Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Clouvider to roll out some new updates!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Clouvider to roll out some new updates!

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited June 2017 in Providers

Dear Ympker,

Recently there have been exciting changes to our infrastructure. @Clouvider has successfully implemented first part of our network upgrade program. It was a busy year for us and we’re very happy that with thanks to extensive testing and advance planning, we managed to implement all changes without inflicting downtime to our Customers. These improvements prove our commitment to delivering high reliability and high-quality solutions for our Customers. With the completion of phase 1 we’re happy to announce that we’ve doubled monthly traffic limit for all Customers! *

Please continue reading to find out more.

All the best,
Dominik Nowacki, Managing Director

New Network Points of Presence
We have introduced 2 new PoPs – Equinix LD8 (formerly known as Telecity Harbour Exchange 8/9) on the Isle of Dogs in London and a brand-new cutting edge Datacentre, Telehouse North 2 in London Docklands.

MPLS-TE Implementation

We have successfully implemented MPLS-TE to our Service Provider Network. MPLS, Multi-Protocol Label Switching, with Traffic Engineering extension allows us to improve reliability of our network by reducing switchover time to sub 5ms in case of link failure. It also gives us great flexibility to provide new services like Point-to-Point links between sites and Point-to-Multipoint links between multiple datacentres or Customer premises. It also allows us to offer today an ability to provide resilient servers in two or more locations. MPLS is also used to create our geographically dispersed routing sites topology.

We chose brand new Juniper MX104/MX240 and MX480 Trio-3D based silicon, each with redundant routing engines. Juniper is an industry leader in routing and switching equipment for Datacentres and Connectivity Providers. With the functionality such as non-stop routing and graceful switchover we can minimise impact of network failure even more. This choice allowed us to implement BGP FlowSpec to aid DDoS mitigation for both IPv4 and IPv6 in all our PoPs. Our MX240 and MX480 routers are 100GE Ethernet ready.

Dark Fibre and DWDM

We moved our core network to Dark Fibre and implemented DWDM on all our core facing links what allows us to upgrade our internal capacity to 800Gbps to each of our PoPs

New Compute PoP

In additional to Telehouse North 2 being our new Network PoP, we have also started offering Dedicated Servers and Colocation out of this new cutting-edge location. To learn more about Telehouse North 2 facility look at the Virtual Tour here: Please let us know if you’re interested in heaving a tour of our new facility (subject to checks and availability).

New Carriers

Over the past 6 months we have added 50 Gbps of capacity to our network. We have a dedicated 10G private interconnect with Liberty Global, the owner of Virgin Media in the UK and UPC in Europe among others. We’ve added 10G to a brand new carrier, Telia, which is a global Top 2 for the number of IPv4 addresses transited. To improve connectivity to single homed Cogent Customers we have added 10G to Cogent, Cogent is Top 2 for the number of different networks (Autonomous Systems) they connect to. We have also added 10G to our existing carrier NTT and 10G to another existing carrier GTT. We’re looking to add 10G to another of our existing carriers, Level3, in Q1 2018. Clouvider currently boast direct access to all Top 5 Tier-1s by the number of networks and prefixes transited.

Our peering list with LINX has improved significantly, we now peer with all major UK eyeball providers (with exception of Virgin Media that connects via the dedicated interconnect through their parent, Liberty Global).

Double traffic allowance!

With the added network capacity, we’re pleased to say that we’re DOUBLING traffic allowance to all our Customers *, so if your bandwidth limit was 10TB, it’s now 20TB, you don’t have to do anything to activate it!

• This change only affects Customers with monthly bandwidth allowance billing model.

Geographically dispersed routing sites

Our new upgraded network design features geographically dispersed routing sites. We currently pick up Telia, NTT, GTT and LINX (London Internet Exchange) LAN 1 in Telehouse North 2, Cogent, Liberty Global and LINX LAN 2 in Equinix LD8 and Level3 in Virtus LON1 (Enfield). This means that each of our MPLS PoPs can survive autonomously in case of the core network failure or issues at any of the PoPs.

Partnership with LINX

Clouvider has become LINX ConneXions partner. With our reseller port we can provide access to LINX with 1 Gbps unmetered, dedicated port for a promotional price of £150 per month, including backhaul, on your existing port with us! Send email to sales or your account manager if you’re interested in taking up this limited offer. **

** This offer is not valid if you’re already connected to LINX. Valid for Customers with active port to our network only. Offer is time limited and available until end of year only. Stock is limited. Clouvider’s T&C’s and LINX’s T&C’s and MoA apply. Ask us for more information.

DDoS protection upgrades

Until recently we’ve been relying solely on NTT to deliver us DDoS protection services. We have now introduced local DDoS mitigation capabilities with an on-site DDoS mitigation appliance and BGP FlowSpec allowing us to react faster to DDoS attacks, and start cleaning traffic for our Customers quickly, without waiting for NTT to start the mitigation. We will continue our cooperation with NTT so they can continue helping us with more advanced or demanding attacks.

Comments

• Big if true

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@corbpie said:
    Big if true

Thanks, we're doing our best!

• TomTom Member

Just got the email & just got my first proper service from @Clouvider yesterday! :) Excited

Thanked by 2Clouvider Rhys
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Sounds exciting! :)

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

If I ever need service in the UK, @Clouvider will be the first place I look. Seems like a well-run operation and participates here.

Thanked by 2Clouvider dwtbf
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

Yeah, but still no $5/month Atoms so w/e.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@Nekki said:
    Yeah, but still no $5/month Atoms so w/e.

He is one of these people, which do not offer services below the cost.

Kimsufi does that in such a huge and automated scale, also with cheap power.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

Neoon said: He is one of these people, which do not offer services below the cost.

Kimsufi does that in such a huge and automated scale, also with cheap power.

You Sir, have missed the point.

• JSCLJSCL Member, Host Rep

Great to see! Good work Dom & team, exciting things coming from down there.

Thanked by 2Rhys Clouvider
  • drivexdrivex Member

Didn't want to make a new thread, but I have something to say about this provider. Searched for a new dedicated server for my private needs and found out about Clouvider.

I must admit that i never considered UK as location for my hosting needs, because of the GCHQ and there spy techniques and that's why i usually go with Netherlands for my dedicated servers, but found a tempting offer at clouvider. Sadly, it wasn't in stock - but after sending an e-mail, i've got a response five (!) minutes later with an even better offer for the same price. Had some questions and a little chat with @clouvider and after an hour i've purchased the dedicated server and it was up and running in less than 10 hours. That's what i call fast, even someone had to drive to the DC to swap out the disks etc.

I'm honest, i was a little worried about the peering and speeds to my region in Europe first, but wow....Clouvider has a superb network. A little bit higher latency than Netherlands, but still more throughput to some locations than - for example - Leasewebs volume network. They focus mainly on UK, but maybe we see them join AMS-iX or DECIX in the future :P

Actually i'm just waiting for the IPMI access, but the server is up and running and in use - and it runs more than smooth. So if you're looking for a dedicated server and aren't in for the cheap of the cheapest, but looking for personal and fast support, make sure to check clouvider at least out for an offer.

@drivex thank you very much for your order with us and the very kind words!

We're most certainly looking to expand our network footprint across Europe, that's something we plan for 2018/19 AMS-IX and DECIX definitely are on the radar ! :)

Thanks!

Heaving said that, just wanted to direct attention to our Summer Sale where we had E3-1270V5, 16 GB DDR4 ECC, Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB with 20TB of bandwidth as low as £49 / month and some other great opportunities with stock as low as 1 unit only on some of them.

UK Dedicated Servers for more info
    or https://console.clouvider.co.uk/cart/dedicated-server-sale to order

Thanked by 2drivex OnApp_Terry
  • cociucociu Member
    edited July 2017

nice, and good luck.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • any stated mitigation capacity ?

edited July 2017

@JoeMerit said:
    any stated mitigation capacity ?

We don't share by policy, none of the serious providers do, naturally depends on the attack vectors, etc. it's very considerable and we have ability to failover to NTT for their Arbor protection, that we still keep, for practically full backbone capacity as they can filter ingress to their core. We do our best to keep the Customer online, it's (usually) not the Customer's fault that he or she has been DDoS'ed after all.

We use all uplinks to mitigate as we propagate FlowSpec across our Juniper Core, you can quickly count how many Tier 1s we have to figure out the 'minimum capacity' we might have :).

Thanked by 2vimalware JoeMerit
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

drivex said: I must admit that i never considered UK as location for my hosting needs, because of the GCHQ and there spy techniques and that's why i usually go with Netherlands for my dedicated servers

You might want to reconsider that. The Netherlands was already one of the most mass-surveillance-heavy countries in Europe, and it only got worse with the new tapping law that was passed several days ago. Some of the main points:

• Mass tapping is now completely legalized; the required bar to meet has been reduced from "targeted interception for a specific investigation" to "plausibly useful for something".
    • Indirectly compromising ("hacking") systems is now legalized; that is, intelligence services may break into systems that are not owned or operated by a specific target, but that could instead be useful vectors to get closer to a target. An example would be "breaking into the phone of a relative of a target, even if said relative is not involved at all".
    • Real-time unrestricted access to databases of hospitals, internet providers, and so on is legalized.
    • All of the collected data may be freely shared with intelligence agencies in other countries, without any further filtering or inspection. This is very likely specifically meant for dealing with traffic from eg. the AMS-IX.
    • The 'oversight committee' consists of a very small group of people with obvious conflicts of interest.

Pretty much every expert organization (including the Dutch Data Protection Authority, a government organization!) argued against this law, but it was passed anyway. If the GCHQ concerns you, this list should be enough reason to completely avoid the Netherlands.

Thanked by 2crashdump drivex

Right, so we're not such a bad choice after all then :-).

Thanked by 2Aidan vimalware
  • @Clouvider said:

.... We do our best to keep the Customer online, it's (usually) not the Customer's fault that he or she has been DDoS'ed after all.

Appreciate this attitude.

I've been running service critical stuff like Gitlab on your network and metrics logging for a few months.

I like seeing these incremental improvements.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • I'm also impressed by @Clouvider. Have a small sensitive project which am surely going to host on them.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • @clouvider does mitigation equipment do anything for ipv6 ?

@JoeMerit said:
    @clouvider does mitigation equipment do anything for ipv6 ?

Yes, it does. That was the main criteria for us when choosing the solution :-).

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2017

Nvm.

• drivexdrivex Member

@joepie91 said:

drivex said: I must admit that i never considered UK as location for my hosting needs, because of the GCHQ and there spy techniques and that's why i usually go with Netherlands for my dedicated servers

You might want to reconsider that. The Netherlands was already one of the most mass-surveillance-heavy countries in Europe, and it only got worse with the new tapping law that was passed several days ago. Some of the main points:

• Mass tapping is now completely legalized; the required bar to meet has been reduced from "targeted interception for a specific investigation" to "plausibly useful for something".
    • Indirectly compromising ("hacking") systems is now legalized; that is, intelligence services may break into systems that are not owned or operated by a specific target, but that could instead be useful vectors to get closer to a target. An example would be "breaking into the phone of a relative of a target, even if said relative is not involved at all".
    • Real-time unrestricted access to databases of hospitals, internet providers, and so on is legalized.
    • All of the collected data may be freely shared with intelligence agencies in other countries, without any further filtering or inspection. This is very likely specifically meant for dealing with traffic from eg. the AMS-IX.
    • The 'oversight committee' consists of a very small group of people with obvious conflicts of interest.

Pretty much every expert organization (including the Dutch Data Protection Authority, a government organization!) argued against this law, but it was passed anyway. If the GCHQ concerns you, this list should be enough reason to completely avoid the Netherlands.

Funny, i‘ve read the exact same yesterday on a news paper. But i‘m still interested into the difference to UK. Maybe @clouvider can shed some light. I‘m not sure if the rules of traditional broadband providers do apply to hosting providers in UK too.

@CConner said:
    Could you give me a max Gbps it can handle?

Sorry, we're not sharing this as a policy. None of the serious providers do, naturally depends on the attack vectors, etc. it's very considerable and we have ability to failover to NTT for their Arbor protection, that we still keep, for practically full backbone capacity as they can filter ingress to their core. We do our best to keep the Customer online, it's (usually) not the Customer's fault that he or she has been DDoS'ed after all.

We use all uplinks to mitigate as we propagate FlowSpec across our Juniper Core, you can quickly count how many Tier 1s we have to figure out the 'minimum capacity' we might have :).

Yeah, saw it in a post above. Sorry for bothering.

If you were to state it, it would be a good selling point.

drivex said: Funny, i‘ve read the exact same yesterday on a news paper. But i‘m still interested into the difference to UK. Maybe @clouvider can shed some light. I‘m not sure if the rules of traditional broadband providers do apply to hosting providers in UK too.

The legislation that came in with regards to storing / providing access to flow data for certain Customers where legally required does not touch all ISPs - Home Office has to request it, sign a contract, and compensate provider for deploying the solution.

Last time I checked we're not heaving Home Office as our Customer ;-).

Thanked by 2drivex Junkless
    edited July 2017

@CConner said:
    Yeah, saw it in a post above. Sorry for bothering.

If you were to state it, it would be a good selling point.

I know, but then:

• 1) you give the attacker information that might be used against you when preparing the attack,
    • 2) invites some nasty people who are interesting in attacking to play with it - we don't need that, and
    • 3) you join the race of boasting who has more, and since the rules ain't really clear, you get organisations like SeFlow who calculate in backbone capacity of Level3 into that as they have FlowSpec capability on their session with L3.
    • 4 ) different types of attack use different resources in your network/appliance and thus naturally the capacity varies per vector / type of attack.
    • 5) we have capability of failing over protection to NTT with virtually, I hate this word, 'unlimited' capacity, since they can mitigate it at the ingress to their global network in every PoP.

There's already a provider here on this forum, from the UK, who claims to have 100 Gbps while heaving a single upstream and dropping Customers who 'abuse' their protection. It just doesn't make any sense. Anyone can say they have 1TB capacity.

We really don't need to get into this level of pseudo competition.

Hope it makes sense :).

edited July 2017

Yeah, it does make sense.

I asked the question because we are expanding at a rapid rate, and are looking for an UK location. We host gameservers, and as you might you know, they get attacked. A lot. Do you think it will be able to handle those attacks and will the protection activate fast enough ( 1 - 2 seconds )? Mainly DNS amp and UDP / ICMP floods.

Let me PM to discuss details :).

• dynamodynamo Member
    edited July 2017

@Clouvider said: There's already a provider here on this forum, from the UK, who claims to have 100 Gbps while heaving a single upstream and dropping Customers who 'abuse' their protection.

You missed the name this time :p But again.. seriously?

• maldoviamaldovia Member
    edited July 2017

@joepie91 said:

So what country would you recommend we hide our tendie recipes in?