Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free AlphaSSL Wildcard and regular SSLs - Page 11
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Free AlphaSSL Wildcard and regular SSLs

Comments

• Try it today and still work

• FiddeFidde Member

@skizoid said:
    Try it today and still work

Yeah, haven't received any reply to my message yet.

Thanked by 1peng
  • InjustsuInjustsu Member
    edited July 2017

Let's Encrypt will start providing wildcard certificates in Jan 2018.
    https://letsencrypt.org/2017/07/06/wildcard-certificates-coming-jan-2018.html

Thanked by 3Fidde lifehome wwwcom
  • @Fidde said:

@skizoid said:

Any update? Curious to know if certs will be revoked or not.

• FiddeFidde Member

@drdrake said:

@Fidde said:

@skizoid said:

Any update? Curious to know if certs will be revoked or not.

No, I've received a marketing email thought about backup services ;)

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

They probably read your reply and thought "shit, he is not wrong!, how do we deal with this then"

Thanked by 1netomx
  • FiddeFidde Member

@AnthonySmith said:
    They probably read your reply and thought "shit, he is not wrong!, how do we deal with this then"

;) Either that or more likely, they're updating their tos/aup :(

• Bit of a silly question, but how much would an unlimited Alpha SSL account cost? Perhaps it's something we could club together and do as a community?

• rauppe31rauppe31 Member, Host Rep

@michaels said:
    Bit of a silly question, but how much would an unlimited Alpha SSL account cost? Perhaps it's something we could club together and do as a community?

I believe it's 20k per year or something like that

• @rauppe31 said:

@michaels said:
    Bit of a silly question, but how much would an unlimited Alpha SSL account cost? Perhaps it's something we could club together and do as a community?

I believe it's 20k per year or something like that

Alright, so who wants to go halfsies with me?

Thanked by 1yomero
  • FiddeFidde Member
    edited July 2017

Got a response, looks like it catched the attention of Globalsign and that's why some of their customers got an email, I suppose some providers doing this even according to the rules got the initial email if some of their customers used the certs outside of their network.

Seems like they've indeed added information about the terms of SSL-certificates on their website now, it even got a separate icon ;) https://www.singlehop.com/legal/

I think it's time to be done with this (I don't feel like fighting both SH and GlobalSign, SH doesn't really have a choice and have been great to me until GlobalSign started complaining to them, thanks to them for making this possible for over a year) and I plan to cancel my services with SH and shut down the service in a few days time, if you want a certificate, issue one now, just go with LE, or buy one (I know this is LET and that would never happen) :P

Hello Fredrik -

My apologies for the delay in reply. I have been trying to gather additional information from our legal and support staff regarding the situation. I am not a technical person, however our billing department plays a role in many client-vendor relationships and thereby, we frequently act as liaison in these custom-like scenarios. I wanted to ensure that I was giving you the correct information in this response.

It was brought to my attention that the terms around SSLs were mistakenly left off our website in the last update we made to it earlier this year. That has been fixed and the terms for SSLs are now available on our legal page. Our resellers are free to say "unlimited free SSL certificates" to their customers, provided that those customers are actually hosted on SingleHop IP space.

Notwithstanding the above, the terms are the result of our master deal with GlobalSign. If GlobalSign feels there is the possibility of misuse or abuse of our agreement, they contact us. We have no choice but to take action and ask the customer to stop doing so in order to preserve the GlobalSign deal for all our customers.

At this time, we don't expect anything will happen with the SSLs already issued and you can leave them be until they expire. However, they cannot be renewed under the SingleHop-GlobalSign SSL deal. If you wish to renew those SSLs please contact us for pricing, and we will work with GlobalSign to discount it for you.

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. I appreciate your assistance.

Regards,

--
    Ryan Peternell | Billing Manager

312-447-2580 | [email protected]

Thanked by 2Falzo MikePT
  • @Fidde said:
    Got a response, looks like it cached the attention of Globalsign and that's why some of their customers got an email, I suppose some providers doing this even according to the rules got the initial email if some of their customers used the certs outside of their network.

Seems like they've indeed added information about the terms of SSL-certificates on their website now, it even got a separate icon ;) https://www.singlehop.com/legal/

I think it's time to be done with this (I don't feel like fighting both SH and GlobalSign, SH doesn't really have a choice and have been great for me until GlobalSign started complaining to them, thanks for them for making this possible for over a year) and I plan to cancel my services with SH and shut down the service in a few days time, if you want a certificate, issue one now, just go with LE, or buy one (I know this is LET and that would never happen) :P

Hello Fredrik -

My apologies for the delay in reply. I have been trying to gather additional information from our legal and support staff regarding the situation. I am not a technical person, however our billing department plays a role in many client-vendor relationships and thereby, we frequently act as liaison in these custom-like scenarios. I wanted to ensure that I was giving you the correct information in this response.

It was brought to my attention that the terms around SSLs were mistakenly left off our website in the last update we made to it earlier this year. That has been fixed and the terms for SSLs are now available on our legal page. Our resellers are free to say "unlimited free SSL certificates" to their customers, provided that those customers are actually hosted on SingleHop IP space.

Notwithstanding the above, the terms are the result of our master deal with GlobalSign. If GlobalSign feels there is the possibility of misuse or abuse of our agreement, they contact us. We have no choice but to take action and ask the customer to stop doing so in order to preserve the GlobalSign deal for all our customers.

At this time, we don't expect anything will happen with the SSLs already issued and you can leave them be until they expire. However, they cannot be renewed under the SingleHop-GlobalSign SSL deal. If you wish to renew those SSLs please contact us for pricing, and we will work with GlobalSign to discount it for you.

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. I appreciate your assistance.

Regards,

--
    Ryan Peternell | Billing Manager

312-447-2580 | [email protected]

Thank you for your contribution to this community! I am sure this has helped a lot of users!

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • EdmondEdmond Member
    edited July 2017

@Fidde Thanks for offering the certificates for the community! Really happy with mine. :)

My certificate expires next March, so it works out, Let's Encrypt issues wildcard certificates in January already. Lets just hope they don't revoke my certificate before it expires, seems to be working for me.

Ehh... time to issue another certificate covering everything before the service ends... D:

• FiddeFidde Member
    edited July 2017
    root@assl:~# shutdown 0
    Shutdown scheduled for Mon 2017-07-17 10:39:37 CEST, use 'shutdown -c' to cancel.
    root@assl:~# Connection to assl.loovit.com closed by remote host.
    Connection to assl.loovit.com closed.

I'll upload the latest version of this along with the nginx-conf on Github when I have the time, I'll probably just create another branch in this repo:

https://github.com/Vittfarne/ASSL

Thanks to everyone that helped, especially @akb for the script, and everyone who translated.

When your certificate is up for renewal, I suggest Let's Encrypt or if hosted on a cPanel server, AutoSSL.

If you haven't read this thread and wondering why this ended, read from link below until this post.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2282467/#Comment_2282467

If you got redirected from assl.loovit.com/net or some other site, this is where it all started and you should join the community for more stuffs like this:

https://www.lowendtalk.com/entry/register

Summer is over for this project :P

• Thank you @Fidde, it has been immensely useful while it lasted.

• EdmondEdmond Member

@Fidde said:

> Shutdown scheduled for Mon 2017-07-17 10:39:37 CEST, use 'shutdown -c' to cancel.
    > root@assl:~# Connection to assl.loovit.com closed by remote host.
    > Connection to assl.loovit.com closed.
    > 

I'll upload the latest version of this along with the nginx-conf on Github when I have the time, I'll probably just create another branch in this repo:

Thanks to everyone that helped, especially @akb for the script, and everyone who translated.

When your certificate is up for renewal, I suggest Let's Encrypt or if hosted on a cPanel server, AutoSSL.

If you haven't read this thread and wondering why this ended, read from link below until this post.

If you got redirected from assl.loovit.com/net or some other site, this is where it all started and you should join the community for more stuffs like this:

Thanks a lot for what you done. :D

For all the people who's going to renew their certificate a year from now. Let's Encrypt will already have wildcard certificates so it's really easy to get the same thing, just issued from a different CA.

• HooLanHooLan Member

Thank you!It is so pity that the project Loovit.net closed!

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Fidde said:

> Shutdown scheduled for Mon 2017-07-17 10:39:37 CEST, use 'shutdown -c' to cancel.
    > root@assl:~# Connection to assl.loovit.com closed by remote host.
    > Connection to assl.loovit.com closed.
    > 

Farewell Assl!

• The script doesn't works perfectly.

• TomTom Member

@khalequzzaman17 said:
    The script doesn't works perfectly.

...read the thread

• What happened to hosting that resell your alphassl?

• justin4869justin4869 Member
    edited July 2017

Cried out loud for shutting down the project
    Maybe there were just too many free riders that don't understand the value.
    Had a good time, thanks and hope we could somehow help.

Maybe we could do some restrictions next time, such as veteran lowendtalkers only?

• WSSWSS Member

It's unlikely to happen again. With LE taking over, and soon to offer wildcards, well- that's pretty much where it'll go for people too cheap to pay for a cert.

Thanked by 2leyton Fidde
  • FiddeFidde Member

@yokowasis said:
    What happened to hosting that resell your alphassl?

If you are talking about subaccounts from my account, they are simply gone, but all existing certs will most likely still work as stated by SH.

@justin4869 said:
    Cried out loud for shutting down the project
    Maybe there were just too many free riders that don't understand the value.
    Had a good time, thanks and hope we could somehow help.

Maybe we could do some restrictions next time, such as veteran lowendtalkers only?

If anyone is interested in starting a "sequel" it's as simple as signing up with SH with their Shield Plus service and running the script from Github. Then you can modify it as you need and add protection (password or whatnot). You can ask for help, etc, but I won't actively get involved.

@WSS said:
    It's unlikely to happen again. With LE taking over, and soon to offer wildcards, well- that's pretty much where it'll go for people too cheap to pay for a cert.

^This

• justin4869justin4869 Member
    edited July 2017

We'd like to, but such B2B sites usually come with stunning price...

What's the pricing for minimal services that include the Shield Plus services?

Thanked by 2Tom hotsnow
  • Fidde said: signing up with SH with their Shield Plus service

How much would this run someone at the cheapest?
    Looks like $40/m for a Cloud VPS is the cheaptest option, how much is Shield Plus?

• Is it 100% confirmed that previous ssl certs will not be revoked?

• ShadeShade Member
    edited July 2017

drdrake said: Is it 100% confirmed that previous ssl certs will not be revoked?

No

• VirtualByteVirtualByte Member
    edited August 2017

Mine got revoked today :( (only not working on android chrome, desktop still fine)
    Rip wildcard, welcome acme.

• VirtualByte said: Mine got revoked today :( (only not working on android chrome, desktop still fine) Rip wildcard, welcome acme.

how do you know it revoked? if your domain is private, can you share screenshot,

This discussion has been closed.