Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS for Plex (Europe, Fuse enabled to mount cloud storage, 1080p transcoding)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS for Plex (Europe, Fuse enabled to mount cloud storage, 1080p transcoding)

P_E_E_GP_E_E_G Member
edited July 2017 in Requests

Hi, I would like a VPS for Plex. The requirements:

• To be located in Europe
  • To be able to transcode 1 1080p file (my files have a maximum bitrate of 20 Mbps) at time without any problem
  • To have Fuse enabled in order to mount a cloud storage with rclone or plexdrive
  • To be able to stream with Plex without bandwidht problem or peering problem, my files don't have very high bitrate

Cheaper is better. What's the provider that can fullfill my requirements for the CHEAPEST price? Less than 10 €/month would be fine.

Comments

• sanvitsanvit Member

Whay not plex pass with plex cloud?

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2017

Could do the following at The Netherlands,

2 GB RAM

30 GB SSD

4 core fair-share access include (Dual E5-2670 CPU)

1 Snapshot (User can restore/create/destroy snapshot from the panel)

KVM based

2 TB bandwidth per month

1 Gbit/sec upink

1 IPv4

/64 IPv6

$5/month or $25/semi-annually

https://crowncloud.net/clients/cart.php?a=add&pid=279

• @sanvit said:

I tried it once, they have a severe problem with subtitles.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@sanvit said:

Plex cloud is terrible. Incredibly long scan times, buffering constantly, etc.

@P_E_E_G you'll need a VPS with at least a 2000 passmark score. So at least one dedicated e3 core or two e5 cores. Maybe try netcup since they are cheap and allow you to max out your CPU usage. Not sure if they have fuse enabled.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @P_E_E_G VPSes aren't usually suitable for this use. Plex transcoding eats up CPU like there's no tomorrow. Hosting companies don't want people chomping through CPU, so I'd suggest something in the scope of a Kimsufi.

Go for something above a KS-2A.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited July 2017

@DigitalJosee said:

@sanvit said:

These were post-beta?

• qtwrkqtwrk Member

P_E_E_G said: To be able to transcode 1 1080p file (my files have a maximum bitrate of 20 Mbps) at time without any problem

what is requirement of CPU for 1080p ?

• FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited July 2017

@doghouch said:
    @P_E_E_G VPSes aren't usually suitable for this use. Plex transcoding eats up CPU like there's no tomorrow. Hosting companies don't want people chomping through CPU, so I'd suggest something in the scope of a Kimsufi.

Go for something above a KS-2A.

Why not? If you have dedicated CPU cores, it should be fine.

@P_E_E_G

Use a root server from Netcup.

https://www.netcup.eu/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=1769

They come with two dedicated Intel® Xeon® E5-2680V4 cores, 6 GB of RAM, and unlimited bandwidth (1Gbit up to 10TB unrestricted, thereafter 80Mbit/s sustained but anything over for an hour and they can limit you), KVM, and 320GB SAS storage.

This, this will completely outspec a crappy Atom dedicated.

• qtwrkqtwrk Member

@MasonR said:

@sanvit said:

@P_E_E_G you'll need a VPS with at least a 2000 passmark score. So at least one dedicated e3 core or two e5 cores. Maybe try netcup since they are cheap and allow you to max out your CPU usage. Not sure if they have fuse enabled.

well , I happened to have netcup VPS, how do I determinate that FUSE is enabled ?

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@qtwrk said:

@MasonR said:

@sanvit said:

well , I happened to have netcup VPS, how do I determinate that FUSE is enabled ?

Try to use rclone to mount a cloud drive and you'll know by if it's successful or not.

• @qtwrk said:

@MasonR said:

@sanvit said:

Do you have a regular VPS or a root server?

Regular VPS servers are OpenVZ, so you need to contact Netcup to enable it presumably.

Root servers are KVM, where you can just log on and enable fuse.

• @sanvit said:

I have it, but it has a lot of problems. Plex Cloud works only with Direct Play, their servers can't handle transcoding properly so there is constant buffering with either direct stream either transcoding.

@MasonR said:

@sanvit said:

Yes, I was thinking about netcup. But do they have support in English? What about their 8 € VPS? For me fuse is a killer application.

@qtwrk said:

@MasonR said:

@sanvit said:

Will you please check that and share? Thank you.

• @Nekki said:

@DigitalJosee said:

@sanvit said:

These were post-beta?

Yup, a few months ago. I hadn't any problem with buffering through.

• I just emailed the netcup support. Their VPS DOES NOT SUPPORT Fuse.
    Now... on a dedicated server how do you enable Fuse manually? I know how to download Fuse but I don't know how to enable it, with VPSs you open a ticket and providers enable it.

@SpeedBus said:
    Could do the following at The Netherlands,

2 GB RAM

30 GB SSD

4 core fair-share access include (Dual E5-2670 CPU)

1 Snapshot (User can restore/create/destroy snapshot from the panel)

KVM based

2 TB bandwidth per month

1 Gbit/sec upink

1 IPv4

/64 IPv6

$5/month or $25/semi-annually

https://crowncloud.net/clients/cart.php?a=add&pid=279

Do you support Fuse?

• @P_E_E_G

Their root servers do, though.

If you're using a KVM VPS, the same instructions apply for enabling fuse as on a dedicated server.

• @FlamesRunner said:
    @P_E_E_G

Their root servers do, though.

If you're using a KVM VPS, the same instructions apply for enabling fuse as on a dedicated server.

For the last VPS the provider enabled Fuse for me. Is there a phase-by-phase tutorial?

• FalzoFalzo Member

@P_E_E_G said:

>

all netcup servers are KVM so you can use your OS of choice with all kernel features including fuse independently...

grab the offer mentioned above even cheaper here: https://www.netcup.eu/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=1553 and feel free to grab a 5€ coupon from my sig for first signup ;)

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • qtwrkqtwrk Member

@P_E_E_G said:

@sanvit said:

I have it, but it has a lot of problems. Plex Cloud works only with Direct Play, their servers can't handle transcoding properly so there is constant buffering with either direct stream either transcoding.

@MasonR said:

@sanvit said:

Yes, I was thinking about netcup. But do they have support in English? What about their 8 € VPS? For me fuse is a killer application.

@qtwrk said:

@MasonR said:

@sanvit said:

Will you please check that and share? Thank you.

1. yes , they have english support.
    2. I'd like to check it , but I need a little more details instructions as I never come across with FUSE before.

but since Root Servers are KVM , I guess you can do pretty much whatever you want.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • FalzoFalzo Member

@qtwrk said:

>

1. I'd like to check it , but I need a little more details instructions as I never come across with FUSE before.

but since Root Servers are KVM , I guess you can do pretty much whatever you want.

This. their vservers are kvm too...

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

P_E_E_G said: For the last VPS the provider enabled Fuse for me. Is there a phase-by-phase tutorial?

https://github.com/libfuse/libfuse

That took me 30 seconds to Google.

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

P_E_E_G said: Do you support Fuse?

Yes, fuse support is available on these. The VPS offer I posted is a KVM based so you can run your own kernel/newer kernel as well if needed.

• @Falzo said:

@qtwrk said:

>

1. I'd like to check it , but I need a little more details instructions as I never come across with FUSE before.

They are?

• FalzoFalzo Member

@FlamesRunner said:

@Falzo said:

@qtwrk said:

>

They are?

Yes they are. Afaik they switched away from ovz/virtuozzo more then 12 months ago. I admit expecially their english pages often are somewhat grandfathered.

Just have a look at any detail page, the virtualization is mentioned in the first row of the details-table...
    I have some of their products even from the smaller vserver range, rest asured it's all KVM.
    The smaller vservers aren't even limited to 100 Mbit anymore as it still says in the details, but SSSHHHH ;-)

(I can post some benchmarks later if you like)

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • what happened to the plans for a LET group PLEX server?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

asterisk14 said: what happened to the plans for a LET group PLEX server?

Nobody could make up their minds what to do.

• @Falzo

Hell yeah! It's getting even more tempting to buy one now :p

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@asterisk14 said:
    what happened to the plans for a LET group PLEX server?

Most people just use mine now.

• P_E_E_GP_E_E_G Member
    edited July 2017

@Falzo said:

@FlamesRunner said:

@Falzo said:

@qtwrk said:

>

They are?

Yes they are. Afaik they switched away from ovz/virtuozzo more then 12 months ago. I admit expecially their english pages often are somewhat grandfathered.

Just have a look at any detail page, the virtualization is mentioned in the first row of the details-table...
    I have some of their products even from the smaller vserver range, rest asured it's all KVM.
    The smaller vservers aren't even limited to 100 Mbit anymore as it still says in the details, but SSSHHHH ;-)

(I can post some benchmarks later if you like)

Wait... I've emailed them about the VPS, they said:

''Hi,

Thank you for your email.

Fuse-Device for our virtual servers is not supported.

Best regards,
    Gabriel Horincar
    netcup Team''

@Nekki said:

P_E_E_G said: For the last VPS the provider enabled Fuse for me. Is there a phase-by-phase tutorial?

https://github.com/libfuse/libfuse

That took me 30 seconds to Google.

I've already read that, but I am a bit confused, which of the versions of libfuse should I download: fuse-3.1.0.tar.gz fuse-3.1.0.tar.gz.asc Source code (zip) or Source code (tar.gz). That guide is not very user friendly, it assumes that you know what Meson and Ninja are... I don't... are they something that I need to install before libfuse? And.. ''Running the tests requires the py.test Python module. Instead of running the tests as root, the majority of tests can also be run as a regular user if util/fusermount3 is made setuid root first:'' it also assumes that you know what py.test is, something that I need to download before? There are some other software requirements to fullfill before the installation of libfuse and these are not explained in that guide.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

P_E_E_G said: That guide is not very user friendly, it assumes that you know what Meson and Ninja are... I don't...

Well find out then. You're making zero effort to help yourself, so I'll be fucked if I'm giving you anything more.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

trewq said: Most people just use mine now.

And the latency from AU isn't dreadful?