Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dacentec dedicated Opteron with 2x2TB and 4x750GB $25/mo in North Carolina
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dacentec dedicated Opteron with 2x2TB and 4x750GB $25/mo in North Carolina

jon617jon617 Veteran
edited July 2017 in Providers

Just noticed Dacentec brought back an Opteron 1385 dedicated server with 8GB RAM, 2x2TB and 4x750GB hard drives for $25/mo. If you install/configure the OS install yourself with their remote IPMI and set up the drives without RAID, you can get 7TB of storage. The server is shown on their page as time of this post:

https://billing.dacentec.com/hostbill/index.php?/cart/dedicated-servers/

Last time they had this promo, it sold-out in a day. Just FYI.

Not affiliated with them, but I do have one of these same Opteron's with 2x2TB for $20/mo. Generally happy with the service as a development and storage box. Connection is fast and reliable. CPU is ok, not fast, about half or one-quarter the performance of a common VPS often found on this site. I use mine for data storage, backups, and the 8GB RAM is perfect for my code development/testing/staging. Note, the CPU is not compatible with CentOS 7 and other newer operation systems. My CentOS 7 install died a miserable death when I tried, but CentOS 6 works just fine.

Comments

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Thanks guy, not usually bothered about stuff in the US, but I do like my storage. Picked one up, likely to be handy for a couple of projects.

• hzrhzr Member

Ctrl-F "Bonus 3TB FREE", took a bit of scrolling on mobile

Picked up one

• yay more 70k hour drives my favorite

/s

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • imokimok Member

I feel like I have to buy these... but usually I just use some GBs... strange.

Thanked by 2raindog308 coreflux
  • MasonRMasonR Community Contributor
  • saibalsaibal Member

This comes with a /29 too :D

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • jon617jon617 Veteran

@saibal said:
    This comes with a /29 too :D

One usable IPv4. IPv6 /64 can be added.

• saibalsaibal Member

@jon617 said: One usable IPv4. IPv6 /64 can be added.

My service details page says /29 of IPv4 Addresses. No mention of IPv6 though.

• WSSWSS Member

From the /30, pull down, and /29 is available with justification.

• And with the /30, shouldnt it be 2 usable ips?

• WSSWSS Member
    edited July 2017

@MagicalTrain said:
    And with the /30, shouldnt it be 2 usable ips?

No.

4 total IPs.

network
    gateway
    YOU
    broadcast

Thanks for this. I bought one. I don't know what I'm going to do with it- but probably use it for incremental backups of my actual important shit instead of relying on dumb luck and the fact I keep recent tarballs everywhere.

Hello, minio.

Thanked by 1MagicalTrain
  • @WSS said:

@MagicalTrain said:
    And with the /30, shouldnt it be 2 usable ips?

No.

4 total IPs.

network
    gateway
    YOU
    broadcast

Thanks for this. I bought one. I don't know what I'm going to do with it- but probably use it for incremental backups of my actual important shit instead of relying on dumb luck and the fact I keep recent tarballs everywhere.

Hello, minio.

Thought it was network + broadcast. I know so little about ips...

• WSSWSS Member
    edited July 2017

@MagicalTrain said:
    Thought it was network + broadcast. I know so little about ips...

You still only get 1 usable IP, if that wasn't apparent.

• imokimok Member

I have never used Plex. Is this CPU enough?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

imok said: I have never used Plex. Is this CPU enough?

Short answer: Probably.

Long answer: It entirely depends on the quality of the media you want stream, your client app(s) and the number of simultaneous users.

Thanked by 1imok
  • Sure, would be enough for a light Plex server

Thanked by 1imok
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited July 2017

Setup time?
    Edit: Looks like 24h.

• WSSWSS Member

Just so you know, if you ask for the /29, you WILL be required to provide justification.

• painfreepcpainfreepc Member
    edited July 2017

I am new to the dedicated server thing, Do I need to use Centos 5 or 6,

can I use Ubuntu 14.04 LTS - I know Ubuntu..

Here are the OS install options:

Centos 6 - 64 Bit

Centos 6 - 32 Bit

Cent Os 5 - 32 Bit

Cent Os 5 - 64 Bit

ESXi 5 Evaluation Mode ( + $10.00 USD)

Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Windows R2 STD 2008 Evaluation Mode

IP KVM - Customer will install own OS

• @painfreepc said:
    I am new to the dedicated server thing, Do I need to use Centos 5 or 6,

can I use Ubuntu 14.04 LTS - I know Ubuntu..

On the order site it gives you the following:

Centos 6 - 64 Bit
    Centos 6 - 32 Bit
    Cent Os 5 - 32 Bit
    Cent Os 5 - 64 Bit
    ESXi 5 Evaluation Mode ( + $10.00 USD)
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
    Windows R2 STD 2008 Evaluation Mode
    IP KVM - Customer will install own OS

Ordered one.
    I see it's Supermicro servers, by IP KVM do they mean IPMI, permanent, like, IPMI module in the motherboard? Or they'll attach a temporary KVM?

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

AMD Opteron 1385 is slightly old processor (2009) for a couple VPS it will be great, as it's only quad-core with clock speed 2.7GHz

MagicalTrain said: IP KVM - Customer will install own OS

You will be able to install your own OS, more up to date like Centos 7 or ubuntu 16.04 LTS

• jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited July 2017

@MikePT said:
    I see it's Supermicro servers, by IP KVM do they mean IPMI, permanent, like, IPMI module in the motherboard? Or they'll attach a temporary KVM?

They manually plug in a IP KVM on request, and unplug it when you're done (or after a day of use). They only have a certain number available. I requested one by ticket late in the evening (after 10pm Eastern Time) and got remote KVM access within an hour, and was able to use until the morning. It lets you use an install ISO image from your computer (slow), or use one of their ISOs on the network (they provide instructions). I used CentOS 6 64-bit ISO provided on their network.

@WebProject said:
    You will be able to install your own OS, more up to date like Centos 7 or ubuntu 16.04 LTS

I tried to get CentOS 7 working on this Opteron CPU, but no luck. Failed immediately on boot of the install disc before install began. Dacentec Support told me these old Opterons do NOT work with CentOS 7. If you get CentOS 7 working, please let me know how!!

CentOS 6 64-bit works.

People mentioned Plex. I had trouble getting Plex working on CentOS 6, and read there's much better Plex support on CentOS 7. Not to get this thread off on a tangent, but only mentioning that Plex may require effort to get working (more than simply installing an RPM package).

Thanked by 2MikePT imok
  • painfreepcpainfreepc Member
    edited July 2017

@WebProject said:
    AMD Opteron 1385 is slightly old processor (2009) for a couple VPS it will be great, as it's only quad-core with clock speed 2.7GHz

>

will it run Centos 7, I know some older servers can't..

jon617 said: They manually plug in a IP KVM on request, and unplug it when you're done (or after a day of use). They only have a certain number available. I requested one by ticket late in the evening (after 10pm Eastern Time) and got remote KVM access within an hour, and had was able to use it until the morning.

All good, thanks.

Looks like I'll try running CentOS 7 on these. :-)

jon617 said: I tried to get CentOS 7 working on this Opteron CPU, but no luck. Failed immediately on boot of the install disc before install began. Dacentec Support told me these old Opterons do NOT work with CentOS 7. If you get CentOS 7 working, please let me know how!!

CentOS 6 64-bit works.

Will give it a try.

• WSSWSS Member

Imma put Void on it.

Bitches love Void.

• @WSS said:
    Imma put Void on it.

Bitches love Void.

Know who else loves Void? Crazy, alcoholic addicts.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • WSSWSS Member

@MagicalTrain said:

@WSS said:
    Imma put Void on it.

Bitches love Void.

Know who else loves Void? Crazy, alcoholic addicts.

[citation required]

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Thanks for sharing, just grabbed a backup box on work account :)