Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for an Ubuntu 16.04 KVM VPS in South Africa
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for an Ubuntu 16.04 KVM VPS in South Africa

CohanCohan Member
edited July 2017 in Requests

Budget isn't really an issue but I don't need anything more than to host a single WordPress site with minimal traffic occasionally bursty. I know my request may be slightly touching outside of the LEB definition but I've been lurking here for years and to be honest don't want to get sold the Eiffel tower to host a small WordPress site on that you might get on the non-lowend hosting forums.

Ideally looking for Ubuntu 16.04 on KVM. OpenVZ doesn't tend to play nicely with ServerPilot but it's not a deal breaker to have to set up the site manually.

Specifically the ideal location would be in or around the 'main' cities - Cape Town or Johannesburg - Not a solid requirement I just imagine they have the better network connectivity. I do realise I could get better for cheaper and probably faster outside of SA, but unfortunately server location is in the spec and the spec is locked in.

Currently been using Zappiehost but at the time of writing the server there has been down for 20 hours with no reply or status page update so I've got to bail on them.

Looking for (but not strict, if it's more it's more)

VZ Type:
Ideally KVM but ANY

Number of Cores: 2+
RAM: 1G+
Disk Space: 15G+
Disk Type: SSD

Bandwidth: Ideally 1T/mo but will not likely ever hit that so any, overage charges or cost-per-gig-per-month is fine
Port Speed: 100megabit or more

DDoS Protection:
Not specifically but wouldn't turn a host down for having it

Number of IPs:

Budget:
Ideally up to $25/mo (~£20) but wont balk at higher

Billing period:
Monthly

Comments

• PhotonVPS possibly?

Thanked by 1Cohan
  • host1plus?

• CohanCohan Member

Ideally I'm looking for somewhere with good reviews or better yet a host someone can vouch for. It's simply a case of I've never hosted in the area before so I don't already have a go-to host - I'll check out what I can find on those suggested so far thank you

• @PhotonVPS is active on the forum, thats a really good bonus.

Thanked by 1Cohan
  • brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited July 2017

nvm

• sinsin Member
    edited July 2017

@Cohan said:
    Ideally I'm looking for somewhere with good reviews or better yet a host someone can vouch for. It's simply a case of I've never hosted in the area before so I don't already have a go-to host - I'll check out what I can find on those suggested so far thank you

PhotonVPS is owned by Psychz which is a reputable provider

Thanked by 1Cohan
  • If you're still looking, PM me.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

WebAfrica.co.za

• PhotonVPSPhotonVPS Member, Host Rep

We're in Johannesburg, ZA

http://lg.jnb.psychz.net/

Thanked by 1Cohan
  • sarahsarah Member

Just curious why you specifically want a vps in south africa. Is this for latency? Won't using WordPress with some cdn work?

• CohanCohan Member

Thanks for the responses all, going to give @PhotonVPS a try :)

@sarah don't even get me started. I don't want a vps in south africa. :P I've exhaused all my arguin' though, SA it is! I think someone may have heard it was good for SEO or something like that at some point.. Like I say don't get me started.

• PhotonVPSPhotonVPS Member, Host Rep

Thanks for giving us a try!