Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dediserve acquired by Iomart Group plc - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dediserve acquired by Iomart Group plc

2»

Comments

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

William said: Keep in mind that Dediserve was/is a simple LTD with only a few people as well though, not a major corp with own financial+legal dept.

I am sure that accountants studied the finance part. It is impossible for us to know the real economic picture of a company, so, for such a big acquisition there are a lot of things we will never know about.
    BTW, what I wrote before is a general default for company world that can maybe explain the dediserve deal and declares the difference of what a company worth compared to the yearly profits.

• LeeLee Veteran

WHT said: From LET to 7.3 million, well done!

Not quite, LET won't contribute significantly to their profit.

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • I ve been using dediserve for more than 1 year and they are providing constantly stable service.

congratz on the selling for €7.9m cash.

lets hope to see more reliable services from dediserve

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • hanoihanoi Member
    edited July 2017

Hope you will not be SliceHost version 2

In my memories, IOMart seem good in UK.

Farewell Dediserve.

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • vmhausvmhaus Member, Top Host, Host Rep
    edited July 2017

@hanoi said:
    Hope you will not be SliceHost version 2

In my memories, IOMart seem good in UK.

Farewell Dediserve.

For those who wonder about SliceHost

http://37signals.com/founderstories/slicehost

• Good going dediserve team.

Hope the specials don't get yanked from customers.

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • dediservedediserve Member
    edited July 2017

For what it's worth the 1500 vm customer figure is very wrong :) and the millions of hardware we have is actually a matter of public record in our accounts filings each year :)

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • And the quoted profit figure is from FY 2015 :)

Thanked by 2Junkless netomx
  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

dediserve said: And the quoted profit figure is from FY 2015 :)

The numbers quoted would need to be way way way off in order to justify the price. That or you have something else of much greater value. Which again goes back to tech (Intellectual Property?).

Congrats on your success regardless. But if the valuation is based on your profit/turnover, then heck my company may be worth more than I thought :D.

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Also don't forget that the value isn't just in the money invested into the company; it's also in the risks that have already been weathered.

It's one thing to hire a bunch of developers to build you a panel, for example, but a whole other thing to have an actually well-functioning panel that works as promised. By acquiring a company with functioning custom software, you're essentially sidestepping the "but what if it ends up being crap" scenario (because you know it isn't), and that's worth something as well.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

joepie91 said: It's one thing to hire a bunch of developers to build you a panel, for example, but a whole other thing to have an actually well-functioning panel that works as promised.

They use OnApp.

Francisco

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2017

@Francisco said:

joepie91 said: It's one thing to hire a bunch of developers to build you a panel, for example, but a whole other thing to have an actually well-functioning panel that works as promised.

They use OnApp.

Francisco

I don't think it was to be taken literally.

Same scenario can apply to any business.

Edit; and OnApp is great, we use it too ;-).

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2017

@Francisco said:

They use OnApp.

Francisco

They may very well, it was just a specific example of how there can be (invisible) value in already-weathered risks :) I haven't used Dediserve, so I have no idea whether they in particular use custom software. It'll apply to other aspects of the business as well.

• @Francisco said:

They use OnApp.

Francisco

I was waiting silently to see who was gonna go ahead and say it.

Thanked by 2netomx 17brownj

@serverian said:

@Francisco said:

They use OnApp.

Francisco

You can always rely on me being a loudmouth.

Francisco

Thanked by 2netomx 17brownj

@Francisco said:

@serverian said:

@Francisco said:

They use OnApp.

Francisco

You can always rely on me being a loudmouth.

Francisco

I still don't understand what's the problem with it.

@Clouvider said:

It took Onapp the better part of a year of pain/suffering before their storage worked 'ok'. There's some long winded threads from the seflow guy on WHT documenting all of it and it was nothing but a laughable mess of them not addressing issues.

Right now they're likely in 'dont fuck with it' mode, but at some point they'll want to add a new big feature and the potential of a gongshow is high.

Francisco

edited July 2017

@Francisco said:

@Clouvider said:

It took Onapp the better part of a year of pain/suffering before their storage worked 'ok'. There's some long winded threads from the seflow guy on WHT documenting all of it and it was nothing but a laughable mess of them not addressing issues.

Right now they're likely in 'dont fuck with it' mode, but at some point they'll want to add a new big feature and the potential of a gongshow is high.

Francisco

They add new big features.

No one asked the guy in WHT to run it untested. You don't run into production without testing infra even if you buy it done for you. We had similar (some) issues and we made sure they were resolved before we went even close to production stage.

• @Clouvider said:

No one asked the guy in WHT to run it untested. You don't run into production without testing infra even if you buy it done for you. We had similar (some) issues and we made sure they were resolved before we went even close to production stage.

But not all bugs can be discovered under lab infrastructure. An example? On high load random vdisks begun unusable (running vm still running, but no way to reboot them until you reboot the storage controller) with error "unable to activate all paths". We took 3 tickets + ditlev enquiry + full issue report to see onapp saying "I.S. is complex and we know that under high load we see that error...". They finally fixed on 5.4 version that is now running from 3 weeks without any issue.

This is just an example on how is not always possible find bugs in lab infrastructure.

p.s. OnAPP on v5.4 is working great without any critical know bugs.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • matteob said: p.s. OnAPP on v5.4 is working great without any critical know bugs.

Do 5.3 API Calls (Network and else) work on 5.4?

• OnApp_TerryOnApp_Terry Member
    edited July 2017

@DigitalFyre said:

matteob said: p.s. OnAPP on v5.4 is working great without any critical know bugs.

Do 5.3 API Calls (Network and else) work on 5.4?

There were some API changes. Probably best to look at the guide changelog: https://docs.onapp.com/display/54API/Change+Log

• OnApp_Terry said: There were some API changes. Probably best to look at the guide changelog: https://docs.onapp.com/display/54API/Change+Log

ModulesGarden and I will have fun :)

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Very well done @dediserve. When I heard the news I had to do a double take, that's alot of money.

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited July 2017

Francisco said: It took Onapp the better part of a year of pain/suffering before their storage worked 'ok'

If it would only be that - there was actually a LOT of data loss for multiple customers with the useless NAS/SAN back then... and you had no real choice to use anything else...

matteob said: But not all bugs can be discovered under lab infrastructure. An example? On high load random vdisks begun unusable (running vm still running, but no way to reboot them until you reboot the storage controller) with error "unable to activate all paths".

That only tells me their QA sucks. You always test with 100% load to be expected and then with some more.

edited July 2017

@matteob the issue mentioned was very easy to find out in the lab envirnoment. You just needed to create a few hundred VMs to test it.

I'm merely saying that using a guy who didn't do basic lab tests as an example is not necessarily representative to @Francisco's attempt to show that using OnApp is a bad idea. Which I will reiterate is a great system and we're very happy with them.

• @Clouvider said:
    @matteob the issue mentioned was very easy to find out in the lab envirnoment. You Ojust needed to create a few hundred VMs to test it.

I'm merely saying that using a guy who didn't do basic lab tests as an example is not necessarily representative to @Francisco's attempt to show that using OnApp is a bad idea. Which I will reiterate is a great system and we're very happy with them.

Not so easy because you also need to put load on vm and wait some days doing constant operations on it. In addition you not had chabce because previous version cause disk degradation. But now that issues are solved so no reason to compliants and ho ot :)

Best lick for new dediserve adventures

edited July 2017

@matteob said:

@Clouvider said:
    @matteob the issue mentioned was very easy to find out in the lab envirnoment. You Ojust needed to create a few hundred VMs to test it.

Not so easy because you also need to put load on vm and wait some days doing constant operations on it. In addition you not had chabce because previous version cause disk degradation. But now that issues are solved so no reason to compliants and ho ot :)

Best lick for new dediserve adventures

Exactly, that's how one should test before going into production :p. I agree.

Best of luck!

• @J1021 said:
    The deal is a windfall

please go outside if you must do that ! :*

• WTF. Why do you have to necro this?!

• @sigoat said:
    please go outside if you must do that ! :*

What in the living fuck are these necros, you don't even contribute anything of substance to the thread.

Thanked by 1skorous