Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beta Test NVMe UK Hourly - prem de la prem - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Beta Test NVMe UK Hourly - prem de la prem

Comments

• Regarding the sign up email - I don't think there was a notification stating that you needed to activate your email before proceeding.

I later found the email, although it wasn't sorted into primary/updates on my google apps email - Had to delve into the depths of 'all mail' to retrieve it.

Other than that, everything looks nice and clean - I'm liking it so far. I'll update if there's any other shenanigans afoot.

Thanked by 1vmhaus
  • An obligatory benchmark, so far very impressed.

-------------------------------------------------
     nench.sh v2017.06.01 -- https://git.io/nench.sh
     benchmark timestamp:    2017-08-10 16:49:13 UTC

Processor:    Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 v6 @ 3.80GHz
    CPU cores:    1
    Frequency:    3792.048 MHz
    RAM:          485M
    Swap:         -
    Kernel:       Linux 4.10.0-28-generic x86_64

Disks:
    vda     10G  HDD

CPU: SHA256-hashing 500 MB
        2.323 seconds
    CPU: bzip2-compressing 500 MB
        3.827 seconds
    CPU: AES-encrypting 500 MB
        0.738 seconds

ioping: seek rate
        min/avg/max/mdev = 14.9 us / 23.7 us / 5.60 ms / 45.7 us
    ioping: sequential read speed
        generated 73.6 k requests in 5.00 s, 18.0 GiB, 14.7 k iops, 3.59 GiB/s

dd: sequential write speed
        1st run:    737.19 MiB/s
        2nd run:    760.08 MiB/s
        3rd run:    735.28 MiB/s
        average:    744.18 MiB/s

IPv4 speedtests
        your IPv4:    185.214.69.xxxx

Cachefly CDN:         110.36 MiB/s
        Leaseweb (NL):        93.93 MiB/s
        Softlayer DAL (US):   8.40 MiB/s
        Online.net (FR):      73.77 MiB/s
        OVH BHS (CA):         9.70 MiB/s

IPv6 speedtests
        your IPv6:    2a06:82c2:0:xxxx

Leaseweb (NL):        83.22 MiB/s
        Softlayer DAL (US):   5.04 MiB/s
        Online.net (FR):      74.40 MiB/s
        OVH BHS (CA):         12.40 MiB/s

Thanked by 1vmhaus
  • Just to add also had the same experience as @ElliotJ, tried to sign in without first activating my account. That was an easy one to fix. It might be worth having a please check your email to activate your account type message.

Thanked by 1vmhaus
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Sent my application. Looks beautiful!

Thanked by 1vmhaus
  • UnixfyUnixfy Member
    edited August 2017

More benchmark.

Test results for VMH-1GB-BETA at VMHaus

Server specs:

2 × Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 v6 @ 3.80GHz

996 MB RAM / 21 GB disk space

Debian 9.1

United Kingdom

Benchmark summary:

UnixBench - 3925.1

Disk Read - 1056 MB/s

Disk Write - 2168 MB/s

Bandwidth - 611.10 MB/s

More: https://serverscope.io/trials/Jja5

edit: markdown formatting

Thanked by 2vmhaus bersy
  • vmhaus said: prem de la prem

crème de la crème?

• @imyuno said:

vmhaus said: prem de la prem

crème de la crème?

No. It's prem de la prem.

• @MrPsycho said:

@imyuno said:

vmhaus said: prem de la prem

crème de la crème?

No. It's prem de la prem.

No. It's crème de la prém.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Mmm benchmarks ;-). That would explain the spikes this evening :-).

Good luck guys !

• I'm impressed. I ran some postgresql related jobs.

On Google Cloud's f1.micro

Finished in 1 minute 4.72 seconds (files took 0.8959 seconds to load)

On VMHaus's VMH-512MB

Finished in 32.63 seconds (files took 0.31313 seconds to load)

• ben47955ben47955 Member
    edited August 2017

Maybe is in your To do list, but I receive a mail when I open a ticket, but not when it is answered, so I have to check in the panel if I have a answer.

Edit: Notification page return to 404

• cheapskatecheapskate Member
    edited August 2017

@vmhaus Two minor suggestions for the account signup page:

1. There's an error message if you fail to fill in a mandatory field. Ideally it should name the missing required fields.
    2. The Firefox built in password manager thought the postcode field was the username. Probably because the postcode box was just before the password box. There's probably an HTML hint you can put on the email address box, or worst case move the email address box to just before the password box.
  • MrPsychoMrPsycho Member
    edited August 2017

Here are two four five six seven eight another things:

• Decide if you want to go from bright green to dark green or vice versa. Right now login and register pages go from bright to dark green, but the result pages go from bright to even more bright green, which makes the text hard to read. Here is a image what I'm talking about.
      I'd actually prefer faster gradient change and only at first (login) page. It would kinda make "loading" impression.

• Change MySQL conding from default latin-1 to utf-8, because it splits out an error with letters like "Ł" (city in my example):

• Use Gravatar for avatars and tell user about it under Settings tab, because now I have stock avatar and no way to change it (you know... small details that affect the overall impression)

• Add more templates! For example: Debian 7 and 8. The same thing applies to Ubuntu 14.04. Not everybody is content with newer OS versions. Also think in this order about: Fedora, Windows, FreeBSD, CoreOS.

• Favicon near tab title is missing

• Buttons in control panel are too bright in my opition.
      Open the image in full size here.

• "Notifications" tab redirects to 404!

• After adding SSH key I should be able to look it up later!

I can see @Dawgy left some marks under frontend source code. Good job! You did a great work.

Edit: Two more things added.
    Edit2: One more thing added
    Edit3: Added yet another thing

Edit4:
    I feel like @Dawgy gonna hate me... :C I'll share with you some of that money if I get any! I promise!

vmhaus said: If you are helpful spot a bug, give some detailed insight you might have a dollar or two on your account by the end of the beta coming fresh out of the pocket of the developer that caused the cockup.

Edit 5: One more thing...
    Edit 6: Yup.... You guessed it. Yet another thing :G
    Edit 7: Added proposed templates

Thanked by 1vmhaus
  • cpsdcpsd Member

I also had the same 500 error when I registered using chrome from my Android phone. Second time went well and I opened the ticket asking for the beta.

• vmhausvmhaus Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Panel monkey here again:

1) Yes we are working on the activating account popup thingy. (Please go easy on me)
    2) Notifications for ticket replys have stopped, they did work I probably broke something checking now.
    3) @MrPsycho
    3a) Colour change is thing we added looks different and to be honest when drunk looks bloody cool. I'll admit that goes too bright and I'll inject a few mg of caffeine into UI dev. Stand by.
    3b) MySQL stuff working on shortly, all our devs have US/UK keyboards and didnt check that one out.
    4) @cheapskate
    4a) Understood I'll look into it however seems like a little too much messing about instead of people filling fields, that said taken on board.
    4b) Ah I see, I think I heard wind of this before but was never given actual insight. Will look into modifying over the next 24 hours.
    5) @ben47955 Notifications gives 404 is known I just havent had time and our UI guy insisted we had it.
    6) @halczy NVMe + E3-1270v6 is the dream.
    7) prem de la prem/creme de la creme, one of our devs fucked off to france and well blame him for bugs and puns.

Anything else, drop a ticket or a PM here sometimes easier to watch however will stick head in here every now and then.

MrPsycho said: Use Gravatar for avatars and tell user about in under Settings tab, because now I have stock avatar and no way to change it (you know... small details that affect the overall impression)

Taken on board is a low priority but understood

Add more templates!

We spent 3 days swearing at CentOS, we are working on it. Any other templates you think would be useful?

• On billing tabs it's say "Refer a friend for credit!", but I can't find any links to share, maybe this is in the To do list ...

@ben47955 said:
    On billing tabs it's say "Refer a friend for credit!", but I can't find any links to share, maybe this is in the To do list ...

Of course referring a friend to a free beta isn't going to earn you money/credit ;)

• vmhaus said: We’ve gone with a brand spanking new Xeon E3-1270 v6 which clocks in at 3.8GHz with a nice little boost to 4.2GHz. We've also thrown (gently placed by Dom) 64GB of ECC DDR4 RAM for good measure finally backed by our 1TB Samsung NVMe disks which give your applications that little push to run faster

Why E3? The 64GB RAM limit is still fairly low (but much better than pre-v6) and dual channel only which on a 4x PCIe SSD setup can be limiting as well.

I'd have used ~ E5-1650 (v3/v4) which offers similar performance per core (but is 6) with quad channel memory, registered ECC (not unbuffered) up to 1.5TB and 40 vs. 16 PCIe lanes - unlike the dual socket E5 the 16xx series has some serious turbo, also up to 4Ghz ~.

• Any idea what the pricing's going to be like?

@William said:

vmhaus said: We’ve gone with a brand spanking new Xeon E3-1270 v6 which clocks in at 3.8GHz with a nice little boost to 4.2GHz. We've also thrown (gently placed by Dom) 64GB of ECC DDR4 RAM for good measure finally backed by our 1TB Samsung NVMe disks which give your applications that little push to run faster

Why E3? The 64GB RAM limit is still fairly low (but much better than pre-v6) and dual channel only which on a 4x PCIe SSD setup can be limiting as well.

I'd have used ~ E5-1650 (v3/v4) which offers similar performance per core (but is 6) with quad channel memory, registered ECC (not unbuffered) up to 1.5TB and 40 vs. 16 PCIe lanes - unlike the dual socket E5 the 16xx series has some serious turbo, also up to 4Ghz ~.

Cheers for your view. 64GB is plenty for just 4 cores and 8 threads. The hardware we use being MicroClouds only allows 2 disks anyway over the U.2 format. We have considered 1650s and whilst it adds more RAM it's not needed. Using E3 + 64GB RAM is perfect for our use case as VPS node. Dual E5 2600's have low clocks so not an option and 1650 whilst impressive we felt the cost difference to be more beneficial to run E3s.

Hope this sums up something, probably didn't long story short E3 + 64GB RAM + 2 RAID 1 NVMe is fine. Is it absolutely jaw dropping no, would E5-1650 allow more clients per machine? Yes, but E3 works for our use case.

@varunchopra said:
    Any idea what the pricing's going to be like?

Lips sealed my friend. Shouldn't be outrageous or overly stupid. Will have to wait and see ;)

Panel Monkey 2 just confirmed that login email activation has been resolved.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • vmhaus said: We spent 3 days swearing at CentOS, we are working on it. Any other templates you think would be useful?

Seventh edit made... You can check the proposed templates in my previous comment :G

Maybe hire a (CentOS) sysadmin for few hours? Not like I'm questioning your knowledge, but he might have a fresh look at your setup and with little bit of luck might find the thing you missed that is causing the problem.

• cheapskate said: The Firefox built in password manager thought the postcode field was the username. Probably because the postcode box was just before the password box. There's probably an HTML hint you can put on the email address box, or worst case move the email address box to just before the password box.

Ha! It works on Chrome like a charm! You cunt!

Not sure why I wanted to call you a cunt :X
    Probably too much LET and @Nekki.

• Applied :-)

• @vmhaus

Do we get more credit for providing insight and feedback? cough

edited August 2017

vmhaus said: Panel Monkey 2 just confirmed that login email activation has been resolved.

Well... Maybe your monkey fixed the problem, but it also made a new problem:

edited August 2017

Few more details:

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@MrPsycho said:
    Few more details:

Subnet is super annoying, makes a copy/paste more difficult.