Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap/Free nameserver service?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap/Free nameserver service?

Hello!

I have some domains registered from different registrars and I'd like to manage them using common nameservers. I used to use RAGE4 (rage4.com) that was provided for free due to their partnership with Prometeus/IperWeb. I then moved to 0ns, a free service provided for whoever had a server with Prometeus, and it worked great until I canceled the server.

So now I'm using a grand total of four different control panels to manage my domains, one slower than the other (OVH, Gandi, Mrdomain, ...), and I'm looking for alternatives.

My needs are modest, less than 10-15 records per zone and probably less than one million requests per year, but most of the services i found don't permit low TTLs (for dyn domains) or limit the number of entries. Anycast would be a really nice option.

So far i tried FreeDNS by he.net but apparently i can't add my personal domain for "abuse" reasons, freedns.afraid.org has a minimum of 1 hour as TTL (not properly suited for my home connection dyn dns) and CloudFlare... meh.

Can somebody suggest me something i could use? I may consider paid services if they are worth it.

Thanks!

(i hope this is the right place)

Comments

• What's wrong with a CloudFlare DNS? I've had 100% uptime on their nameservers since I started with them.

Plus, they have an easy-to-use API and low TTLs, per your request.

Thanked by 3netomx Pwner sin
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

I use CloudFlare to manage DNS on all of my domains, never had any issues with it.

Thanked by 2netomx sin
  • edfoxedfox Member

Is it possible to use CloudFlare without having any traffic (except DNS) routed through their network? (aka, acting only as a DNS)
    Last time I had some issues because the magic control panel kept enabling options I didn't want.

• hzrhzr Member
    edited July 2017

edfox said: Is it possible to use CloudFlare without having any traffic (except DNS) routed through their network? (aka, acting only as a DNS) Last time I had some issues because the magic control panel kept enabling options I didn't want.

I use cf dnsonly - https://www.cloudflare.com/dns/dns-firewall/ for some stuff. There is no web involved.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@edfox said:
    Is it possible to use CloudFlare without having any traffic (except DNS) routed through their network? (aka, acting only as a DNS)
    Last time I had some issues because the magic control panel kept enabling options I didn't want.

Just don't enable CDN for the entry. I never use the CDN.

• https://dns.he.net/ works for me

Thanked by 1asf
  • edfoxedfox Member

@crashdump said:
    https://dns.he.net/ works for me

It'd work for me too if they allowed numeric domains. (e.g. 1234.com, 817.net)

• WSSWSS Member

I just use NSD. I have it spread across a couple providers.

• edfoxedfox Member

@WSS said:

You mean installing the software and setting my own dns server up?

• qtwrkqtwrk Member

one more for CF, just don't enable that orange cloud

also I had used namecheap's freeDNS before I got on CF.

• WSSWSS Member

@edfox said:

@WSS said:

Yup. It really isn't all that difficult to deal with. I assume you have a couple different VPS you could do so on.

• qtwrkqtwrk Member

@WSS said:

@edfox said:

@WSS said:

Yup. It really isn't all that difficult to deal with. I assume you have a couple different VPS you could do so on.

but that also means one more server to maintain ...

• edfoxedfox Member

@WSS said:

Yeah i have four VPS but sadly only one has an actual IPv4 where i can bind a DNS service.
    I just found that 1984 provides free dns, the fact that they provide DNSSEC and are a privacy-oriented host makes it really attractive to me.

• WSSWSS Member

@qtwrk said:

@WSS said:

@edfox said:

@WSS said:

but that also means one more server to maintain ...

Uh.. a namesever hasn't changed much in the last 20 years. About 64MB(+) RAM and a couple low ports open.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Just go for CloudFlare. Its free and works great.

• WSSWSS Member

@edfox said:
    I just found that 1984 provides free dns, the fact that they provide DNSSEC and are a privacy-oriented host makes it really attractive to me.

Never dealt with them. Having DNSSEC is a good idea, since the entire protocol is really broken. Setup your own slaves if possible- because you're going to want SOME backup.

• edfoxedfox Member

@WSS said:
    Never dealt with them. Having DNSSEC is a good idea, since the entire protocol is really broken. Setup your own slaves if possible- because you're going to want SOME backup.

Is setting up slaves made more difficult by DNSSEC?

• WSSWSS Member

Depends on how much of a PITA it is to get them to talk to your primary nameservers. With nsd, it takes an extra few seconds.

• WSSWSS Member

Also, obligatory: HOLY FUCK A TALKING DOG!

• qtwrkqtwrk Member

@edfox said:

@WSS said:

Yeah i have four VPS but sadly only one has an actual IPv4 where i can bind a DNS service.

I remembered CF also provide DNSSEC , what exactly does it mean by "privacy-oriented host" ?

• edfoxedfox Member
    edited July 2017

@WSS said:

Get your facts straight. I'm a fox!

@qtwrk said:
    I remembered CF also provide DNSSEC , what exactly does it mean by "privacy-oriented host" ?

From https://www.1984hosting.com/about/

We state that 1984 as a company and its officers will always go the extra mile to protect our customers' civil rights, including the freedom of expression, the freedom of the press, the right to anonymity and privacy.

• WSSWSS Member

@edfox said:

@WSS said:

Wait- so you smell-worse?

Good luck with your DNS. If you've EVER dealt with bind, nsd will be a walk in the park.

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • nqservicesnqservices Member
    edited July 2017

Check cloudns.net

They have both free and also cheap dns services.

• edfoxedfox Member
    edited July 2017

@WSS said:

@edfox said:

Wait- so you smell-worse?

N-no. I just have a fluffier tail that's easier to play with and bite.
    And doggos are stupid. I'm not stupid!

Good luck with your DNS. If you've EVER dealt with bind, nsd will be a walk in the park.

I love bind. Every time I have to insert a record via an overengineered html5-jquery-bootstrap interface my heart hurts

• WSSWSS Member

nsd is bind, but better.

• edfoxedfox Member
    edited July 2017

@WSS said:
    nsd is bind, but better.

Murr.

• WSSWSS Member

Don't do that shit here.

• Baahhh

Thanked by 2WSS bugrakoc
  • hzrhzr Member
    edited July 2017

edfox said: Murr.

yiff yiff

namecheap has a free dns service, maybe nsone or google cloud ns (free credit for a year)