Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alibaba Cloud Offer - $30 / year
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Alibaba Cloud Offer - $30 / year

Alibaba Cloud offer $30 / Year - 1 Core, 1GB RAM, 40GB SSD Disk, 1TB monthly transfer.

Campaign

Comments

• r0xzr0xz Member

1 year only

• fanfan Veteran

Based on my personal experience with them, I suggest avoid alibabacloud for any serious usage. Expect robotic, hostile and ignorant support, tons of spam emails and phone calls (possibily related with domain name details).

Thanked by 1hanoi
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

They're a pretty big name in the market, I'd say it's a killer deal. I've no experience with their service though, so I just signed up. Seems to definitely be something intended to compete with Amazon directly. Server performs fine for the price, neither exceptional nor problematic.

Their "web hosting" offering is interesting too.

• So it's not recurring?

• @danninov said:
    So it's not recurring?

Nope, only for a year and you can't renew it.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Meh, like anyone here goes a year without provider hopping for something anyway :P

• I've heard some bad news about them that they might replace your IP addresses at some random time due to some business decisions. They would just take away your old IPs and assign you new ones. Be prepared if you run some important services on it.

Also on their Chinese local version they include some backdoor services in the template by default, filtering the network or reporting running processes etc.

Thanked by 2jar yomero
  • kkonekokkoneko Member
    edited July 2017

I have one JP vps with them, connection is really good to china. Well they're basically AWS based on china.

• YuraYura Member

@msg7086 said:
    Also on their Chinese local version they include some backdoor services in the template by default, filtering the network or reporting running processes etc.

Tnx, added them to FraudRecord

Oh, wait. That's only for clients with "negative attitude", not Providers! ;) They probably just gave themselves a permission to install backdoors in the ToS and that makes it alright...

• It says USD 30 year is 84% off. So after first year goes up to USD 187.5 year.

• BAKABAKA Member

@msg7086 said:
    I've heard some bad news about them that they might replace your IP addresses at some random time due to some business decisions. They would just take away your old IPs and assign you new ones. Be prepared if you run some important services on it.

Agree.

To be more accurate, the YunDun (cloud shield) services are (allegedly) related to security. The upside is they do provide protection/detection against usual attacks & malware. The downside is they have very high privilege and may do anything to your VPS.

There was an accident 2yrs ago that YunDun went wrong and deleted executable files (vim, top, apt-get, etc.).
    https://www.v2ex.com/t/217568
    Rumors (not proved yet) goes that they've done beyond security purpose, such as monitoring & filtering network transfer.

Thanked by 1WebDude
  • TionTion Member

I expected an insane 1 TB China $30 deal. (¬_¬")

• @dcamero said:
    It says USD 30 year is 84% off. So after first year goes up to USD 187.5 year.

Doesn't that seem like a big deterrent to get people off that $30 USD year promo. Certainly $187.5 a year is more than 6 times the price of $30. They are doing a lot of crazy promotions to get free advertising.

• For now, they also started offering $300 credit for 60 days.

• Sorry to dig up old thread... I just had to give my poor experience with Alibaba Cloud.

@cyberpersons said:
    For now, they also started offering $300 credit for 60 days.

If you look at the details of $300 credit for 60 days, you're only allowed one VM instance. The type depends on your free trial, but you can't use $300 on VMs for 1 month based on their restriction. I found them to be scammy and really tough to deal with ESL (English as a Second Language) tech support. They have no compassion and terrible customer service.

I gave them scans of my credit card and passport. They still denied me trial after I sent them all this personal information.

https://www.alibabacloud.com/campaign/free-trial?spm=a3c0i.7911826.1050915.cube1.4419737bqMieOF#floor4

Thanked by 1JerryHou
  • @HowLowCanYouGo said:
    Sorry to dig up old thread... I just had to give my poor experience with Alibaba Cloud.

@cyberpersons said:

If you look at the details of $300 credit for 60 days, you're only allowed one VM instance. The type depends on your free trial, but you can't use $300 on VMs for 1 month based on their restriction. I found them to be scammy and really tough to deal with ESL (English as a Second Language) tech support. They have no compassion and terrible customer service.

I gave them scans of my credit card and passport. They still denied me trial after I sent them all this personal information.

https://www.alibabacloud.com/campaign/free-trial?spm=a3c0i.7911826.1050915.cube1.4419737bqMieOF#floor4

Was it possible to use $300 for Compute earlier?

• @HowLowCanYouGo said:
    Sorry to dig up old thread... I just had to give my poor experience with Alibaba Cloud.

@cyberpersons said:

I assume because their support team bases in China and not many English speaking support tech yet...

• @cyberpersons said:
    Was it possible to use $300 for Compute earlier?

I tried within the last year, so I don't know what it was like before. I did set up two instances after spending $25. Not impressed with the quality, speed, or the web panel to deploy them. Compared to AWS, GCloud, or Azure, they are way behind on UI/UX.