Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dacentec dedicated Opteron with 2x2TB and 4x750GB $25/mo in North Carolina - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dacentec dedicated Opteron with 2x2TB and 4x750GB $25/mo in North Carolina

Comments

• And not a single one you used my aff link to buy did you? Fuck you all and your Yeti sisters.

• WSSWSS Member

@AuroraZ said:
    And not a single one you used my aff link to buy did you? Fuck you all and your Yeti sisters.

Who's Dacentric?

• @WSS said:

@AuroraZ said:
    And not a single one you used my aff link to buy did you? Fuck you all and your Yeti sisters.

Who's Dacentric?

You high again man?

• @AuroraZ said:

going to use it right now, remember me, I may need small help..

Thanked by 1netomx
  • WSSWSS Member

@AuroraZ said:

@WSS said:

@AuroraZ said:

Who's Dacentric?

You high again man?

That's @inthecloudblog.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • painfreepcpainfreepc Member
    edited July 2017

All Gone.. I missed out..

• hzrhzr Member

painfreepc said: All Gone.. I missed out..

Just buy from nocix or wholesaleinternet or kimsufi

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

hzr said: Just buy from nocix or wholesaleinternet

Different servers. This special has free IPMI (not dedicated but whenever you need it) and 7TB total storage (2x2 TB and 4x750 GB), combined with a /29. Especially the IPMi is rather hard to find, combined with such a big space (kimsufi has just a single ip without option to order more and a single HDD for this price).

• @jvnadr said:

hzr said: Just buy from nocix or wholesaleinternet

Different servers. This special has free IPMI (not dedicated but whenever you need it) and 7TB total storage (2x2 TB and 4x750 GB), combined with a /29. Especially the IPMi is rather hard to find, combined with such a big space (kimsufi has just a single ip without option to order more and a single HDD for this price).

Yes, different servers, but @painfreepc has been going around the various dedicated server threads and is seemingly looking for any kind of dedicated server.

Going with a cheap kimsufi or wholesaleinternet server would probably be best for him, especially if he has no idea what hes doing yet.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • FredQcFredQc Member

Almost clicked the Order button when there was stocks earlier, but I let it go instead.

SATA-II (well, I suppose it is) and 50,000 hours running time is what changed my mind :P

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • Hey guys,

Anyone got yours?

Can anyone please make a bench?

• RurikoRuriko Member

Out of stock!

• Gamma17Gamma17 Member
    edited July 2017

The issue with centos 7 on this servers it that they have nvidia NIC's, support for which was dropped in RHEL7. So, it installs, works, but you will need to install driver for NIC's to work, which you will have to do using painfully slow and unstable KVM.

Also, non-ecc memory and incredibly old/slow 750Gb drives.

Other than that great server, been using it for some time now, and had no issues.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Gamma17 said:
    The issue with centos 7 on this servers it that they have nvidia NIC's, support for which was dropped in RHEL7. So, it installs, works, but you will need to install driver for NIC's to work, which you will have to do using painfully slow and unstable KVM.

Also, non-ecc memory and incredibly old/slow 750Gb drives.

Other than that great server, been using it for some time now, and had no issues.

Got the link for those drivers?

• jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited July 2017

@Gamma17 said:
    The issue with centos 7 on this servers it that they have nvidia NIC's, support for which was dropped in RHEL7.

Definitely something is incompatible on installer boot. I could not get the CentOS 7 ISO boot disc to boot AT ALL. The installer exits into "emergency mode" during startup (after a long timeout). Tried several CentOS 7 ISOs, same result. How do you know it's a NIC problem? Installer doesn't get me to the point of setting up the NIC.

I really want CentOS 7 on this box. Would love to know how.

• Gamma17Gamma17 Member
    edited July 2017

@MikePT said:
    Got the link for those drivers?

kmod-forcedeth from elrepo worked for me.

https://elrepo.org/linux/elrepo/el7/x86_64/RPMS/kmod-forcedeth-0.64-2.el7.elrepo.x86_64.rpm

Also, my server is Supermicro H8SMI with Opteron 1381

Centos 7 installed fine for me, using KVM, the only issues is... it is hard to copy file to remote server when it has no network...
    How you are mounting your iso? Using KVM?

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited July 2017

I got an Opteron 1356. Maybe that's why. Tried their ISO, and CentOS 7 Minimal ISO remotely mounted from my desktop. Humm, just realized I never tried a more complete CentOS 7 ISO, maybe should have tried the huge CentOS-7-x86_64-Everything ISO.

How did you copy over the KVM without network?

• If mounting iso-s using KVM works for you, you can just create iso with the file and mount it.

Also, if you go in to their control pannel, there is "provision" button, you can boot rescue cd from there, mount your fs and copy file. Or you can try centos installer from there, but IIRC it did not work for me.

Thanked by 1jon617
  • FalzoFalzo Member

anyone to report power on hours of that harddisks?

• @Falzo said:
    anyone to report power on hours of that harddisks?

Model Family:     Western Digital RE4
    Device Model:     WDC WD2003FYYS-02W0B1
      9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   100   099   000    Old_age   Always       -       352

Model Family:     Western Digital RE4
    Device Model:     WDC WD2003FYYS-02W0B1
      9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   100   099   000    Old_age   Always       -       352

Model Family:     Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Device Model:     ST3750640AS
      9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   050   050   000    Old_age   Always       -       44414

9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   047   047   000    Old_age   Always       -       46764

9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   032   032   000    Old_age   Always       -       59908

9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   093   093   000    Old_age   Always       -       6268

Thanked by 2Falzo vimalware
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

The CPU is meh, less then 4k bench.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Neoon said:

Which is an issue why?

@Nekki said:

@Neoon said:

Which is an issue why?

Depends on your Application, which such low Specs it may catch fire.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited July 2017

@Neoon said:

@Nekki said:

@Neoon said:

Which is an issue why?

Depends on your Application, which such low Specs it may catch fire.

This is clearly a server you buy for the storage, what sort of fucking idiot would buy it if they had a heavy CPU workload.

Sometimes, I think you just like complaining.

@Nekki said:
    This is clearly a server you buy for the storage, what sort of fucking idiot would buy it if they had a heavy CPU workload.

So,etimes, I think you just like complaining.

Well, if you use Plex on it, no idea how that would work out but seems like with 4TB.

Anyone of you tested Plex on this box?

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@Neoon said:
    Well, if you use Plex on it, no idea how that would work out but seems like with 4TB.

I've run Plex on worse spec'd systems. Completely depends on what you're trying to watch with Plex though.

99% of my personal Plex viewing is direct play or direct stream, which requires very little CPU usage.

Thanked by 2vimalware Nekki
  • NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited July 2017

@Neoon said:

@Nekki said:

So,etimes, I think you just like complaining.

Absolutely fine in a LOT of use cases.

Edit: I used to run Plex on a KS-1 and 90% of the time it was fine.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited July 2017

Neoon said: Well, if you use Plex on it, no idea how that would work out but seems like with 4TB.

Neoon said: The CPU is meh, less then 4k bench.

Plex is running fine, depending on the workload (for a single full HD transcoding or a couple of 720p streams is more than fine).
    Also, for hosting 5-10 sites and convert those 4x750 7200 HDDs to Raid10 for the mysql, is a brilliant server.
    Haven't tested network yet (I am waiting for delivery) but last time I had a dacentec server, it was fair enough.
    CPU is "meh" if you want to use it to host 50 vps and 500 websites in it.

Thanked by 2vimalware sin
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited July 2017

Anyone got their server deployed?
    I know its been like 18 hours since I paid, they do mention 24h deployment time, but still, just curious.
    More than willing to wait even an extra day. They're good folks. Let's hope it comes with free YETI too, at least I asked for some free YETI, ahah!
    (Mr El Cheapo never resists to ask for more free stuff).

This will be a Plex server, let's see how it performs.
    If its performance sux, I'll just set it to Plesk server instead. :p

• saibalsaibal Member

Still waiting for mine. Been 20+ hours.

Thanked by 1MikePT