Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm looking for a cheap dedicated server in Europe with not too high requirements.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I'm looking for a cheap dedicated server in Europe with not too high requirements.

DrDirectorDrDirector Member
edited July 2017 in General

Hello. I'm looking for a cheap, dedicated server, with the following requirements:

• 2GB or more RAM.

• 1 or 2 cores, min. 1,6Ghz CPU.

• 25GB or more SSD drive.

• 1 Static IPv4 address.

• Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

• Port Speed / Bandwidth: 1Gb / 1-2TB per month.

I'm hosting a server for an old Multiplayer game. It's only used to browse the list of hosts, rating system, database queries, etc. (the game is not simulated on the server and it has maximum ~40 players online at the same time). I also host a low-used website and forums.

I'm tired of shared VPS servers, because every time there are problems with the "noisy" neighbors. Sometimes they abuse CPU, sometimes they abuse HDD. Recently I have a problem where a single MySQL query takes around 3 minutes, because disk I/O is at 99.9%. That's why I would like to move to a dedicated one. The MP server doesn't generate much money, so I would like to find something really cheap. I'm not sure how cheap a server with those requirements can be, so I'll wait for all propositions. I would be satisfied with something as cheap as maximum 10 USD per month, but of course I understand that it might be impossible and I could consider other offers.

Have a nice day.

Comments

• ashkulzashkulz Member
    edited July 2017

Try Scaleway C2S: https://www.scaleway.com/pricing/

CPU is not fast and port speed is less, but you get it for 12EUR.

Or online: https://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-sc

• seanhoseanho Member

Perhaps consider a BuyVM slice in Luxembourg? $7/mo for guaranteed half-core, burstable to full node capacity. Lots of satisfied customers here.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

Please consider our KVM SSD package. While it is not dedicated, I guarantee you won't have IO problems like the ones you described. And there are always spare CPU cycles with this package.

https://www.wishosting.com/order/main/packages/VPS/?group_id=2

• I'm sorry to hear the issues you've had in the past but in this case I think you would be better with a vps maybe even get better performance than a cheaper dedi. I run a few game servers from clouvider and buyvm I'd recommend buyvm for this if the location is not a issue.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • YuraYura Member
    edited July 2017

-

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

10 USD is a very small budget. You'll have to go with either OVH or Online.net and I don't recommend it.

I'd say go with a good VPS provider with guaranteed resources instead. You'll get much more for your money.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member

There are a lot options for a vps, with dedicated resources. You will get better resources minus the hastle of maintain a whole node.

• BuyVM slices. Slice 4096 (MB Ram) with 1 dedicated core and ssd costs only 15$. Much better than a 2-4 core old dedis and 5400 hdd. In Luxemburg.
    • Netcup kvm "root" vps. In Germany. 2 dedicated E5-2680V4 cores, 6 GB DDR4, 40 GB SSD, 10€.

For dedicated, try to online.net, ikoula, kimsufi. Solutions from 20€/pm with decent hardware

Thanked by 2Francisco Falzo
  • If you could up your budget to 15 euro, then you should try the c2750 8 core 8gb 128gb ssd/1t hhd at oneprovider.com.

• magicvpnmagicvpn Member
    edited July 2017

Wholesale fits your needs: https://www.wholesaleinternet.net/dedicated/
    They have a 10$ server with 100mbps port (10$ server is out of stock)

There is also FirstHeberg for 12,1€ Thier cheapest dedicated server reaches 900+mbps but this can also be lower during peak hours (never had this)
    (I don't recommend them, When you get DDoSed they think you are spoofing :') )

As Cloudvider and jvnadr already said get 'VDS' (VPS with dedicated resources)

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member

magicvpn said: Wholesale

They are in US, Op said he want the service in Europe, only. And I don't recommend firsthebert, also, the support is far from acceptable according to my past experience...

edited July 2017

@jvnadr said:

magicvpn said: Wholesale

They are in US, Op said he want the service in Europe, only. And I don't recommend firsthebert, also, the support is far from acceptable according to my past experience...

Ah, I answered too fast, and didn't see location: Europe.

Firstheberg has bad support, They don't know the difference between 'DDoS attack' and 'Spoofing'.
    I would never do something with them, after one DDoS attack they limited my connection to 150mbps, After 1 day I got 500mbps by contacting support then I gor my 1gbps back with the warning that goes like this:

`Hello,

I've just to unlock the port of your server.
    Please note that if you received or sent a new attack, your server will be suspended definitly and no refund possibility.

Cordialement,
    L'équipe FirstHeberg.com`

This is for the dedicated server of ~12,1€.

• I second this KVM-SSD. Incredibly fast IO.

Setup an aggressive backup schedule though. (It's RAID0 afaik) I'm using it as a cache server.

@exception0x876 said:
    Please consider our KVM SSD package. While it is not dedicated, I guarantee you won't have IO problems like the ones you described. And there are always spare CPU cycles with this package.

Thanked by 1exception0x876
  • DrDirectorDrDirector Member
    edited July 2017

Thanks for all the answers! Even though I followed lowendtalk for a longer while I found many useful information when specified the question. I'll be analyzing everything later, but for now I see that the KVM SSD could work too. I just don't know if I can trust those shared servers more :D

An explanation why I want a server in Europe: The game uses players as hosts (direct connection between them), but I added some special feature that routes traffic between players when both of them are behind Symmetric NAT (for example 3G Internet users, so they're able to play anyway). Since most of players are from Europe it's good to get a server in Europe for better pings.

Why low price?:
    It's because the server/website doesn't generate much money by ads, and I don't really want to "invest" in it from my own money.

New propositions are still welcome. Once again thanks for the quick help!

Thanked by 1iKeyZ
    edited July 2017

Forgot to mention, https://www.worldstream.nl/special.php Cheap low end servers but no SSD and no 1gbps on your budget.

• This should work: https://console.clouvider.co.uk/cart/kvm-virtual-dedicated-servers/
    It's a decent company and I'm sure they'll act upon any issues you'll encounter like noisy neighbours etc.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member

DrDirector said: I just don't know if I can trust those shared servers more

There are a lot of LET providers that offer excellent service and stability in their KVM vps.
    BuyShared, Netcup that offers dedicated resources (CPU core and RAM) has been tested by me, so, highly recommended.
    Also, you can try a bigger vm by InceptionHosting. @AnthonySmith 's nodes are powerful enough and he is a very capable guy, you will not face noisy neighbors, ever.
    There is Linode also, one of the very popular higher end providers that now having lower prices. Their 2048 plan fits your needs @ 10$ and they have UK and DE locations, among others.
    And RamNode, excellent at their service but a little higher priced (20€) for 4096 RAM, dedicated core and 100 GB SSD with 1TB speed and 5TB traffic.
    If you go with any of those, I guarantee you that for me and for a few years, the service they provided is top notch.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • The following ones are the ones that come to my mind for Europe under 10€.

Digicube, Worldstream, Scaleway, Online, Kimsufi, Ikoula.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2017

@Saragoldfarb said:
    This should work: https://console.clouvider.co.uk/cart/kvm-virtual-dedicated-servers/
    It's a decent company and I'm sure they'll act upon any issues you'll encounter like noisy neighbours etc.

Thank you very much for the very kind words and recommendation :)!

• @MagicalTrain said:
    The following ones are the ones that come to my mind for Europe under 10€.

Digicube, Worldstream, Scaleway, Online, Kimsufi, Ikoula.

Online.net, Kimsufi have setup costs (Not sure about the others)

• HaroldHarold Member

You can check-out Dedicated Server provided by Namecheap. Plans of Namecheap Dedicated Server starts from €50.58/mon, provides you 8GB DDR3, 500GB Hard drive, 10 TB Bandwidth and much more in the basic plan. You can save money by availing Namecheap coupons.

• HaendlerITHaendlerIT Member, Host Rep

Hi, i can offer Intel Celeron J1900 (4 x 2 GHz), 8 GB DDR3, 2 TB HDD for 19,99€/month.
    Location is Frankfurt a.M. Germany

If you pay for 6 month or more at once we can do 16,99€/month or 120 GB SSD instead of HDD.

• @DrDirector said:
    Hello. I'm looking for a cheap, dedicated server, with the following requirements:

• 2GB or more RAM.

• 1 or 2 cores, min. 1,6Ghz CPU.

• 25GB or more SSD drive.

• 1 Static IPv4 address.

• Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

• Port Speed / Bandwidth: 1Gb / 1-2TB per month.

I'm hosting a server for an old Multiplayer game. It's only used to browse the list of hosts, rating system, database queries, etc. (the game is not simulated on the server and it has maximum ~40 players online at the same time). I also host a low-used website and forums.

I'm tired of shared VPS servers, because every time there are problems with the "noisy" neighbors. Sometimes they abuse CPU, sometimes they abuse HDD. Recently I have a problem where a single MySQL query takes around 3 minutes, because disk I/O is at 99.9%. That's why I would like to move to a dedicated one. The MP server doesn't generate much money, so I would like to find something really cheap. I'm not sure how cheap a server with those requirements can be, so I'll wait for all propositions. I would be satisfied with something as cheap as maximum 10 USD per month, but of course I understand that it might be impossible and I could consider other offers.

Have a nice day.

Try https://www.tranzmedia.com/vps-hosting

• DrDirectorDrDirector Member
    edited July 2017

Thanks for all replies guys!

I decided to buy the netcup kvm "root" vps with a yearly subscription.
    Using a link to their old offer I was able to buy it for 7€ per month.
    Here is a benchmark:

System Info
        -----------
        Processor       : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2680 v4 @ 2.40GHz
        CPU Cores       : 2
        Frequency       : 2399.996 MHz
        Memory          : 5967 MB
        Swap            :  MB
        Uptime          : 1 day, 19:02,

OS              : Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS
        Arch            : x86_64 (64 Bit)
        Kernel          : 4.4.0-83-generic
        Hostname        : *

Speedtest (IPv4 only)
        ---------------------
        Your public IPv4 is *.*.*.*

Location                Provider        Speed
        CDN                     Cachefly        73.5MB/s

Atlanta, GA, US         Coloat          14.1MB/s
        Dallas, TX, US          Softlayer       12.6MB/s
        Seattle, WA, US         Softlayer       9.58MB/s
        San Jose, CA, US        Softlayer       10.3MB/s
        Washington, DC, US      Softlayer       2.95MB/s

Tokyo, Japan            Linode          9.37MB/s
        Singapore               Softlayer       6.20MB/s

Rotterdam, Netherlands  id3.net         49.4MB/s
        Haarlem, Netherlands    Leaseweb        71.4MB/s

Disk Speed
        ----------
        I/O (1st run)   : 992 MB/s
        I/O (2nd run)   : 982 MB/s
        I/O (3rd run)   : 976 MB/s
        Average I/O     : 983.333 MB/s

Speedtest: http://www.speedtest.net/result/6484630688.png

It has 2 dedicated CPU cores, and nice SSD I/O. No connection problems and acceptable speeds to servers in EU. I didn't experience any "FUP" on speeds yet (they can limit speeds if using average of 80Mb/s for 15 mins), but anyway my monthly transfer is ~500GB so it should never be a problem.

Once again thanks for all answers, they were very helpful in choosing the VPS.

Thanked by 2williclarkam Falzo
  • @magicvpn said:

hello,did you meet payment issue when you pay them?
    I have tried to choose a server but I can't pay.

• @xiaoxiang said:

@magicvpn said:

hello,did you meet payment issue when you pay them?
    I have tried to choose a server but I can't pay.

?

• msnmsn Member

@exception0x876 said:

They are the best VPS provider I had so far! Machines are super fast and reliable, Support ist very helpfull and fast.
    The only thing, I would like to see is automatic recurring payments and yearly subscription with a small discount!

Thanked by 1exception0x876
  • FredQcFredQc Member

DrDirector said: Here is a benchmark:

Could you run a Geekbench benchmark please ?

wget http://cdn.primatelabs.com/Geekbench-4.1.0-Linux.tar.gz
    tar zxf Geekbench-4.1.0-Linux.tar.gz
    chmod +x build.pulse/dist/Geekbench-4.1.0-Linux/geekbench4
    ./build.pulse/dist/Geekbench-4.1.0-Linux/geekbench4

Then past the result link here ;-)

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2017

HostingINDIA said: try http://livemnc.com/dedicated-servers/linux-dedicated-server/ We are best scammers and spammers. Worst host in the world. Buy our service because we're incompetent douchebags.

Back again? With a different account? lol

@jarland

• teamaccteamacc Member
    edited July 2017

@HostingINDIA said:
    try http://livemnc.com/dedicated-servers/linux-dedicated-server/ We are best scammers and spammers. Worst host in the world. Buy our service because we're incompetent douchebags.

How many times do you need to get banned to get the idea behind it? Just get out and stay out.