Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Install Windows on Dedibox XC SSD 2016 with QEMU
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Install Windows on Dedibox XC SSD 2016 with QEMU

javimusejavimuse Member
edited July 2017 in Tutorials

Hello! Here my tutorial to install Windows or another SO ISO with QEMU

Tested on: Dedibox XC SSD 2016 (Server without KVM/iLO or IPMI)

1- Go to your Online.net panel

2- Install Ubuntu

3- Once install is finished open Putty and login with your SO credential

4-

sudo -i

5-Put your password Again

Format Dedicated Server:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M count=1

size=8000m This depend of the size of your SO ISO

mount -t tmpfs -o size=8000m tmpfs /mnt

**Download the ISO - In this case from Microsoft Evaluation (180 Days): **https://microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2016/

wget -P /mnt DIRECTLINKOFYOURISO

Example Windows Server 2016 x64

Install Portable QEMU

wget -qO- /tmp https://ia601503.us.archive.org/12/items/vkvm.tar/vkvm.tar.gz | tar xvz -C /tmp

Start QEMU

/tmp/qemu-system-x86_64 -net nic -net user,hostfwd=tcp::3389-:3389 -m 2048M -localtime -enable-kvm -cpu host,+nx -M pc -smp 2 -vga std -usbdevice tablet -k en-us -cdrom /mnt/NAMEOFYOURISO -hda /dev/sda -boot once=d -vnc :1

Example:

/tmp/qemu-system-x86_64 -net nic -net user,hostfwd=tcp::3389-:3389 -m 2048M -localtime -enable-kvm -cpu host,+nx -M pc -smp 2 -vga std -usbdevice tablet -k en-us -cdrom /mnt/14393.0.161119-1705.RS1_REFRESH_SERVER_EVAL_X64FRE_EN-US.ISO -hda /dev/sda -boot once=d -vnc :1

Install Windows with VNC Viewer: https://realvnc.com/download/viewer/

You need connect to YOUSERVERIP:1

Disable Firewall

Enable RDP

Ctrl+c to stop QEMU

(Very Important) Put this to boot from C: disk in next reboot

/tmp/qemu-system-x86_64 -net nic -net user,hostfwd=tcp::3389-:3389 -m 2048M -localtime -enable-kvm -cpu host,+nx -M pc -smp 2 -vga std -usbdevice tablet -k en-us -hda /dev/sda -boot c -vnc :1

Reboot Server from Online console.

Connect to windows via RDP

Enjoy!

Online.net does not need configure IP they have DHCP but if you are testing in another provider and they dont support DHCP you can:

$ lspci | egrep -i --color 'network|ethernet'
$ lshw -class network

And configure with your provider IP, Netmask, Gateway.

netsh interface ipv4 set address name="Ethernet 2" static 37.XXX.XXX.183 255.255.255.192 37.XXX.XXX.129

Reboot Server from Online console.

Connect to windows via RDP

Enjoy!

Comments

• UrDNUrDN Member
    edited June 2017

Use --enable-kvm and make sure acpi is enabled.

EDIT: I did not read that the machine does not support KVM, in this case it might be difficult.

EDIT2: The Dedibox XC has an Intel C2750 and it supports Virtualization, therefore KVM should work.

• zeitgeistzeitgeist Member
    edited June 2017

@javimuse said:

Launch QEMU (-cpu host dont works server dont have KVM so "-cpu qemu64")

Why wouldn't you "have" KVM? Or are you perhaps thinking of a KVM-Switch? The error you're seeing is most likely due to an unsupported CPU feature bit within the guest.

You should try to enable kvm (-enable-kvm) and show all of your host's CPU capabilities to the guest (-cpu host).

-enable-kvm -cpu host,+nx

• Updated with successful tutorial, enjoy!

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Nice tutorial however I would not recommend to disable the firewall. Just enable RDP and open the necessary ports.

Thanked by 1TheOnlyDK
  • Important note!

If you reboot server and cant connect for x reason, you can launch rescue mode from Online.net console (I use Ubuntu 16.04 image) and solve any problem do you have

Install Portable QEMU

wget -qO- /tmp https://ia601503.us.archive.org/12/items/vkvm.tar/vkvm.tar.gz | tar xvz -C /tmp

Launch QEMU

/tmp/qemu-system-x86_64 -net nic -net user,hostfwd=tcp::3389-:3389 -m 2048M -localtime -enable-kvm -cpu host,+nx -M pc -smp 2 -vga std -usbdevice tablet -k en-us -hda /dev/sda -boot c -vnc :1

**Connect via VNC: **

YOURSERVERIP:1

On my case I need install Intel Drivers for Network adapter (Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I354 2.5 GbE Backplane (rev 03))

Reboot to normal mode from Online.net console and done! Windows works without any problem!

Enjoy!

• Shot2Shot2 Member

Thanks for the guide.

It allowed me to install Ubuntu 16+ / Debian9 from within Debian 8 - the only OS that could be installed on some archaic Online server (damn you, IDRAC6!) :p

• If we can find drivers for scaleway networking this might work on scaleway too

• @FoxelVox said:
    If we can find drivers for scaleway networking this might work on scaleway too

https://community.online.net/t/installing-windows-server-2012r2-on-vc-vps/3421/5

• @FoxelVox said:
    If we can find drivers for scaleway networking this might work on scaleway too

Scaleway have 2.5 Gbps ethernet like Dedibox XC SSD 2016, I try but dont works, scaleway use some boot script for that vps/baremetal servers.

• Really nice tutorial.

I tried and followed every step... even after the server rebooted.
    But I receive always that error after rebooting. You know why and how I can solve that ?

• @hiloes said:
    Really nice tutorial.

I tried and followed every step... even after the server rebooted.
    But I receive always that error after rebooting. You know why and how I can solve that ?

I think you try install windows 7. What is server details?

• hiloeshiloes Member
    edited August 2018

@robinex said:

>

Indeed. But same error appears with Windows Server 2012 too...
    My config :

Hostname: dedi-par-79752
    CPU: Intel Atom C2750 - 2.4 GHz - 8 core(s)
    RAM: 8GB - DDR3
    Disks: 1x 128GB (SSD SATA)

• @hiloes said:

@robinex said:

>

Indeed. But same error appears with Windows Server 2012 too...
    My config :

Hostname: dedi-par-79752
    CPU: Intel Atom C2750 - 2.4 GHz - 8 core(s)
    RAM: 8GB - DDR3
    Disks: 1x 128GB (SSD SATA)

I thing this problem about SSD and boot mode.

Try disable secure boot, disable fast boot, turn off legacy boot, Boot Made select UEFI and try again.

• How did you figure all of this out? Who taught you this stuff?

• stonedstoned Member
    edited November 2022

Erroneous comment. Not sure how to delete.