicated backup server should take care of any freaky freakouts that may happen.

@nqservices yeah, I saw that. elkar is currently the first one Im testing. The default install isnt all too secure though.

• Really surprised no one mentioned https://syncthing.net

I use it for 1 VPS, you could use it for as many as you want. I set it up to back up 1 VPS to home Windows PC but have run it previously with 1 VPS to 1 backup VPS.

Thanked by 1szarka
  • @sidewinder said:
    Really surprised no one mentioned https://syncthing.net

I use it for 1 VPS, you could use it for as many as you want. I set it up to back up 1 VPS to home Windows PC but have run it previously with 1 VPS to 1 backup VPS.

WOW THANKS, this reminds me of the old bittorrent sync,

I was using bittorrent sync to have a mirror of a small vps to my home pc,

even used it to sync three dns servers..

going to have fun with this..

• @sidewinder said:

Looks interesting—especially because it also supports Android. I actually had this in my bookmarks, but hadn't found time to play with it. The GUI is optional and you can do everything with config files and shell commands, right?

• @szarka said:

@sidewinder said:

Looks interesting—especially because it also supports Android. I actually had this in my bookmarks, but hadn't found time to play with it. The GUI is optional and you can do everything with config files and shell commands, right?

I am pretty certain this true, but not sure.

I heard about it here in these forums and there was a decent thread about surprised no one mentioned it.

ElkarBackup looks good but I think Synching is in active development is battle tested

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

After not finding anything we liked we actually built our own system. In our case it's an ansible role for configuring backup, an ansible deployed backup server and a monitoring agent that sends out once a day a backup summary.

Makes it easy to add backups to a server, which in turn helps ensure that every server gets backups made.

• @sidewinder said:

what happen if someone delete files from 'master' or you want to restore let say data from 3 month ago?

Last time I use synthing it doesn't support file history or incremental backup