Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Very cheap vps (less than 5$/year)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Very cheap vps (less than 5$/year)

NanoShinonomeNanoShinonome Member
edited August 2017 in Requests

I'm looking for a VPS to host a static website.

Right now the website uses literally <2KB, and I doubt any vps storage limit will every apply to my needs.
I get a couple human hits per day (plus the usual vuln scanners), and if i get slashdotted it's ok for the site to go down, so I don't think I care about resources either.
I don't need any kind of uptime guarantee whatsoever.

If it's in West Europe it's better but it's not a requirement at all.

I found lots of offers around this price, but they have a shared ipv4 address. Do these providers generally use a reverse proxy to route http requests to your 80 port, or do I have to use another port?

If I can't find anything for this price I think I'm going to get the cheapest 25$ POS xeon I find on ebay and learn a bit more about virtualization, networking and all that kind of stuff.

Thanked by 1styxtrooper

Comments

• 1€/mo Arubacloud?

• NanoShinonomeNanoShinonome Member
    edited August 2017

Too pricey, looking for less than half that. I know that sounds pretty entitled for something that costs less than a coffee per month, but I'm working on a ridiculously tight budget. At that price, I'm going to invest in learning how to manage a dedicated server in my bedroom :)

Looks like I forgot to add <5$/year to the title.

• And i want a Audi RS6 for under 5$/yr.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Get a shared plan:

https://buyshared.net/shared-cpanel-hosting/

Francisco

• So is there a specific reason you cant go with shared hosting if it's just a static site where downtime doesnt matter?

• NanoShinonomeNanoShinonome Member
    edited August 2017

@FoxelVox said:
    And i want a Audi RS6 for under 5$/yr.

More like I'm ok with a 20 year old bicycle with a 3mph top speed that might or might not be missing a wheel for an extended period of time, but for 5$/year :)

@Francisco said:
    Get a shared plan:

https://buyshared.net/shared-cpanel-hosting/
    Francisco

@Ympker said:
    So is there a specific reason you cant go with shared hosting if it's just a static site where downtime doesnt matter?

I'm trying to learn about sysadmin and deployment stuff. I think I will manage the box with Ansible (if I can figure it out).

• Get LES. I'm pretty sure they are doing reverse prpxy for port 80. Or you can just use CF's CDN feature and point it to your dedicated IPv6

• IMO google or amazon free offers seem to be perfect for this usecase...

• @sanvit said:
    Get LES. I'm pretty sure they are doing reverse prpxy for port 80. Or you can just use CF's CDN feature and point it to your dedicated IPv6

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

I provide both HTTP and HTTPS proxies on all NAT locations.
    That means that you set up your web server as you wish, the traffic is passed straight to it

The customer is in control and can add/edit/remove entries as he/she wishes.
    No need for tickets or anything.

Thanked by 2NanoShinonome NanoG6
  • @mikho has a nice $4/yr LES offer in Hetzner DC.

Setup the HTTP/HTTPS domain forwarding in the panel and you're good to go to learn nginx config inside the NAT vps.

Thanked by 1mikho
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@Ympker said:
    1€/mo Arubacloud?

it will be more than $5 per year.

• I forgot to put my expected price; I added it after that post.

• I forgot to put my expected price; I added it after that post.

• bersybersy Member
    edited August 2017

If I were you, I would increase the budget to $5.25/yr and opt for VirMach's 128MB IPv4 OVZ. For better or worse, LES like VMs should cost less that $4/yr to be able to compete successfully with such type of offers.

WebProject said: it will be more than $5 per year.

It had been posted before the budget was announced.

• If your main reason is to learn, Google offer free $300 credit VPS. You can use it up to 1 year.

• In the end I went with lowendspirit. Right now I can't seem to be able to configure the reverse proxy: the automated script tries to send the request but the connection is refused. On the support forum there was already a thread about this, and the issue seems to come and go. Well, for basically 2€/year, I definitely can't complain :)

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited August 2017

Install your favoured apps on to a localhost, use dynamic DNS if you want people to see it. Cost $0.

Thanked by 1Lm85H4gFkh3wk3
  • But then I have to pay for electricity. Even assuming I get a raspberry pi, it's idle consumption for a year at the price I pay for power is about 3.20€, more than the vps I bought, and that's ignoring that I would have to buy one. If I kept my computer open at night the cost would be a couple dozen times that.

What wouldn't a student do to save a couple of bucks a year? :P

• @yokowasis said:
    If your main reason is to learn, Google offer free $300 credit VPS. You can use it up to 1 year.

Yep. And after that year runs out, do AWS for a year: https://aws.amazon.com/free/

After two years, people should be paying you to play with servers. ;)

• @NanoShinonome said:
    In the end I went with lowendspirit. Right now I can't seem to be able to configure the reverse proxy: the automated script tries to send the request but the connection is refused. On the support forum there was already a thread about this, and the issue seems to come and go. Well, for basically 2€/year, I definitely can't complain :)

The script for specific provider. Ask your provider what you should use. I myself use $2 / year from @cam246. He helped me get up. The uptime is 100%. But yeah. I wouldn't recommend using Nat VPS for your first VPS. Better learn from real VPS first.

Thanked by 1Cam
  • Student? Cheap server? https://education.github.com/pack - DigitalOcean 50$ credit. 10 months of cheapest (decent!) server for free.

Thanked by 1szarka
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@NanoShinonome said:
    In the end I went with lowendspirit. Right now I can't seem to be able to configure the reverse proxy: the automated script tries to send the request but the connection is refused. On the support forum there was already a thread about this, and the issue seems to come and go. Well, for basically 2€/year, I definitely can't complain :)

You went with GestionDBI ?
    He is the only one left with the haproxy script if I'm not mistaken.

• @yokowasis said:

@NanoShinonome said:

The script for specific provider. Ask your provider what you should use. I myself use $2 / year from @cam246. He helped me get up. The uptime is 100%. But yeah. I wouldn't recommend using Nat VPS for your first VPS. Better learn from real VPS first.

It's gestiondbi. While it's my first vps, my desktop OS is manjaro and I can deal with problems. I'm not complaining about this issue :)

@JabJab said:
    Student? Cheap server? https://education.github.com/pack - DigitalOcean 50$ credit. 10 months of cheapest (decent!) server for free.

I study CS at home, which I know is not ideal, and I'm not sure if that's covered by that offer, but I will take a look! Thanks.

@mikho said:

@NanoShinonome said:

You went with GestionDBI ?
    He is the only one left with the haproxy script if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, that's the one. I already asked on the forums for help.

• Oh darn, I only know deals of $5.01 to $5.03 a year..

• I wonder where can you get stuff that's less than $5 and it's a VPS... I know $1/year shared hosting. I know $2/year NAT VPS (@cam246). But I got no idea where I can get anything less than $5/year unless Virmach throws another party..

NAT VPS hosters usually will forward port 80 (requires setup) for you. Just double check. But if you don't want to risk it and get a IPv4, try this offer, it's a 128MB OVZ VPS from Virmach. Use LEB30 to bring it down to $5.25/year.

(aff link)

Thanked by 1127001
  • tonyapactonyapac Member
    edited August 2017

@Edmond said:
    I wonder where can you get stuff that's less than $5 and it's a VPS... I know $1/year shared hosting. I know $2/year NAT VPS (@cam246). But I got no idea where I can get anything less than $5/year unless Virmach throws another party..

NAT VPS hosters usually will forward port 80 (requires setup) for you. Just double check. But if you don't want to risk it and get a IPv4, try this offer, it's a 128MB OVZ VPS from Virmach. Use LEB30 to bring it down to $5.25/year.

(aff link)

I do have a $1/year VPS, it was a special order from VIRMACH. It is a 128MB OVZ VPS with a dedicated IPv4 address. Cheap but very stable, I am quite happy with VIRMACH.

• @tonyapac said:

@Edmond said:
    I wonder where can you get stuff that's less than $5 and it's a VPS... I know $1/year shared hosting. I know $2/year NAT VPS (@cam246). But I got no idea where I can get anything less than $5/year unless Virmach throws another party..

(aff link)

I do have a $1/year VPS, it was a special order from VIRMACH. It is a 128MB OVZ VPS with a dedicated IPv4 address. Cheap but very stable, I am quite happy with VIRMACH.

$1/year? With a dedicated IPv4? How?! How much bandwidth do you actually get?

• You can try the vps named as "SATA SEA PCCW" from Sentris. Its 12 month price is 0.40USD/month.
    https://www.sentris.net/billing/cart.php?gid=18

Thanked by 1pluush
  • add_iTadd_iT Member
    edited August 2017

@pluush said:

@tonyapac said:

@Edmond said:

(aff link)

$1/year? With a dedicated IPv4? How?! How much bandwidth do you actually get?

This is from their last blackfriday / cyber monday deals and very very limited

I have got one too

https://lowendbox.com/blog/cyber-monday-deals-from-virtual-machine-solutions-128mb-openvz-1yr-768mb-kvm-6yr-and-more/