Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are there (hourly billing) providers which allow for ovz container import?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Are there (hourly billing) providers which allow for ovz container import?

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited July 2017 in Requests

If possible hourly billed would be great. If not that's okay, too.

Thanked by 1scaveney

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Digital Ocean ? @Jarland

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

AFAIK DO is KVM only, so that wouldn't be supported unless he runs nested virtualization there.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@MikePT said:
    AFAIK DO is KVM only, so that wouldn't be supported unless he runs nested virtualization there.

I might have misunderstood Mike, but I think @Ympker is looking to do just that - be able to import his VM on some hourly billed server.

NVM, after re-reading it 3 times I might have misunderstood :)

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • IshaqIshaq Member

@MikePT said: nested virtualization there.

Nested virtualization is not necessary for OpenVZ.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Ishaq said:

@MikePT said: nested virtualization there.

Nested virtualization is not necessary for OpenVZ.

That's correct. It's simply a container that shares the kernel with the host node. Didn't recall it :-).

@Clouvider said:

@MikePT said:

I might have misunderstood Mike, but I think @Ympker is looking to do just that - be able to import his VM on some hourly billed server.

Well, nah, I did misunderstand actually. This is possible with DO or any KVM provider. No nested virtualization needed! Plain simple to do with a KVM so DO is a solid choice there.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

I don't do hourly, but I can import your VPS. What location do you require?

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@Clouvider said:

@MikePT said:

At this point I do not care whether KVM is offered and I can import my ovz just like that or it is an OVZ host that let's me import a container. However if KVM a second IP would be needed (for the container) unlike with a server that is ovz natively (because in this case Id expect m ovz container to simply override the default ovz template and be adjusted accordingly). Do I make sense? Anyway eithet is fine:

a) I rent a server that is OpenVZ and has 1xIPv4. I import my container and the IPv4 is used for my container.

b) I rent a KVM Server and have 2x IPv4 to assign one IP to the Ovz container.

• nunimnunim Member
    edited July 2017

@Ympker said: ....

I'm not sure what you're running but you're looking for hourly so I'm assuming it's not something publicly accessible? Could either forward the ports you need to the container, or use IPv6.

With something like DO though, you'd need to create an image of the KVM, or snapshot, so that you can quickly restore it, otherwise you'd have to mess with installing Solus or Proxmox every time. At that point why not just setup a native KVM server, setup your config and save that?

Depending on the complexity of your config, you may be better off just writing an install/config script, then you can spin up any VPS without having to worry about importing an image.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

@Ympker said:

@Clouvider said:

@MikePT said:

At this point I do not care whether KVM is offered and I can import my ovz just like that or it is an OVZ host that let's me import a container. However if KVM a second IP would be needed (for the container) unlike with a server that is ovz natively (because in this case Id expect m ovz container to simply override the default ovz template and be adjusted accordingly). Do I make sense? Anyway eithet is fine:

a) I rent a server that is OpenVZ and has 1xIPv4. I import my container and the IPv4 is used for my container.

You could also NAT the KVM IP -- since the KVM vps wouldn't have anything important listening you can forward pretty much every port to the OpenVZ vps.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited July 2017

Yeah I guess I could also NAT the ip but the whole idea of this to quickly be able to spin my container up, adjust it a bit and take it down. Is not a public service as such but needs to be publicly accessible (web stuff and gameserver stuff). Most time I probably wont even need the server longer than a couple hours. Just trying/adjusting some stuff, optimizing speed and wrapping things up to export as ovz again. Thus Id like a to-go import option for ovz rather than having to each time set things up again to make ovz work. What I am basically doing is forking the LGSM (Linux GameServer Management) project and creating the optimized OVZ Vm for each gameserver along with some testing. Then in the end create a large bash script for any KVM server to install ovz and pull different ovz containers based on what game they wanna install and make them run. Last but not least adding a self hosted small node.js web-interface to start/stop the server, add mods and edit config.
    The best image to describe what I want for the hosting is basically something like Virtualizors "import ovz" feature. To be ready in a go. But I doubt there is an hourly Virtualizor resource pool host around here and monthly will cost me more than I am willing to pay given this is a hobby project and it might finish in a couple weeks, but maybe also in a couple months depending on motivation and free time.

• @Ympker sounds like a job for Docker to me, you could have a set of container images with different setups and spin them on demand.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@crashdump said:
    @Ympker sounds like a job for Docker to me, you could have a set of container images with different setups and spin them on demand.

Never used it but may look into it :)